The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is going to happen on 21st December 2012?  (Read 52824 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What is going to happen on 21st December 2012?
« Reply #50 on: 17/12/2012 22:27:34 »
it was the aztecs not the mayans that predicted a cataclysmic end to the world age ending on the solstice. they said the world would be destroyed by earthquakes. lot's of fracking triggering earthquakes lately. Now the tibetan oracle of Sham-bala says that indeed we will have a mini apocalypse which is linked to earthquakes. he says the world won't end but we will lose 10% of the world population and people in cities will lose their minds. he says don't look out your windows cuz ghosts will appear to be everywhere and that we will have no electric power for two months.

The doomsday predictions can be quite extraordinary. 
Although, if you look at the storms in NY and New Orleans, as well as past earthquakes in Japan and California, it is clear that our infrastructure is quite vulnerable to insults, and it can take weeks or months to even make a partial recovery in a hard-hit area. 

It would take a huge cataclysm to wipe out 10% of the global population. 
  • Disease
  • War
  • Yellowstone Eruption
  • Global lost growing season, likely due to atmospheric particles
  • very large body strike
Perhaps a combination of the above.

Even a synchronized earthquake along a fault line, say from San Diego, LA, San Francisco, and extending up into Oregon, and Washington, Canada, and Alaska.  It would still likely leave the overall global population loss far less than 1%. 

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 21/12/2012 00:48:59 »
Does anyone know what time the apocalypse is scheduled? I've got some christmas shopping to do and would hate to miss the shops before they explode in a fiery inferno.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #52 on: 21/12/2012 16:30:55 »
Well, I'm still here.......

No ghosts, no power cuts, no rending of the Earth's crust, no comet........

BUT WAIT, That's it..........

Yes, those Mayans were right all along...... just a couple of days out...... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20765983

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 22/12/2012 04:52:33 »
Well..  a few hours left of the 21st.  And, so far no comet.  But, of course, with all these clouds, I'd never see it coming.

Perhaps the Mayans were predicting the coming of the fiscal cliff

Consider a long period comet such as Haley's comet.  Perhaps with close astronomical calculations, they could have discovered its period as Haley did.  But, even so, Earth is a very small target, astronomically speaking, to be shooting at. 

Even with far better telescopes than the Mayans had, it is hard to predict Haley's position 75 years into the future to within about 10 minutes, and 12,000 km which would be necessary to predict a collision course with Earth.

What about a longer period comet?  300 years?  500 years?

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 22/12/2012 14:29:55 »
Well, it looks like the world hasn't come to an end so I'd better go and celebrate Christmas/ the Solstice/ Saturnalia/ any excuse to stop work for a while.

Hope you all have a fun time in the coming orbital period of your choice.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #55 on: 22/12/2012 14:33:00 »
Damn! And still I'm still here!

I bought a Lamborghini yesterday and thrashed it into the ground thinking 'what the hell, I'll never have to pay for it'. Boy am I gonna be in the s**t when the credt card bill comes in.

Bloody damn fool Mayans.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #55 on: 22/12/2012 14:33:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length