The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: A rather specific question about transmittance  (Read 2071 times)

Offline skipperZ

• First timers
    • View Profile
A rather specific question about transmittance
« on: 29/04/2006 23:30:21 »
First off, sorry if this subject has been discussed before.  I'm too lazy to look through more than the first page of threads.  

I was wondering about the transmittance/opacity of (liquid) water, and the human body.  I found a very nice chart on wiki of the opacity of earth's atmosphere, newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Atmospheric_electromagnetic_transmittance_or_opacity.jpg [nonactive], and have been looking for something similar for the ocean (or just large quantities of water in general) and the human body.  For example, I know that water is much more opaque to visible light than the atmosphere, and the human body even more so.  My primary reason for asking is that I'd like to know what sort of EM radiation are water and the human body the most opaque to.  

I've spent several hours playing with wiki and google trying to find some good answers, but to not much avail.  Anybody have any helpful information?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: A rather specific question about transmittance
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2006 10:37:18 »
Medium to long wave infra red probably has the highest attenuation factor because thats where all the molecular vibration frequencies are and there are so many of them that are possible the spectral lines merge into continuous bands of absorbtion.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: A rather specific question about transmittance
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2006 10:37:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums