The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to detect a transit of Earth across the Sun from Mars  (Read 2124 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Is it possible to detect a transit of Earth across the Sun from Mars?
Asked by Geoff, Shenfield

Visit the webpage for the podcast in which this question is answered.

« Last Edit: 25/10/2011 20:36:56 by chris »

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
We answered this question on the show...

Dominic -   It is incredibly rare for that to happen because the Earth is so much further out in the solar system than Venus.  So itís a very small target that you're trying to get across the surface of the sun.  I think a transit of Mercury across the surface of the sun has been seen by one of the Mars Rovers.  I'm not completely sure on that, but yes, Mercury does transit the sun quite often, but Venus and Earth, much more rare.
Chris -   Scientists did see the first Martian shooting star in recent years because one of the pictures taken by one of the rovers on the surface of Mars showed a lovely shooting star in one of the frames, which was reported in one of the science journals. 
« Last Edit: 25/10/2011 20:38:00 by chris »

Offline acsinuk

• View Profile
    • electricmagnofluxuniverse.blogspot.com
Yes,  Very occasionally as we are 1.5 hundred million km from sun and mars is 2.28 so it will just depend on the elliptical orbits.  We are in conjunction with mars about once every 2 years according to my science data book.  So move to mars now and check it out!
CliveS

Offline Phractality

• View Profile
Wikipedia has an article on this very subject.
Transit of Earth from Mars

It will happen in 2084. Hope your live that long.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length