The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Do I Sometimes Miss A Word From A Written Sentence ?  (Read 47102 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Sentanceologists,

Occasionally when typing a sentence I miss out a word altogether. I'm saying the sentence in my mind as I write it and then find one of the words is missing when written !...why's that then ?....Why Do I Sometimes Miss A Word From A Written Sentence ? Is it because I have spoken the word in my head that makes me think I have written it ?...what's the science behind that ?

Does this happen to ewe too ?

whajafink ?

Neil

ps: Could extreme fatigue be the answer !....I'm knackered !!

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Why Do I Sometimes Miss A Word From A Written Sentence ?
« Reply #1 on: 14/11/2011 08:05:50 »
Happens to me all the time.
And... re-reading doesn't always help because one knows what to expect!!!!

Or... it can be bad if a preposition such as "the" occurs at the
the end of the line.

Sometimes when reading, I'll either miss a word such as "not"... or add it where it doesn't in fact exist.

Perhaps it is a sign of mild dyslexia.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2011 18:03:13 »
Happens to me all the time.
And... re-reading doesn't always help because one knows what to expect!!!!

Or... it can be bad if a preposition such as "the" occurs at the
the end of the line.

Sometimes when reading, I'll either miss a word such as "not"... or add it where it doesn't in fact exist.

Perhaps it is a sign of mild dyslexia.

Thank ewe very much Clifford...I'm consoled that it's not just me and welcome your kind comment. I have too wondered if it's a very mild form of dyslexia. Thanks again for the comforting reply . :)

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #3 on: 15/11/2011 06:18:39 »
Simple answer: Your brain is much faster than your hands.

Your tongue is also faster than your hands, that's why you'll never have this happen when you speak, only when you write.

Try to do this experiment: Notice what word is in your head while typing a sentence. You'll notice that the word in your head is often a couple of words further along the sentence than the one you are typing at that moment :)

So it's easy for your hands to skip a word sometimes. This isn't dyslexia in my opinion..

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 20/11/2011 11:53:58 »
You are alone in that sheepie. (Note I deliberately left out the word 'not' in that sentence). It can totally alter what you have written.

I think Nizzle has hit the nail on the, though in my case the difference speed between my brain and fingers is minimal. . As clifford pointed, it is often pointless to try to proof read your own scribing because you may not actually read it, since you know what to expect. That's why authors of mail order, advertising and other such blurb use proof readers. Mistakes and omitted words in such circumstances can prove very costly.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm off to make a cup of, because I'm parched.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/11/2011 07:26:51 »
Wot I want to know is how come there are no in in the Post Reply panel, but whenI look at my post in the thread there always a bunch of

Offline Mr. Al

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do I Sometimes Miss A Word From A Written Sentence ?
« Reply #6 on: 23/12/2014 19:42:32 »
Dearest Sentanceologists,

Occasionally when typing a sentence I miss out a word altogether. I'm saying the sentence in my mind as I write it and then find one of the words is missing when written !...why's that then ?....Why Do I Sometimes Miss A Word From A Written Sentence ? Is it because I have spoken the word in my head that makes me think I have written it ?...what's the science behind that ?

Does this happen to ewe too ?

whajafink ?

Neil

ps: Could extreme fatigue be the answer !....I'm knackered !!

I've the same problem, many times when I'm doing my homework, chatting, or anytime I need to check twice my written to avoid a miss word, and I write in Spanish, then it isn't associated to the language. Another problem, but not sure if is still associated, its problem to read anything. I can read without problem, fast and fluenty, but I tire too fast and begin to procastinate all the time. I think have this problem all my life, but now I'm 33 years old, and study my master degree, and its become a really big issue to me began to read all that books and papers, and 10 minutes later end up checking my facebook, its really frustrating. What you think about it? There is some good practice that you can recommend to me? Thanks in advanced.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23/12/2014 21:05:21 »
It works both ways it is all too easy to duplicate a word when writing, luckily "spell checker" picks it up.
I think it is a temporary lapse of memory you forget that you have already added the word.

Offline Ophiolite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/12/2014 01:08:57 »
Surely this is because different parts of the brain are engaged in different aspects of the activity. You decide what you want to write, type, or say, then pass it on to the appropriate brain section to take care of it automatically. However, since it no longer has conscious oversight errors can creep in.

Contrary to nizzle, I do not think this only effects the written/typed word. When teaching familiar topics I have, on occasion, started thinking about something else, just running on autopilot only to encounter questioning students. Invariably I have stated the opposite, or the negative of what I should have said.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 24/12/2014 01:08:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums