The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Infinity  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Element13

• First timers
    • View Profile
Infinity
« on: 15/11/2011 08:49:25 »
Hello, my name is Edward Morton. I have a basic theory, and welcome all criticism. This is about infinity. Some believe, that infinity can and will go on forever. While others believe that it is impossible, and the biggest number plus one would result in zero. My theory is this. If you take the largest number that can be achieved, theoretically and add one more to it. The outcome would be one. Granted this theory as of now will be illustrated with finite numbers. If you take a number of sub atomic particles, and combine them you achieve any number of atoms. Taking any number of atoms and combing them we achieve elements. Adding together grains of sand becomes a beach, which in turn becomes a planet, solar system, galaxy, universe...E.T.C When reaching this point you can achieve an infinite amount but it morphs into something bigger and becomes a single object. If you had infinite amounts of sand next to an infinite ocean, it would still only be one beach.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and i look forward to your input.
                                                                            Edward Morton IV   

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
Infinity
« Reply #1 on: 15/11/2011 08:54:57 »
Hmm, I totally disagree.

Let's keep your beach analogy from your last sentence.
If you consider that to be one beach, and somewhere on the beach you put one fence that runs from inland over the beach into the ocean you 'could' say you have two beaches, but 1 (beach) divided by 1 (fence) is certainly not 2 (beaches)

You're comparing apples and oranges, which you shouldn't :)

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
Infinity
« Reply #2 on: 15/11/2011 14:08:32 »
has pi been resolved yet?

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Infinity
« Reply #3 on: 15/11/2011 18:29:13 »
Hello, my name is Edward Morton. I have a basic theory, and welcome all criticism. This is about infinity. Some believe, that infinity can and will go on forever. While others believe that it is impossible, and the biggest number plus one would result in zero. My theory is this. If you take the largest number that can be achieved, theoretically and add one more to it.

Some people may think those things, but they have nothing to do with infinity as its been defined and used mathematically.  To start, infinity isn't a number, so you can't "add 1" to it.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Infinity
« Reply #4 on: 16/11/2011 03:43:52 »
infinity isn't a number, so you can't "add 1" to it.

I did, but the answer still came out the same.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
Infinity
« Reply #5 on: 20/11/2011 13:01:36 »
....... the biggest number........  

Surely, there is no such thing.

As I have always said, and will go on ad infinitum, we do not have the knowledge or capability to understand infinity. Perhaps because we are finite, everything we see and perceive, we naturally need to fix a border to it. Infinity exists, it is simply beyond our comprehension.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: Infinity
« Reply #6 on: 19/12/2011 06:24:19 »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/12/2011 09:30:11 »
While others believe that it is impossible, and the biggest number plus one would result in zero.
[...]
My theory is this. If you take the largest number that can be achieved, theoretically and add one more to it. The outcome would be one.
[...]
Adding together grains of sand becomes a beach, which in turn becomes a planet, solar system, galaxy, universe...E.T.C When reaching this point you can achieve an infinite amount but it morphs into something bigger and becomes a single object.

I don't think anybody says that an infinite number of items becomes zero or one of the same class.  You are essentially saying one of the next larger class.  But, that still is a definition.  You could potentially estimate the number of atoms on Earth, or in our Galaxy.

What you are describing is a basic FRACTAL.
Each iteration of further detail (bigger or smaller) gives you the basic same overall look, or concept. 

For example, consider the Atom to the Universe.
  • Atomic Nucleus with electrons orbiting the Protons/Neutrons.
  • Planet with Moons orbiting the Planet
  • Solar System with Planets (and other stuff) orbiting the Sun.
  • Galaxy with stars orbiting the galactic core
  • etc.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 19/12/2011 09:30:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums