The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If time travel to the past is possible ?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline kevinj

• First timers
    • View Profile
If time travel to the past is possible ?
« on: 07/11/2011 05:07:45 »
Does it allow for an exact replica of something?

I asked this somewhere else and my answer was that it can't be radioactive in nature. This is because the radio activity would decay. It also can't be organic because organic structures like animals or plants change and that it has to be the exact same. So that leaves you with a stable object and even than that object would have to be shielded from the outside source. Is this correct?

Also if time travel to the past is possible is it correct to say that 2 humans organism are not 1 organism and that your time to experience life is limited?

Also does any of this change if you take multiple dimensions into considerations like string theory etc?

Thanks

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07/11/2011 06:23:51 »
A unscientific answer may be to consider SpaceTime a 'living' creature. It has a 'lifetime', and it evolves in a temporal fashion, having a direction. As I see it any time reversibility is more of a theoretical assumption, than anything 'allowed' macroscopically.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/11/2011 13:33:21 »
We get a taste of what time travel would be like when we watch old films, when I see films from the thirties I am fascinated to to see again all the technologies I knew as a boy.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #3 on: 07/11/2011 15:35:09 »
Kevinj your question is not answerable fully because your main post is unintelligible. 

Simple time travel in the contexts of science fiction stories is not possible because it would be against the fundamental physical laws that allow our universe to be stable.   There are conditions in our universe and in experimental science where space and time may be distorted but that is not the same thing as a living person going back through history and talking to another living person in the past.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 07/11/2011 15:35:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums