The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Harvesting energy from space  (Read 4993 times)

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
Harvesting energy from space
« on: 08/05/2006 02:29:17 »
I have been reading lately about all the wild cosmic rays and solar radiation and other such things that would keep us from being in space for long amounts of time.
I wonder would it be possible to harvest these things to say produce energy on a long space journey (which would also act as a way of protecting astronauts from the radiation)?

Offline DocN

• View Profile
Re: Harvesting energy from space
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2006 16:25:08 »
You might want to read and consider--"Dyson's Sphere".  see--

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/D/Dysonsp.html

Doc

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2006 19:13:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by DocN
You might want to read and consider--"Dyson's Sphere".  see--
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/D/Dysonsp.html

Very interesting, although it still refers to energy collected within the solar system, rather than energy collected in interstellar space.

George

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2006 02:31:56 »
thats not quite what i was thinking.
I recently read an article about how space travel for long periods of time might be impossible due to all sorts of radiation out there, including something nasty called comsic rays (atoms that are travelling at near light speed and really mess with you if they go through your head)
Now they really dont know how to sheild for these, because when they hit something they just knock out more atoms traveling at slightly reduced, though still signifigant, speed son the other side.
I was proposing whther it would be possible to sheild a space craft with something that actually captured some of those cosmic rays and took the effect they had to create usable energy, perhaps to power the space ship, or provide further sheilding (an electro magnetic field also helps stop them.)

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2006 02:58:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by realmswalker
I recently read an article about how space travel for long periods of time might be impossible due to all sorts of radiation out there, including something nasty called comsic rays (atoms that are travelling at near light speed and really mess with you if they go through your head)
Now they really dont know how to sheild for these, because when they hit something they just knock out more atoms traveling at slightly reduced, though still signifigant, speed son the other side.
I was proposing whther it would be possible to sheild a space craft with something that actually captured some of those cosmic rays and took the effect they had to create usable energy, perhaps to power the space ship, or provide further sheilding (an electro magnetic field also helps stop them.)

But the fact that this radiation is highly penetrating need not mean that there is enough of it to create  a substantive energy source.

Do you have any idea of how much of this radiation is actually out there (does anyone have any idea since most of it is shielded from view, even within the solar system, by the Sun's magnetic field and the solar wind)?

Maybe successors to Pioneer 11 will tell us more.

George

Offline realmswalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2006 08:32:50 »
just wanted to revive this, because it was abandoned, the questions never answered...and im still curious!

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/08/2006 10:09:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by realmswalker

If you could easily find something that captured those cosmic rays, then they were not as penetrating as they are. To make a metaphor, imagine that the spaceship and everything else inside of it is made of hot butter and a cosmic ray is a powerful rifle-shot proiectile. How can you capture it? It's a really serious problem.

Offline B_Sharp

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/08/2006 03:29:23 »
Space energy is too disperse to be profitable.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 16/08/2006 03:29:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums