The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Anyone still using a ten year old PC?  (Read 18050 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Anyone still using a ten year old PC?
« Reply #25 on: 04/12/2011 23:50:58 »
My sinclair zx spectrum (bought about 1986?) still works - tried it about 6 months ago; took me far longer to find a working cassette deck to load the programmes than anything else.  I just could not get my copy of elite to load though!  Its a very neat book-end most of the time

Could I download an mp3 of elite perhaps and load from my ipod?

I had lunch - and dinner - with David Braben who wrote Elite the other day. What a lovely guy. We discussed the Elite story; I still remain gobsmacked how he got that software to work with about 20k of memory to play with (on a BBC at least). That game was a legend and, in my view, has never been beaten.

Not to brag or anything, but, I wrote a two person interactive "Battleships and Cruisers" that would not allow any cheating. It ran in 1K of 16 bit memory, AND I made the computer myself [8D] (This was before microprocessors.)

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #26 on: 06/12/2011 16:09:44 »
My sinclair zx spectrum (bought about 1986?) still works - tried it about 6 months ago; took me far longer to find a working cassette deck to load the programmes than anything else.  I just could not get my copy of elite to load though!  Its a very neat book-end most of the time

Could I download an mp3 of elite perhaps and load from my ipod?

I had lunch - and dinner - with David Braben who wrote Elite the other day. What a lovely guy. We discussed the Elite story; I still remain gobsmacked how he got that software to work with about 20k of memory to play with (on a BBC at least). That game was a legend and, in my view, has never been beaten.

Meeting Braben sounds amazing! ... Can't get him on the show I suppose?

Frontier (Sequel to Elite) was the first PC game I ever bought; for our family's first PC. Although there were games of equal ingenuity coming along by then I still list it in my top ten.

And even that only came on a Double-Density floppy disk, which seemed pretty incredible to me.
« Last Edit: 06/12/2011 16:12:01 by peppercorn »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06/12/2011 18:29:33 »
And even that only came on a Double-Density floppy disk, which seemed pretty incredible to me.

Floppy disks! How high tech is that! I had to do everything in paper tape on an ASR-33 at ten characters per second.

(While working, I might add, in my office which was cardboard box in middle o't road.)

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #28 on: 07/12/2011 13:40:50 »

Floppy disks! How high tech is that! I had to do everything in paper tape on an ASR-33 at ten characters per second.

(While working, I might add, in my office which was cardboard box in middle o't road.)

.... By 'eck!

Even with the undreamt of quantities of storage today's programmers have at their disposal I still think it would useful for them to occasionally spare some thought for cleverer memory management.  The, apparently unnecessary, bloated nature of many applications these days (not to mention certain operating systems!) gives one much to nibble quibble about!! ::)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08/12/2011 00:26:53 »

.... By 'eck!

Even with the undreamt of quantities of storage today's programmers have at their disposal I still think it would useful for them to occasionally spare some thought for cleverer memory management.  The, apparently unnecessary, bloated nature of many applications these days (not to mention certain operating systems!) gives one much to nibble quibble about!! ::)

Hear! Hear!

As soon as the H/W guys figure out how to make the memory larger and the processors faster, the S/W guys figure out how to piss it all away. That's a slight exaggeration of course, but there is some truth to it.

Offline lightspeed301

• View Profile
Re: Anyone still using a ten year old PC?
« Reply #30 on: 04/01/2012 02:55:11 »
I regularly use my old PIII Compaq Armada E500 at 800 mhz. It was designed for Windows 2000 but it came used with XP.

Down in the basement I cached an 8088 that probably still works. Two large floppies and no hard drive. DOS 2.6 at best. Word Perfect 4.0.  Has an add-on board for memory. Might total 1 meg. Could use it for word processing and even have a carbon ribbon daisy wheel printer for high quality stuff. Thirteen characters per second.....and until very recently I also had one of those HP LaserJet 4s.  Lightning finally fried it. It might have worked on the 8088.

I am probably the only person on the planet who ever surfed the WWW with an 8088. It had a 10 meg hard drive and I ran a DOS browser called Arachne.  Took about ten minutes to load a single page. But I did it!!!!!

« Last Edit: 04/01/2012 03:00:57 by lightspeed301 »

Offline lightspeed301

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04/01/2012 03:07:48 »
Pepper

High density floppies! I actually forgot about that. One point two megs on the five inchers? Back in about 1970 my cousin took me to his UC Irvine IT lab. He proudly showed me an early version of Space invaders. Not very much more then Pong, really.

PS I still have my original AOL account from when it was strictly DOS. Had a four digit password. No WWW but a fair number of publications were available. I remember reading The Atlantic.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2012 03:15:22 by lightspeed301 »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05/01/2012 22:56:29 »
I have a vintage 1980's 8085 computer complete with two 5 inch floppy drives that runs CPM software (also with cassete tape input) .
It comes with circuit diagram that shows every chip.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05/01/2012 23:09:02 »
I have a home made device for displaying weather satellite pictures that I built out of TTL chips to my own design in 1984 which really amounts to little more than a video card but of which I am inordinatly proud and keep connected up and occasionaly run pictures from my mini disk recorder.   

Offline polytope4d

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30/11/2012 16:20:26 »
I have a 10+ year old ECS motherboard, P4 1.7GHz processor, the Samsung 40 GBhard drive and the case (all are 10+ yrs old)). The CD-RW drive (7+ yrs old), PSU (1 yr, 3rd replacement) and CRT 15"Monitor (6+ yrs) and DDR2  400 RAM (5+ yrs)were all upgraded. Yes, the computer still works on Win XP, there is Office 2003, Foxit reader and Irfanview and an old ver. of Avast AV, and nothing much. To boot it, sometimes you've got to clean the RAM, put it back and it works fine. Replaced the CMOS batt a few yrs ago. :D
« Last Edit: 30/11/2012 16:31:51 by polytope4d »

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01/12/2012 03:20:01 »
I have a bunch of old Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptops 300 - 400 mhz Pentium 2 which I use with Audiograbber hooked up to a tuner to take radio programs and mp3 them to burn on cd for later listening. Been doing it for years. They never die. Probably because they don't use the new politically correct solder instead of lead.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01/12/2012 22:20:10 »
Actually, I just purchased a new Gateway because my 10 year old XP recently bit the dust. All good things must come to an end,............ RIP old XP.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02/12/2012 10:25:17 »
Sad to say that I just tried to power up my Commodore Pet and it no longer works.

It's possible that the roms have lost their memory but it's more likely that, if I were to replace a few capacitors, I'd still have a working computer from about 1980 (judging by the date stamps on the chips).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02/12/2012 10:28:59 »
I got one of these in the loft

Amstrad PPC640 (UK 1988)

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21/12/2012 19:06:05 »
Elite was the best game ever once you managed to dock for the first time that is!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #39 on: 21/12/2012 19:06:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums