The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do Peeps Get Vertigo When Looking Over A Precipice ?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Hitchcockologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff heights.....

Look here I am hanging about bat-style very high up a tree about to pounce on a blokes head. I'm not bothered by the height and that is a tall tree !...almost twenty feet !...now that's high !!

Me...an astounding twenty feet up and not bothered at all !

Take a look at this...

woo !!

Although this person is only looking down about ten feet he is suffering a severe case of vertigo !..he's all dizzy and wants to throw up !

why's that then ?

why does looking over a high edge/precipice make ewe dizzy and stuff ?

I want to know because I am about to play YES's album 'Close To The Edge' to a friend and I need to know if I should warn him about some counter-indications !

whajafink ?

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
The Higher They Climb
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why Do Peeps Get Vertigo When Looking Over A Precipice ?
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2011 03:41:35 »
The further away the ground is the less the binocular disparity : the visual cues which tell you about your motion (parallax) become less.
You then have to rely more on the vestibular system to tell you about your motion, which in some people isn't up to the job on its own (i.e. without the visual cues).

When the vestibular system  is confused (aka dizziness) it can trigger vomiting, (e.g. car sickness), due to a my-dizzyness-may-have-been-caused-by-swallowing-poisonous-substance-better-eject-the-contents-of-stomach-as-it-could-contain-more-poison reflex.

I am about to play YES's album 'Close To The Edge'

Better off with Grandmaster flash ...
t=1m5s
« Last Edit: 11/10/2011 04:01:57 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2011 07:54:38 »

OOooooooer.......

Just looking at that pic has made me feel quite...... quite  .

I can get a bout of verdigris reading 'Wuthering Heights'!!! I know what your saying, 'surely you mean vertigo'. Well I know what I mean, and I mean 'verdigris'.... yep, I turn green.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2011 11:43:17 »
The further away the ground is the less the binocular disparity : the visual cues which tell you about your motion (parallax) become less.
You then have to rely more on the vestibular system to tell you about your motion, which in some people isn't up to the job on its own (i.e. without the visual cues).

When the vestibular system  is confused (aka dizziness) it can trigger vomiting, (e.g. car sickness), due to a my-dizzyness-may-have-been-caused-by-swallowing-poisonous-substance-better-eject-the-contents-of-stomach-as-it-could-contain-more-poison reflex.

I am about to play YES's album 'Close To The Edge'

Better off with Grandmaster flash ...
t=1m5s

Thanks RD as always for your detailed insight. As always very helpful info....I have Grandmaster Flash playing as I type this..and I have to say...akin to Don1....I'm also echoing his verdigris sentiment ! :-)...actually...it's not that bad !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/10/2011 11:48:47 »

OOooooooer.......

Just looking at that pic has made me feel quite...... quite  .

I can get a bout of verdigris reading 'Wuthering Heights'!!! I know what your saying, 'surely you mean vertigo'. Well I know what I mean, and I mean 'verdigris'.... yep, I turn green.

Vertigo and Verdigris.....quite a vulnerable combination !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 11/10/2011 11:48:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums