The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: THE EARTH  (Read 2974 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
THE EARTH
« on: 30/04/2006 20:22:54 »
If I placed a blob of molten iron in space would it remain a blob of molten iron and on a similar vein how did the earth cool off in the beginning when it was a ball of molten rock.

The heat energy must have been converted into something else maybe another form of energy as it is conserved and cant be destroyed but as their is nothing in the vacuum of space for the heat energy to transfer to where did it go.

Michael

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Re: THE EARTH
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2006 20:32:55 »

Is it the same way skim forms on my coco? Did it reradiate off into space because the was not enough energy to sustain the output at a level to keep it all boiling?

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/04/2006 22:24:17 »
*sticks finger out of window up into space*

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!..Space is cold !

Surely, a little blob  (did you mean a little blob Michael ?) of molten iron is going to cool down very quickly and the heat just dissipates into space...it's still there just mega diluted.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: 30/04/2006 23:52:24 »
Even at room temperature things emit infra red light, which will take energy away from an object. Normally you don't notice this as you are in a room whose walls which are at about the same temperature as you so you absorb almost as much IR as you emit, so don't cool down too fast.

This is why you get frosts on a clear night - the ground cools down by emmitting infra red into space and very little comes back, as empty space has a radiation temperature of about 2.7K (-267C). If on the other hand the night is cloudy there are clouds which are at maybe 278K (5C) so the ground receives nearly as much radiation as it emits. So the clouds act as insulation.

It is also why thermos flasks are silvered - to reflect all the IR back in or back out and stop their contents changing temperature.

So the world looses it's heat as IR, as do any objects in space - most satellite designs involve large areas painted black to act as radiators to get rid of excess heat..
« Last Edit: 30/04/2006 23:53:43 by daveshorts »

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2006 00:10:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky
]If I placed a blob of molten iron in space would it remain a blob of molten iron

I believe the surface tension would be enough to keep it that way.

quote:

and on a similar vein how did the earth cool off in the beginning when it was a ball of molten rock.

The heat energy must have been converted into something else maybe another form of energy as it is conserved and cant be destroyed but as their is nothing in the vacuum of space for the heat energy to transfer to where did it go.

In the first instance, radiation.  Some evaporation.  And finally, don't forget that the centre of the Earth is still pretty hot.

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2006 10:01:54 »
quote:
 don't forget that the centre of the Earth is still pretty hot.

Just like my coco

:D:):D :D:):D

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 01/05/2006 10:01:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums