The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: is it possible to delete archived email  (Read 2628 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
is it possible to delete archived email
« on: 30/10/2011 19:54:31 »
I have recently loaded Microsoft outlook 2010 and up pops Google mail with a list of 2000 emails going back 18 months.
I am neither a paedophile nor a terrorist but I am sure that the thought police dredging thru my old email could find some pretext to imprison me if they so wanted.
I have tried all the means within the program to delete them but nothing works, any ideas ?.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30/10/2011 22:10:49 »
I know it's difficult to believe, but I'm confused.

Are you using Gmail as a POP3 server for Outlook, or are you looking at mails in the web version of Gmail?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/10/2011 02:48:43 »
It sounds like it's configured as IMAP (gmail's default) through Outlook, though POP3 is a possibility.  If either of those is true (and they would be if you're getting your gmail emails through Outlook), open up the gmail website, login and click on the icon in the upper right that looks like a gear.  Then click on "mail settings" from the menu that pops up, and click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP from the screen that appears. 

You'll now have the option of having it delete emails from the gmail server in response to what you do in outlook, but you need to know if you're using POP or IMAP.  By default, I think IMAP is enabled and POP is disabled, so you're probably using IMAP.  The two are slightly different.

In POP, the gmail server will forward email to your PC when you run outlook, but doesn't know if you delete them from outlook.  Your option under POP is to delete emails automatically whenever it forwards them.  This means whenever a new email from gmail appears in outlook, it's already been deleted from the gmail server.  This is particularly annoying if you have multiple devices all trying to access email, in which case, only one of them will get the email before it's deleted. 

IMAP is a bit nicer, since it leaves the emails on the gmail server by default, and each device can retrieve them.  Once the email has been deleted from all devices, you can set it up to delete it from the gmail server as well.  This should allow you more control over what gets deleted and when. 

At any rate, all of these options are under the gmail settings menu, so you can choose which best suits you from there.

You can also go to the gmail.com website and manually delete emails if you want. 

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/10/2011 08:01:59 »
That's pretty much what I was about to say :D

Is it just me, or does anyone else find G-mail completely bewildering? Talk about a user-hostile interface. Every time I go anywhere near the thing it makes my brain bleed.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31/10/2011 09:05:33 »
It isn't that bad.

I tend to leave my old mail on the server, so if I reformat my computer, I can get my mail archives back.

If you delete your mail from Google, it should be gone.  But, it doesn't guarantee that it hasn't been recorded on a backup tape somewhere.

I don't worry too much about incoming E-Mail.  You can't always control what you're getting spammed with.

What about web searches?  Sometimes I'm curious about things like the difference between a plastic toothbrush and a plastic explosive. 

Undoubtedly if Google can associate an e-mail with you, they can associate web searches with both your e-mail and your IP address.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31/10/2011 10:35:39 »
I was rather contemptuous off Vincent Tabak who called himself an engineer but left incriminating evidence on his computers that probably cost him an extra five years in jail I realise now I have tried to delete emails how near impossible it can be.
I have been trying to set up Microsoft outlook in Windows 7 64 bit and found lots of problems but had no trouble in 32 bit .
I have lost access to my archived emails now but I am sure the authorities could soon find them (although there is nothing there dangerous)   

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/11/2011 06:38:05 »
I have worked out where the unwanted storage of my emails is taking place it is Google that stores the mails from a pop3 ISP that I was allocated by VIRGIN it does not seem to store the emails from my Hotmail account.
It seems possible to delete them but it is a very slow process

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 03/11/2011 06:38:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums