The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Seat Belt Commercial  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Seat Belt Commercial
« on: 04/05/2006 21:16:11 »
A few weeks ago, our local news did a tv special on driver safety, specifically geared towards teenage drivers.  The link below is a commercial they aired.  They said this commercial is played in the UK.  Have any of you seen it.  It was so graphic that it took my breath away and made me sob uncontrollably.  I don't know if it was the graphic nature that upset me so much, or the fact that I lost 2 cousins (brother and sister) in a car crash.  Although I can't imagine having to see that commercial on a regular basis, I would think it would have an impact on teenage drivers.

http://www.mrdudeman.com/media_pages/seat_belt_commercial.php

Carolyn

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Re: Seat Belt Commercial
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2006 21:33:57 »
Hmm... I'm not going to follow that link, 'cos I don't like car-safety-ads. Because yes, in general, they're pretty hard-hitting.
Seat belt ads, drink-driving ads, speeding ads... all things I don't regret missing out on through not having a TV!
If you see that sort of thing on a regular basis it's at least possible to know what's coming and be ready for it (or leave the room).

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 04/05/2006 21:54:56 »
Like Rosy, I do not have a TV, so I miss out on all these (and don't miss them one bit).

It is easy to naively believe they will have an impact (if you'll pardon the pun); and initially, this kind of ad probably does.  The problem is that people quickly become acclimatised to them, so each successive ad needs to be more shocking than the previous in order to have the same impact.

Is it in societies interest to get on this escalator, where we keep on trying to things ever more graphic, as it becomes ever more difficult to create that shock?

In a different way, this is akin to what some movie makers do with sex and violence.  Each new film has to be more graphic that the previous if it is to achieve the sensationalism that the movie makers desire.  In the end, the audiences just don't care how graphic the images are, and they have become desensitised to whatever you are able to throw at them, even real live sex scenes, and as graphic a mutilation as you can get while still staying inside the law.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/05/2006 22:31:05 »
Hi carolyn,

I do have a TV and can confirm , like Rosy, that yes we do have some pretty shocking seat belt ads....

That one sends the message across quite well I think...others, you may be surprised to know have been more graphic !!..

......but it's not just the graphics that set the tone...I've seen ads where the atmosphere is far more disturbing...

....if you pull the right strings with peoples minds then their imagination will do the rest of the job most admirably, it's all in the delivery of the message....That ad makes the point well and delivers the message appropriately....I think.

These ads must do some good else they wouldn't makes them.

Personally, I feel naked without wearing my seatbelt.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 04/05/2006 23:07:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep
These ads must do some good else they wouldn't makes them.

You really want to believe that the Government doesn't put money into anything unless it does some good?

I think the general answer is that about 20% of adverts hit their mark, just no-one is quite sure which 20%.

quote:

Personally, I feel naked without wearing my seatbelt.

As  a driver, I certainly agree with this but then, there is the argument that the use of seat belts has increased the risk for pedestrians, since it gives the driver greater stability in the car, and so allows them to drive faster around bends without feeling that they are being thrown about in the car.

George

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/05/2006 11:49:32 »
quote:
there is the argument that the use of seat belts has increased the risk for pedestrians, since it gives the driver greater stability in the car, and so allows them to drive faster around bends without feeling that they are being thrown about in the car

Whilst it's an argument I can see, it would take quite a lot for me to believe it... I would expect the effect to be outweighed by the fact that the driver not only doesn't feel like he's being thrown around the car, he (/she/it) really isn't, and is thus presumably less likely to lose control as a result of misjudging his speed slightly.

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 05/05/2006 13:11:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by rosy
Whilst it's an argument I can see, it would take quite a lot for me to believe it... I would expect the effect to be outweighed by the fact that the driver not only doesn't feel like he's being thrown around the car, he (/she/it) really isn't, and is thus presumably less likely to lose control as a result of misjudging his speed slightly.

There is a point of view that humans act to balance risk, and if you put in place a system that will reduce the perceived risk of a particular action, humans will push the boundaries that much further, until the overall perceived risk becomes similar to the risk they perceived before the improved safety measure was put in place.

I don't think drivers actually judge the risk of death, so any action that reduces the likelihood of death will probably not be compensated for.  What I think drivers do judge is the risk of a serious accident happening, such as one that is likely to cause serious damage to their vehicle.  Insofar as seatbelts might reduce the perceived risk of such an accident happening, it is possible that drivers may well increase their behavioural risk to balance this out.

Because drivers generally do not consider the possibility of death, it is therefore possible to take measures that reduce the possibility of death in the event of an accident, without drivers making compensating behavioural changes.  What is more difficult is to make changes in the probability of having an accident at all without some compensating behavioural changes happening.  I am not saying that such changes are impossible, only that one has to take into account the possibility that simply reducing perceived risk may not of itself be sufficient.

George
« Last Edit: 05/05/2006 13:20:32 by another_someone »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 05/05/2006 13:11:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums