The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are there still companies around that will send something into space for you?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline greatcecil

• First timers
    • View Profile
I've been listening to all the podcast in chronological order, and somewhere in 2006 (I think - I'm now up to 2008) there was mention of a space rocket outfit that would send something into space (that would fit in a coke can and weigh less than 250g) for $100. I've looked around the web and cannot find any body doing anything of this nature, though I can find plenty of articles about it (which don't offer fruitful links) -  was it a terrible business idea and no-one is doing it anymore or am I just using terrible search parameters? Does anyone know?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
it costs a lot more than a c-note ...

http://www.celestis.com/services.asp
« Last Edit: 14/10/2011 05:23:08 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Whew...
And, that isn't even a coke can full of anything.
That is $12,500 to send an entire gram of ashes into space!!!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Depending on what you're sending to space, there are a number of programs to send "experiments" to space.  Some are for academic research institutions.  Some are for "students".

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2011/jan/HQ_11-017_BalloonSat.html

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Hang on one second!!  So this company is putting more junk into space, orbiting the earth and the moon!!  Absolute madness!  Can they really be allowed to pollute the solar system in such a way?  I thought there was legislation to prevent this kind of thing.  Eventually if people keep doing this kind of thing moving about in future is going to be pretty dangerous, I imagine one gram of something moving at over 24,000 miles per hour is going to make a pretty big hole in any vessel unfortunate enough to encounter John Doe on his orbit!

You can imagine the conversation aboard the doomed space ship, "what hit us?!" "Oh just 1gram of some dead guy sent into space!" GREAT...  [xx(]

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
another NASA freebie option ...

Uploaded by spacelab on Sep 22, 2011
We're excited to announce YouTube Space Lab, launching with Lenovo and Space Adventures in cooperation with NASA, ESA and JAXA. Watch amazing space and science videos and, if you're 14 to 18 years old, submit a space experiment idea for your chance to win out-of-this-world prizes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T41vZCadbAk#t=45

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I had an idea about this space lab thing and as I am way over the age then I will put it down here and someone can steal it for themselves :)

The experiment will be filmed so it has to be something that can be visually analysed.  Putting a rock up there which does nothing is not going to win you any support even if it is a good space experiment.

An Ant farm would make a very interesting study, or a Wormery.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Hang on one second!!  So this company is putting more junk into space, orbiting the earth and the moon!!  Absolute madness!

I assume the idea is to attach it to another mission.  You get the sunrise service by attaching the ashes to a booster rocket that will fall back to earth.

Attach the ashes to a weather satellite, and it will stay up for a bit longer.

But...  yes, it is insane.

As far as the "Voyager Service"...  it is pointless to send some ashes.  Perhaps send a tooth or bit of flesh that would at least have enough DNA that an alien, or future archeologist would be able to study one's genetic makeup, or perhaps even generate one's clone.  But, even so, it would be better to at least send frozen blastocysts.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile

As far as the "Voyager Service"...  it is pointless to send some ashes.  Perhaps send a tooth or bit of flesh that would at least have enough DNA that an alien, or future archeologist would be able to study one's genetic makeup, or perhaps even generate one's clone.  But, even so, it would be better to at least send frozen blastocysts.

If you were going to send material containing DNA into space then it would have to be adequately protected against radiation.   The question would be, which is the best direction to send it in if you want some intelligent life to find it?

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
I heard of a company which plans to give everyone the chance to own a satellite for a few hundred pounds. A tiny satellite which will send out a 'beep'.

I'm sure I heard this on BBC Radio 4 in the last few days.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I heard of a company which plans to give everyone the chance to own a satellite for a few hundred pounds. A tiny satellite which will send out a 'beep'.

I could see it now...
Building low earth orbit satellites like fragmentation bombs.
Might as well fill up LEO with 7 billion satellite fragments.
Each going "Beep" at its own unique frequency.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile

Material World I guess 13th Oct episode

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b015pb0n

Here's the link to the ideas man
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/251588730/kicksat-your-personal-spacecraft-in-space

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
a cheaper option if "return to earth" is acceptable ... http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=34727.0

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length