The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does microwaving food compromise the nutritional quality?  (Read 2308 times)

Tony Bunn

Tony Bunn  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Chris,

As a scientist myself (physicist involved in medical research) I am always entertained and learn a lot from your Friday show with Redi; congrats on this wonderful way of getting the public to understand  what we are passionate about.

Dogma has it that cooking or heating of food in a microwave oven destroys the natural quality of the food and is an unhealthy alternative to conventional processes. As the wavelength of microwave radiation is of the order of 10-12cm how is it possible that this can interfere with structures of the order of microns? I also understand that dipole rotation causes the heating , particular on the abundant water molecules in food, but can this effect also denature proteins, amino acids etc and degrade food quality. I suspect this generally held public view is not correct. Please elaborate.

Kind regards and keep up the excellent show,

Tony

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 27/09/2011 23:01:02 by _system »

Offline The Penguin

• View Profile
Does microwaving food compromise the nutritional quality?
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2011 17:09:11 »
Firstly you must understand that ANY form of cooking will destroy some nutrients. In regards to microwave versus conventional cooking techniques, the microwave actually retains more nutrient by a slight percentage. This is because of the rapid heating and the retention of water and hence the water soluble nutrients.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Does microwaving food compromise the nutritional quality?
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2011 17:09:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums