The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I V F at 63 right or wrong  (Read 9984 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: I V F at 63 right or wrong
« Reply #25 on: 08/05/2006 17:31:54 »
Thank You George,

I did say that phrase was out of context.:) (re:...having loved tehn lost etc)

I lost my father when I was seven, my mother then jumped into the deep end of the family business and because she did so well, has hepled my siblings and I a great deal.

I personally do not feel as if I have ever missed out. Though , I obviously have still received the benefit of having one parent.

Where I said I would choose life with no parents over no life at all...I was making the point that If I had been a child born to very elderly parents then at least, I would have been in a position to ask that question.

I am so sorry to hear about your friends loss, and then to hear of the trauma of your other friends nervous breakdown.It's all very sad

The question I was originally refering to was in fact this one "If the case can be demonstrated to you to your complete satisfaction that the child will enjoy a wonderful life and continue to enjoy it after the parents are no longer around, then would you still say no?"

Thank you for adressing the other post though. My thoughts are with your friends....

....as you say...it IS such a complicated issue that I can only see that each case must be dealt with on an individual basis and we of course do not know the entire background of this womans case.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

another_someone

« Reply #26 on: 08/05/2006 20:30:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep
....as you say...it IS such a complicated issue that I can only see that each case must be dealt with on an individual basis and we of course do not know the entire background of this womans case.

I think I meant even more than that.  It is not just that each case should be judged on its own merits, but that to a very substantial extent, you cannot possibly even hope to judge the outcome of a persons life.  Even as they live their lives, can you really say what is a good or a bad life.

As I said, my father left when I was 4 years old, but the other side of that is that I now have two half siblings, with whom I have a very good relationship with, that simply would not have been born if my father had stayed married to my mother.

You have said that your fathers death also gave you opportunities as it gave your mother the opportunity (however it was not her wish) to develop her skills.  That too was the case with my mother, and I doubt that she would ever have got into computing had she still been married.

I spoke of my friend who has had a nervous breakdown.  I am sure that she presently feels that life is scarcely worth living,  but I have known that friend for many years, and have known her when life was good to her, as I am sure it will be again so can we say that she should have had a different life?  Her different life may not have brought the trauma she presently has, but neither would it have brought her the good times.

The children born unto this 63 year old woman will be different from you or I, but then, they never were going to be the same, because we are all different.  No matter what, can we honestly say that a child will have a good or a bad life just because of the age of its parents?

George
« Last Edit: 08/05/2006 20:33:24 by another_someone »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #27 on: 09/05/2006 01:13:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky
But in the cases where the farther is old like say rod stewart their is a mother who is not.A child needs at least one full time parent who is not old and drawing their pension.

So, in your opinion, it is perfectly legitimate for a 63 year old woman to have a baby, so long as her husband was under 50 years of age?

George

No because mothers are different and more important to a child than a father and  i'm not saying we fathers are not needed or are unimportant,

Michael
« Last Edit: 09/05/2006 01:19:40 by ukmicky »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09/05/2006 01:33:14 »
Michael, in what way are mothers more important to their children than the fathers ?

Yes, mothers carry them, give birth to them..

..Say...the mother in this case, is the one with the career and it is the husband who stays at home as a domestic engineer !...would not he, the father, play the exact same role as if it was the mother ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

another_someone

« Reply #29 on: 09/05/2006 01:39:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky
No because mothers are different and more important to a child than a father and  i'm not saying we fathers are not needed or are unimportant,

If we are being stereotypical, is it not the case that most of the kind of physical activity which you regard as a necessity for a parent/child relationship is actually carried out by the father, with the mother being more responsible for the more emotional support side of the relationship.

Ofcourse, these are stereotypes.  There are some women who are extremely tom-boyish, and some fathers who are very touchy-feely.  There are also some father who quite successfully bring up children with the total absence of a mother.  But, if we constrain ourselves to the traditional gender roles, then one has to ask whether the ability for a woman to be sporty is a prime requirement for a mother?

George

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09/05/2006 04:41:00 »
i really did just mean parent and not particulary mother. i dont think a father should be many generations apart from his child either. my reasons were sexless... although the mother is obviously more in question because she ultimately chooses to birth the child.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 09/05/2006 04:41:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length