The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do spiders like boats?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Why do spiders like boats?
« on: 01/11/2011 00:20:09 »
It's Halloween!

I thought I better get the S.S.Geezer out of the lake today before it gets iced-in. As usual, it was festooned in cobwebs. Why is that? Why do spiders like to hang out on boats so much?

(I just felt something crawling on the back of my neck. One of the little buggers must have got in my hair while I was driving to the boat launch. AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!) 

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/2011 03:51:33 »
It's Halloween!

I thought I better get the S.S.Geezer out of the lake today before it gets iced-in. As usual, it was festooned in cobwebs. Why is that? Why do spiders like to hang out on boats so much?

(I just felt something crawling on the back of my neck. One of the little buggers must have got in my hair while I was driving to the boat launch. AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!) 

It's not that they like boats.  They like Geezers.  They were just lying in wait.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2011 11:07:46 »
T'was back in 1782 when McGeezer McMuffinMcDonaldHotApplePie was placing an order for a Big Mac at his local harbour boating " Wade-Through "   when  perchance a passing flying  Emu startled him causing him to drop his order upon his Captains deck.  Fortunately a Japanese tourist , upon a passing submarine , just so happened to have the periscope up and, coincidentally, had his Nikon leant against the viewer where he just managed to snap this one and only photo of the Captains McMess !

The ACTUAL Photo !!

As ewe can see....the likeness between the mess and a rather becoming wench spider is nigh on miraculous. Incredibly, three hundred miles away  a small group of astronomy fanatical spiders just so happened to be out that night and whilst preparing their Newtonian managed to catch a glimpse of said BigMcArachnid Wench through their spyglass , and they were at once infatuated ! To make a short story just ever so longer...through fire and rain, earthquake and hurricane, asteroid impact and planetary collision the group made the trek aboard the S S Geezer where they have been searching ever since. No one has the heart to tell them that their wenchy love was greedily consumed by the hungry captain. And this is why when ever ewe visit your boat ewe will always find spiders from the local astronomy group holding vigil for their long lost spidey bitch !..They all think she is still pampering her nose !

This is true.

Glad I could help !

« Last Edit: 01/11/2011 11:18:18 by neilep »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2011 14:49:30 »
Methinks it might be on account of the abundance of flying insects guaranteed around lakes, ponds, streams and the like.

Best part about is, its free grub, you don't have to fork out your hard earned dosh to some spotty clock teenager.

Or maybe they just like messin' around in boats.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 01/11/2011 14:52:40 »

This vaguely resembles something I ate the other day. Please tell me I haven't been eating spiders.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/11/2011 14:54:53 »

This vaguely resembles something I ate the other day. Please tell me I haven't been eating spiders.

Ewe have been eating spiders !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 01/11/2011 14:54:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length