The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can drinking lots of fizzy water alter my internal pH?  (Read 1425 times)

Teresa

Teresa asked the Naked Scientists:

In an effort to drink my standard 8 glasses of water per day, I often find myself drinking most of my allowance as carbonated mineral water.

Given that the bubbles are CO2, presumably making the water more acidic than everyday tapwater, will this affect the overall pH of my physiology?

Thanks!

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 27/09/2011 12:01:02 by _system »

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Can drinking lots of fizzy water alter my internal pH?
« Reply #1 on: 28/09/2011 13:55:10 »
No,

You will however exhale more CO2 per day (or burp more  [8D]). The human body is pretty effective in keeping the blood's pH in check, since small deviations can have big consequences.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2011 17:46:34 »
I think Nizzle is right; it won't be allowed to effect the balance of your body's ph for long.   

this is because raised co2 levels in the blood are uncomfortable and distressing even at v low levels and fatal at high levels.  for example children with longterm breathing difficulties will go as far as to implement blood chemistry homoeostatic mechanisms to counter the acidity of the excess co2 they have in their bloodstream.

Moreover I don't think there is a mechanism in the Gastrointestinal tract for absorption of CO2 from the food - I think it will all stay in the GIT and come out one direction or tother as wind

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2011 17:46:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums