The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What do we do if we are doomed?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What do we do if we are doomed?
« on: 04/10/2011 00:35:49 »
This is purely hypothetical, but if we knew of some unavoidable natural cataclysmic event that would wipe out all human civilization, should we attempt to share our accumulated knowledge with the rest of the Universe by transmitting it from Earth in as many ways as we can conceive, or would we be doing the Universe a favour if we kept schtum? 

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/2011 05:34:19 »
Good question.

In preparation of said event I have constructed a paper plane which I have spent a whole 5* minutes writing down my entire wealth of knowledge. At the right time...... I will climb a ladder and throw it sky bound. I think that will suffice.

*It was really just 2 minutes because I wanted ewe all to think I was really really klevur !

Offline traveler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/10/2011 11:08:51 »
Aren't we already broadcasting by a lot of different means.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/10/2011 12:38:31 »
Does ET even own a gramophone ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #4 on: 04/10/2011 12:55:18 »
I think there would be worldwide chaos, anarchy and mayham.. So broadcasting something will not be a priority..

In a way, if someone was able to convince the entire world that there was an unavoidable cataclysmic armageddony event coming, even if it's a lie, it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/2011 16:17:44 »
I shall commence writing everything I know this very instant, so as be prepared for such a cataclysmic event.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #6 on: 04/10/2011 16:18:11 »
Right, what shall I do now?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/10/2011 18:23:06 »

Ewe wrote stuff then posted too !!.....this took ewe max 27 seconds......I took two minutes !...this means I know more than ewe.........I am klevur !

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04/10/2011 19:22:56 »

Ewe wrote stuff then posted too !!.....this took ewe max 27 seconds......I took two minutes !...this means I know more than ewe.........I am klevur !

Or you write really slowly.

I can write faster than you, no matter how quickly you write.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/10/2011 20:03:10 »
I thought I had written a response, but can't find it  [xx(]

Anyway, I suppose the question is what we would wish to broadcast to the stars.  One would have to assume that any civilization that would be capable of receiving a radio or laser broadcast from us would be no more than a century behind us, and likely significantly more advanced.  So, there would be no reason to send the technical schematics of the latest i-phone. 

While it is certainly possible that Earth was seeded with prokaryotes from the stars, it is unlikely that the latest terrestrial medical advancements would be meaningful to aliens who would most certainly have different physiology than humans.

Certainly it would be a bad idea to broadcast the technical specifications and schematics of a nuclear bomb & the greatest military weaponry. 

One could broadcast our greatest artwork and creative works..  would it be interesting to Aliens?  Would they understand Picasso?  Perhaps photographs & videos of earth.  Maybe one could transmit a sense of our culture, but then again it would all be alien to the aliens.

One could send our complete DNA sequence, as well as some of our favorite foods in hopes that a generous alien species would resurrect humanity.  If we had the DNA sequence of Aliens, would we resurrect the species?  Would they be kept as museum exhibits and scientific oddities, or would they be afforded equal rights on our home planet?  And, what would a resurrected human be without a human culture?

I suppose I would design probes to disseminate genetic material around the universe.  Bacteria, Plants, insects, humans, whatever one could design to survive a thousand or a million year journey to stars, and then land on planet surfaces, deal with atmospheric variation, and grow & flourish.  What about adding the entire human genome as an Untranslated region (UTR) in algae.  Obviously a lot would get degraded over time...  but... perhaps something would endure through the ages as new life forms would evolve.

How would such an ark treat planets with life vs those without life?

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #10 on: 05/10/2011 02:05:31 »
If I remember correctly, none of our radio "noise" would even be decipherable at the nearest neighboring star system of Alpha Centauri. I do suppose a more directed method such as lasers could allow for the transmission of information over much larger differences, but where would we know to point the laser? Make a bunch of lasers and point them in random directions in the sky? Even if we did that, what is the likelihood that an alien civilization would be directly in any given beams path at the right time? Would they be "listening" at the right time? Would they even know what wavelengths to listen for? Could they decode the information in a meaningful way if they did manage to receive it?

As far as passing on our technological knowledge goes; the civilizations that are able to receive and interpret our signals wouldn't need our technology, and those that need our technology wouldn't be able to receive and interpret our signals.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05/10/2011 17:40:52 »
So the best thing would be to build probes to send bacteria and algae to distant stars and planets in hopes of fostering the growth of new civilizations.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05/10/2011 19:20:01 »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 05/10/2011 19:20:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums