The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Geology in University  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Vadermort

• View Profile
Geology in University
« on: 10/05/2006 12:36:28 »
In 2007, I am compelled to take a BaS in Geology at University. Is Australia a good place? Besides for all you knowledgable geologists out there, what subjects in High school should i do well on? What do they teach in the course?
Cheers.

b.s

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Geology in University
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2006 22:38:36 »
Vadermort,

What type of geology do you want to pursue? Or have you made up your mind yet? Mathematics through Differential Equations is a mdarned good bet for any specialty.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline Vadermort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/05/2006 12:05:53 »
I have no clue...what areas of Geology are there? I have an interest in Geography and rocks. Im not much good at math though.

b.s

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/05/2006 17:15:37 »
Vadermort:
There are several specialties in geology, here are a few:
Paleontology (study of ancient life forms)- for this you will need a good background in biology
Stratigraphy/Sedimentology (study of sedimetary rocks)- physics, biology and math would be useful
Volcanology (study of volcanoes) chemistry, physics and math are important
Geochemistry- obviously, a need for chemistry, applied math
Glaciology (study of glaciers)- love of cold places, physics, chemistry, math
Environmental Geology (how geology and geologic changes interact with the environment)- chemistry, physics, biology, math
Igneous/Metamorphic Petrology (study of igneous and metamorphic rocks) chemistry, physics and math
Engineering Geology (study of the physical charcteristics of rocks, primarily for stability purposes- building structures, mining, etc) lots of math and physics.
Economic geology (study of mineral deposits) chemistry, physics, math
Hydrology (study of water) physics, math and chemistry

There are several more specialties (space geology, oceanography,structural geology...)- but you probably get the sense that math and sciences are very important to take in high school.  Of course, I would also suggest you take a geology/earth science course if your high school offers it.

Geography is also a growing field- once again a strong background in math with some science will help.

May I suggest you try working during the summer (assuming you have no classes) for a company in the geological field.  General help is always needed- look for companies in geophysics, geological engineering, geochemistry, or with government agencies.  Another possibility is attending summer camps or field trips- these are put on all over the world by professional organizations, universities and national parks.  Certainly try to meet people in your community who work in the field- maybe they can act as a mentor and help you define your interests.

Good luck!

Subduction causes orogeny.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2006 17:35:20 »
There are many specialties. Sedimentologist - with carbonate and clastic sub-specialties, - igneous petrologist, metamorphic petrologist, paleontology - vertabrate or invertibrate with all the sub-catigories of invertibrate (I know a person who specailizes in conodonts). Then there is hydrology, xeno-geology, engineering geology, mining geology, oil & gas geology, enviornmental geology ......

It keeps going on and on. I would suggest you go to several university web sites I have listed below, and check on their course offering to get an idea of all of the possibilities. There is a list below to start with.

University of Texas, Austin - (my school, one of the best)
University of Oklahoma
Texas A&M Univ.
Colorado School of Mines - has much more than mining geology
California Tech
Oxford & Cambridge

I don't know about Australia. Just go to the Geoscience Australia at http://www.ga.gov.au/ and write some of the geologist. One should answer. I had a professor who did a Rhodes post-doc in Brisbane but can't remember what school.

Investigate, investigate, investigate You will find something that fits your interest.

Offline Vadermort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/05/2006 02:25:54 »
That was really helpfull. Im finishing my first year of the International Baccalaureatte Diploma. Paleontology sounds really interesting(always had a fascination with fossils) Im taking Higher Level Biology and make an average of about 80% on the practice tests. is that good enought? Should i also do well in Geography because i think that knowing certain fossils that are common in certain sedimentary and metamorphic rock will be usefull? I currently make an average of 93% on tests. Looks like I will have to work harder in math.(average of 62%):(
However. This school which I study at does not offer Physics...what do I do? Can i still be accepted?
PS: That was a great website thanks.

b.s

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/05/2006 19:45:59 »
If you can make a passing average in math you can do most paleontology. You will need some skill at mathematic modeling, statistics, etc and probably a few differential equasions but most of the time you will be looking for rocks, preparing samples and writing papers.

Best wishes

Offline Vadermort

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/05/2006 13:24:49 »
Thats good stuff. Looking forward to it. The problem is, most universities in the states accept SAT scores and not IB Diploma.

b.s

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 13/05/2006 13:24:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums