The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dowsing or Dousing...is there any truth in it ?  (Read 30095 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Dowsing or Dousing...is there any truth in it ?
« Reply #25 on: 27/05/2006 22:16:26 »
Ray..that's cool.

I may well take you up on that....Soon I'll be travelling all over the south east so I may take you up on your kind invitation...besides...I really wanna test drive a tank !!..YAYYYYYY !!!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28/05/2006 00:02:01 »
Is Rommel getting some competition here??

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #27 on: 28/05/2006 00:11:11 »
We could have a TNS day out.

While i'm flattening everyone's cars in Rays cheiftan Tank, Ray could be teaching everyone else how to find water, sounds good to me

Michael
« Last Edit: 28/05/2006 01:37:05 by ukmicky »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28/05/2006 00:53:05 »
That's a great idea.....I've often said that The naked Scientist should pay for all of us to get together....preferably all expenses paid and First Class.....we could go on a round the world field trip in the name of science !! ;)

Regarding the dowsing rods....I suppose I'd only be 100% convinced if the rods work when I'm holding them !!...but I will bow to an impressive demonstration also ! :)

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #29 on: 28/05/2006 01:31:30 »
i'll leave it too you to break the bad news to ray ;)

Michael

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 28/05/2006 03:46:25 »
Go for it Neil, I think I will send you my old rods for sure!

Offline Amaris

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.universalessence.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 29/05/2006 12:20:41 »
Hi, a new member login in here...
I had to comment on my own experience here too, since you tickled my interest :D

I am from Finland where dowsing for water has been used for a long time.
The reason me and a friend decided to try it out was that my friend had moved to a new house, but for some reason her other daughter would not sleep properly in the new home. She was usually falling asleep easy and hardly ever woke up during the night.This went on for few months before we decided to start experimenting.

One theory we came up with was that there may be something in the position of the bed and decided to dowse the house for water.
We used a simple silver ring hanging on a thread, rather than the rods most people use.
The ring did not sway or move anywhere apart from in the bathroom and right above her daughters bed. And in these places it was swinging rather wildly. We also got 2 other people to try the same, without telling them anything about her daughters sleeping problem, and they got the same results in the same places.

So in the name of experiment, we moved her bed to other side of the room, and she has been sleeping well ever since.

I also have a rose quartz pendulum that I recently bought in vain attempt to see if I could dowse for other things. SO far I can report that I can not get definate answers to life universe and everything....;)

So as it comes to finding water, I believe it works, when it comes to dowsing for other things, I still remain a sceptic.

Offline Roy P

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29/05/2006 14:41:21 »
It's all bollox! And anyone who thinks it isn't can prove it by taking up James 'the Great' Randi's challenge, and win themselves a million dollars!

Offline Roy P

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29/05/2006 14:48:30 »
Plus, as DaveShorts has already pointed out, wherever you dig the chances of finding water is pretty high.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #34 on: 29/05/2006 23:55:41 »
Metal dowsing rods definitely work but so do hazel twigs. A dowsing device is an unstable object that can respond to small changes in the way that you hold it.  If there IS anything in it it is probably your body reacting to a change in static electrical field in the area.

Static electrical fields are really funny things and can be detected using an electrode connected to a mosfet amplifier.  Many years ago I assessed an intruder detector that was built this way.  It would detect people coming into a room quite easily  and could even detect a person tensing and untensing the muscles of their arm from a distance of several metres.  Unfortunalely it would also detect people switching flourecent lights on and off and so was very subject to interference and not reliable as an intruder alarm.

The human body is also sensitive to changes of static electrical field and thus can feed back to trigger a dowsing effect when the local electrical field gradient changes.  these changes in field gradient may be associated with varous natural phenomena but I would not expect them to be particularly reliable.

Magnetic field deviations and gravitational field deviations are also used in surveying for underground objects but in general much more sensitive detectors than compass needles or pendulums are used to carry out serious surveys.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!
« Last Edit: 30/05/2006 00:00:22 by Soul Surfer »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30/05/2006 01:55:40 »
Thanks soul surfer that is good imformation and very informative. That device seemed to be a cool device was there any way to modify it so it was less sensitive to other stimuli? Was it the body flipping the switch or the florescent light itself that set it off? I am assuming it was the arm in motion, akin to the muscle being flexed....karen

Offline Ernest F

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25/08/2016 19:43:59 »
 I do believe there is a science to divining. Ok to explain as example solar panel works with magnetism and kinetic energy. A warm spot and a cold spot create magnetism which in turn creates a kinetic energy in the middle from atoms moving back and forth. So with underground water you would have the warm surfaces around it and the cold from the water which is normally 20 degree colder than dirt and air. Then the movement of the water would create a kinetic energy. Be it a metal rod or a tree limb with minerals in it. This should create a pull much like a lode stone would on a piece of metal. it is more than just chance. I think if some one took time to figure it out from a science or mechanical point of view they could possible get it to a 90 percent chance or above. Simply put cold=negative Hot=positive both put together with something in the middle of them with minerals in it equal magnetic. Which is how a lot of stuff underground is measured with modern tools
« Last Edit: 25/08/2016 19:58:34 by Ernest F »

Offline agyejy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 25/08/2016 20:14:42 »
I do believe there is a science to divining.

You are mistaken.

Ok to explain as example solar panel works with magnetism and kinetic energy. A warm spot and a cold spot create magnetism which in turn creates a kinetic energy in the middle from atoms moving back and forth.

That isn't even remotely close to how a solar panel works.

So with underground water you would have the warm surfaces around it and the cold from the water which is normally 20 degree colder than dirt and air. Then the movement of the water would create a kinetic energy. Be it a metal rod or a tree limb with minerals in it. This should create a pull much like a lode stone would on a piece of metal.

The attraction you describe does not exist as no significant macroscopic magnetic fields are generated solely from temperature differences between water and soil or air. Also water in thermal contact with soil for significant amounts of time will tend to be the same temperature as the soil in contact with it due to thermodynamics.

it is more than just chance. I think if some one took time to figure it out from a science or mechanical point of view they could possible get it to a 90 percent chance or above. Simply put cold=negative Hot=positive both put together with something in the middle of them with minerals in it equal magnetic. Which is how a lot of stuff underground is measured with modern tools

Once again you are mistaken and that is definitely not how magnetism works.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27/08/2016 12:50:11 »
I do believe there is a science to divining.
There is; the physical side is called the ideomotor effect, the psychological side involves some or all of expectation bias, confirmation bias, the Texas Sharpshooter effect, the band-waggon effect, choice-supportive bias, framing, the clustering illusion, hindsight bias, illusory correlation, the overconfidence effect, self-serving bias, selective reporting, in-group bias, etc. (I probably missed some). See Cognitive Biases. The science suggests the divining effect isn't real.

Ok to explain as example solar panel works with magnetism and kinetic energy. A warm spot and a cold spot create magnetism which in turn creates a kinetic energy in the middle from atoms moving back and forth.
Nope, solar panels use the photoelectric effect.

Then the movement of the water would create a kinetic energy.
You don't seem to understand what energy is; it's not some sort of stuff that gets created, it's an indirectly observed quantity; kinetic energy is what something has by virtue of its motion and depends on its speed and mass.

I think if some one took time to figure it out from a science or mechanical point of view they could possible get it to a 90 percent chance or above. Simply put cold=negative Hot=positive both put together with something in the middle of them with minerals in it equal magnetic.
I'm afraid that's nonsense. To quote Wolfgang Pauli, "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."

There have been many controlled tests of dowsing and it never works. You may think that's because an artificial test isn't like dowsing out in the real world, but an important part of such tests is to get the dowser's agreement that the test conditions are acceptable and the test is one they feel they can easily succeed at. Then they are given a 'dummy run', where they are told the position of the material that they are to dowse for, and allowed to ensure that they can detect it as they expect, and that they get no false positives from the other locations where the material could be hidden. When they are fully satisfied that they have successfully dowsed the given material in the given test situation, the material is moved to a random position without their knowledge (which could be the same position they dowsed in the dummy run), and they are asked to find it. They never do any better than chance, and are often shocked by their failure. They also tend to make all kinds of excuses, despite having previously agreed they were happy with the conditions and that they could successfully dowse when they knew where the material was.

There have been suggestions that when dowsing for water, the terrain or vegetation provides subliminal cues to where water is likely to be, which sounds plausible, but a number of tests have shown that this doesn't seem to be the case (except for obvious situations like dry stream beds). There have also been suggestions that electromagnetic fields created or warped by moving water or that changes in water vapour density (local humidity) might be detected, but again, tests show that such fields are at the threshold of instrumental detection, and even electromagnetic fields many times stronger can't be detected by a dowser, likewise for local humidity changes.

So not only does it fail under controlled testing, but there is no plausible mechanism for detection; the physics of everyday life constrains the possibilities. Movement of dowsing rods or pendulums can be explained by the ideomotor effect.

Offline mrsmith2211

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13/09/2016 00:22:13 »
I work at a water utility, and an old guy taught me, Now it is a when all else fails, recorded measurements, locators, gpr no good due to high clay soils, and we have had a 75% guess of locating water and sewer mains etc. when all else fails.

We at the cabins built main one in the 20's, second one in the 50's, needed to locate water, sewer, cable lines for underground electric. I did it with warlock sticks, as we call them.

Now my 86 year old mom was like really? I said sire here they are, a couple of bent coat hangers. Hold them lightly walk and see what happens. She walked the rods twisted inwards, drain line from the bunkhouse to the septic system, she happened to hit on.

Was on another board, described bending the coat hangers at a 90degree with 3 or four inches, hold them as level and loosely as possible, and just walk down the sidewalk in front of your house.

He did, the rods moved and he was so freaked he vowed never to do it again.

I am not familiar with dwsing for wells or minerals etc., but it works well for buried utilities for me. My thought why is the soil is disturbed during installation and somehow the warlock sticks are picking up on that.

I have heard so many refutals, probably 100 times the number of people that will try it, don't worry you will probably burn in hell for other things.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #39 on: 13/09/2016 00:22:13 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums