The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the most interesting material you can think of?  (Read 11850 times)

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most interesting material you can think of?
« Reply #25 on: 29/02/2012 00:33:45 »
DNA!

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #26 on: 29/02/2012 11:37:45 »
Antihydrogen as a gateway to the next generation of rocket propellant and perhaps the fuel that allows us to conquer at least our own solar system

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #27 on: 29/02/2012 11:47:27 »
Chocolate bunnies.

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #28 on: 29/02/2012 16:35:43 »
Antihydrogen as a gateway to the next generation of rocket propellant and perhaps the fuel that allows us to conquer at least our own solar system

How about the Bussard Ramscoop? When's that arriving?

I'm just waiting for the antihydrogen economy to kick in!  .....
It probably will arrive sooner than the hydrogen economy anyway ::)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29/02/2012 23:37:31 »

It probably will arrive sooner than the hydrogen economy anyway

We already have a hydrogen economy. All we need to do now is get rid of the carbon bit.

Offline damocles

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01/03/2012 11:30:53 »

It probably will arrive sooner than the hydrogen economy anyway

We already have a hydrogen economy. All we need to do now is get rid of the carbon bit.

... and the oil companies are waiting there, knowing that they can produce the carbon-free hydrogen cheaper and in larger quantity than anyone else! Of course there is a small side-effect of 6 gram of CO2 per gram of hydrogen produced, but hey -- at least 10 gram of CO2 is produced in an electrolysis process. This even applies to nuclear generation of electricity if you calculate the CO2 emissions on a dawn-to-dust basis

Offline damocles

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01/03/2012 12:31:21 »
In 1994 I attended a day-long symposium at University College London to celebrate the centenary of the discovery of argon in those laboratories by William Ramsay. One of the speakers there was talking about noble gas chemistry. He showed some beautiful slides of noble gas compounds, including one of beautiful white/transparent crystals inside a sealed flask that was sitting on the ground.

These crystals were, he claimed, one of the oxides of xenon. Apparently you seal a mixture of xenon and oxygen into a quartz flask (it must be ultraviolet transparent) and put it in the middle of a cricket field on a (British standard) very sunny day. You wait an hour or two, examine and photograph the crystals that form, and then step a long way back and throw stones at the flask until you break it with a mighty explosion. Apparently this is the safest means of disposal of the product (I do not remember anything about a procedure for collecting shattered quartz afterwards). This was, of course, 18 years ago, and I may not remember some of the details. But I think I have the story pretty right.

I am fascinated by the noble gas compounds -- particularly by the fact that some of them are very easy to make (given some rather unpleasant starting materials), but they were completely overlooked for nearly a century because every professor and schoolmaster and textbook said that the noble gases simply did not form compounds.

They have a fairly modest claim, but they get my vote as "the most interesting materials".
« Last Edit: 01/03/2012 12:33:22 by damocles »

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #32 on: 01/03/2012 14:16:53 »
... and the oil companies are waiting there, knowing that they can produce the carbon-free hydrogen cheaper and in larger quantity than anyone else! Of course there is a small side-effect of 6 gram of CO2 per gram of hydrogen produced, but hey -- at least 10 gram of CO2 is produced in an electrolysis process. This even applies to nuclear generation of electricity if you calculate the CO2 emissions on a dawn-to-dust basis
Do you mean to say that I might have been the tiniest bit naive to think the petro giants were simply doing their best to save the planet?  And there was me thinking how pleasantly altruistic it was for them to devise the perfect stepping-stone technology!

Sorry OP. Very off-topic now :-X
uhum,

Most interesting material would have to be:
Soylent Green
[xx(]

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01/03/2012 16:28:13 »
teflon?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01/03/2012 21:06:59 »
teflon?

I have a teflon suit if anyone is looking for one. No use for it since I retired.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02/03/2012 00:26:24 »
teflon?
I have a teflon suit if anyone is looking for one. No use for it since I retired.
Now, what do you use that for?  I could imagine using teflon coveralls around the shop.  Perhaps I would have a chance of keeping them clean!!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02/03/2012 02:50:22 »

Now, what do you use that for?

My job title was "Senior Vice President of Engineering". Our customers were little outfits like IBM, HP, EMC, Hitachi, Bull, etc etc.

I might as well have had a dartboard tattooed on my forehead.

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02/03/2012 13:40:59 »
SAW TV WHERE POST TEFLON INVENTATION a scientist tried stretching it by slow stretch & it kept ripping. Frustrated, scientist yanked it with fast pull & it stretched! Whats that about?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #37 on: 02/03/2012 13:40:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length