The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Did you know your browser tells websites exactly where you are ?  (Read 25230 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Wow, well according to mine I live in the Chamber of Deputies of Luxembourg.  This would be the equivalent of the Houses of Parliament in the UK!  This location is at least 100km from my actual location, whats the deal?

Latitude: 49.611621
Longitude: 6.131935

If I understand what's going on correctly, one possible reason is that a wireless router that used to be in your vicinity has been relocated to Luxembourg, but I think it's more likely that it does not know the location of any wireless routers in your vicinity, so it's using your ISP's lat/long address (Entreprise DES Postes ET Telecommunications, Luxembourg) based on your IP address only.

(Either that or it decided Luxembourg is so small that everyone must be living in the same building.)
« Last Edit: 24/10/2011 06:46:03 by Geezer »

Offline damocles

• View Profile
 Hmm! ...
It seems obvious to me that some Internet agitators have decided to relocate everyone into sundry European parliamentary buildings to confront the MPs and get them to take serious action about the privacy issue! ;D

(apropos of

Wow, well according to mine I live in the Chamber of Deputies of Luxembourg.  This would be the equivalent of the Houses of Parliament in the UK!  This location is at least 100km from my actual location, whats the deal?

Latitude: 49.611621
Longitude: 6.131935

I tried it with Chrome, Firefox and IE and it places me in Kensington...which is a lot nicer than Barnet....so....I guess I've moved without knowing it !....which is nice !
'
Are you an MP? Your IP address says you are in the House of Parliament.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
On reflection, or possibly on a couple of beers, one solution to this dastardly intrusion into privacy would be to start a "router swapping club". If all the routers continuously moved around, the router hoovering service could never be able to keep up with the changes, and there would be so much uncertainty in the data that the locator would be useless.

AND before you all say it must have been more than a couple of beers, I did run a project that did something very similar to determine the root cause of power outages. Unfortunately, the data was so unreliable that no amount of artificial intelligence was able to make a decent determination, and it wasn't for the want of trying either, trust me  :D

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... If all the routers continuously moved around, the router hoovering service could never be able to keep up with the changes, and there would be so much uncertainty in the data that the locator would be useless.

Sounds like a "mix network" * ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mix_network , like TOR.

[* nothing to do with the oirish diaspora  :) ]
« Last Edit: 24/10/2011 10:12:48 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
... If all the routers continuously moved around, the router hoovering service could never be able to keep up with the changes, and there would be so much uncertainty in the data that the locator would be useless.

Sounds like a "mix network" * ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mix_network , like TOR.

[* nothing to do with the oirish diaspora  :) ]

Looks like they have it pretty much down pat.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
This post is via TOR, it's very slow because of the multiple layers,
[tip: when using TOR switch off images as images use a lot of bandwidth] 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-block/

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
Well, I was just idly checking what my local broadband options were, and after I'd entered my postcode, the comparison site declared that according to Google I was 3000-odd miles from my telephone exchange. It'd placed me somewhere near Ethiopia!  :-p 

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Hehe,

I'm near Brussels Belgium, but that OP website says I'm in Cambridge UK.
Probably because our company's servers are located there...

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums