The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How fast did Superman fly when he zipped around the Earth?  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Indie9999

• First timers
    • View Profile
In Superman 1 when he get's upset that Louis is dead and he zips around the world and makes it rotate the other direction, judging by the distance he travels and the rate of turning of the Earth to judge the time, how fast is Superman flying?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
How fast did Superman fly when he zipped around the Earth?
« Reply #1 on: 09/11/2011 08:49:52 »
If I remember the story rightly the turning of the earth is only symbolic, he is in fact turning back time for the whole earth so he can save her life and effectively change our future.

So as I do not know any procedures for turning back time for a whole planet I could not hazard a guess.   ;D

Offline Indie9999

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09/11/2011 20:13:27 »
Well, I was thinking that it's possible to judge how fast he is going from the time it takes for him to fly a certain distance, which can be seen in the actual scene, and since the Earth is turning in that scene the amount of time that passes can also be deduced.  Put them together and you can find out how fast he is flying.

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2011 05:57:47 »
Let us know the exact altitude at which S-man was flying and maybe someone (not me) can calculate it for you.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2011 20:34:13 »
Could superman zip around the world a few times for me and slow it down.
I want to observe the "Transit of Venus" next year but there are trees in the way.

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #5 on: 15/11/2011 06:08:52 »
Your solution ;)

Not a good one though :/

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/11/2011 13:47:18 »
I have a chainsaw but the trees are in my neighbours garden and he is a large tough ex convict, I would prefer the superman solution.

Offline krool1969

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/11/2011 05:48:43 »
Could superman zip around the world a few times for me and slow it down.
I want to observe the "Transit of Venus" next year but there are trees in the way.
You don't need Superman. Just go to a diffrent location on Earth. You'll be able to see the Transit of Venus from any dayside location on Earth, so long as you have a clear view of the Sun.

Offline krool1969

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17/11/2011 06:01:02 »
Superman is fictional and thus never really flew around the Earth. However if he were real and flew faster than the speed of light Superman himself could possibly go back in time. From his perspective the Earth would rotate backwards.

The real rotation of Earth has nothing at all to do with the flow of time. If you could somehow cause the Earth to change it's rotation you would cause huge amount of damage. From winds up to 1000 miles per hour to gigantic tidal waves. Buildings and trees would be snapped off and thrown about and people and animals would be thrown around. Remember that the air, oceans and everything on Earth shares it's motion with the planet. Suddenly changing that motion would have the same effect you feel in a car when it starts up, stops or turns a corner, but at hundreds of miles an hour.
« Last Edit: 17/11/2011 06:03:34 by krool1969 »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17/11/2011 06:36:06 »
The problem with viewing the transit of Venus is that I want the Sun shining into a suitable room that I can black out and use as a Camera obscura pojecting the view of the sun onto a screen for filming.
When I lived at Hemel Hempstead was able to do this a few years back but had no movie camera to record it.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17/11/2011 10:17:51 »
The problem with viewing the transit of Venus is that I want the Sun shining into a suitable room that I can black out and use as a Camera obscura pojecting the view of the sun onto a screen for filming.
When I lived at Hemel Hempstead was able to do this a few years back but had no movie camera to record it.

Brilliant pictures.

So we get about 40 mins in london to catch it.  I don't think any of the eastish facing rooms in my house have enough of a view of the low sky to capture it.
« Last Edit: 17/11/2011 10:27:03 by imatfaal »

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22/11/2011 18:03:04 »
In Superman 1 when he get's upset that Lois is dead and he zips around the world and makes it rotate the other direction, judging by the distance he travels and the rate of turning of the Earth to judge the time, how fast is Superman flying?

The whole idea in the comics was that by flying faster than light, Superman could travel through time. This was ignored when he flew at FTL speeds to reach planets around other stars.

Originally Superman jumped huge distances but in a story where he had to stay off of the Earth for I think 24 hours, he swam through the air. Flying really took off in the serials rather than having him jump about like a super grass hopper. Wayne Boring's (artist) early Superman often showed him in a swimming pose when flying.

As Superman flies back through time in Superman 1, he sees things going backwards, so can judge time by how much the Earth rotates backwards.

Offline krool1969

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26/11/2011 00:23:32 »
When I was very young my parents got a new refrigerator. I got the box to play with. I set it up in the front yard and crawled inside. It was very dark inside, but there was a pin hole in the box. I was surprised to find an image of our house up-side-down on the inside of the box. Can I suggest using something like that?

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26/11/2011 07:58:31 »
You have invented the Camera obscura but don't try to patent it as they have been in use for at least 500 years.
That would be quite a good idea if I could get a large enough box and take it out to the countryside away from the trees or maybe a shipping container or even a tent such as Cook used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1769_Transit_of_Venus_observed_from_Tahiti
« Last Edit: 26/11/2011 08:05:52 by syhprum »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 26/11/2011 07:58:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums