The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is One Browser Faster Than The Other ?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Is One Browser Faster Than The Other ?
« on: 23/10/2011 18:36:34 »
I read somewhere that Chrome is the fastest browser !

why's that then ?.....What makes one browser faster than the other ?

I actually do use Chrome and I feel it is indeed faster than Firefox and IE !

ta

neil
Just Browsing !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24/10/2011 17:11:53 »
I suppose "magic" and "placebo effect" are not terribly satisfactory answers...

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #2 on: 28/10/2011 21:46:23 »
Probably software optimisation of... :
procedures and inline coding processes,
better "reusable" code blocks,
one of the best in C/C++ is being sure there are no memory leaks and calculating whether RAM is cleared and whether variables or typedefs or chunks that are not required are remained loaded.

Piles of things in machine operating overhead from all those allocations. 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/10/2011 02:23:08 »
Making the internet connections is a bottleneck in speed performance.

Some browsers make more internet connections than others when delivering the page you want.
FireFox checks with google that the page you want is OK via google safebrowsing service before getting it for you, (addons like WOT do the same).

Chrome browser is Google product, so performing the same tasks is a "one stop shop": only needs to connect to google.
« Last Edit: 29/10/2011 02:31:37 by RD »

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/2011 22:37:31 »
You got to realise that the time to load pages depends on a combination of your computer's processing speed (which hopefully shouldn't be a limiting factor, although if a web page has got too many active/interactive things then it might start to be), the data-throughput of your internet connection, and also the latency (or round-trip delay) of the net connection.

You need to understand that a typical webpage comprises the basic "html" page (which is the main text and formatting) together with many tens or even hundreds of related "assets" (primarily images/graphics, and adverts - of course).
When you go to a page, your computer requests the html part first, then when it reads that it discovers all the other assets it has to fetch, and requests each of them on a "connection". Now a few years ago, "good behaviour" practice for browsers was that you could only have 2 connections open at once. This behaviour really isn't sensible with today's complex web pages. If you were requesting a large number of small filesize assets... you could be waiting for a lot of round-trip delays just to get all the add-ins however fast the data-throughput was. With basic Windows XP and IE you can mess around with Registry settings to increase the number of concurrent connections. Google's chrome and other newer browsers will probably increase that concurrent connections-limit - which certainly helps things along (especially if you're on a connection with a high latency).
An efficient browser will also start requesting assets just as soon as it knows it needs them - before even the html part has finished downloading.
A decent broswer could also prioritise activities so it does stall rendering or fetching one particular item on the page, while it's still got other parts of the page to fetch.

I believe Google has also been developing techniques to bundle together a lot of assets with the page and thereby save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing overhead.
« Last Edit: 03/12/2011 22:42:07 by techmind »

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
« Reply #5 on: 04/12/2011 03:09:22 »
Firefox is a derivative of the Mozilla.org projects and (now non existant) Netscape Corp. browsers.
These have always been slower but no less efficient in service (perhaps more).
Unless i want fast loading i always use SeaMonkey. Its what the original "Mozilla" and Netscape browsers were but with different source writers.
SeaMonkey is by far the best broswer not Firefox or IE or Chrome or Opera.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 04/12/2011 03:09:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums