The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Starving!  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Thomas1987

• First timers
    • View Profile
Starving!
« on: 16/11/2011 19:17:06 »
Hey guys new to the forum so hello all! Not very good at science at all so I probably wont be able to answer anything but I'm sure I'll tickle your brains with the questions I post!

Basically, my question is all about starvation. I know and understand the dangers and risks and I can only promise anyone with concerns that I am eating fine (okay maybe a liiitle too much!) and I'm not asking this on anybodies behalf I was just wondering...

What actually happens when you don't eat? In relation to losing weight? Is this the fastest way to loose weight? What weight goes first? I've read some things that say the first weight to go when you don't eat is muscle. But i read that on yahoo answers so... Yeah.

Thanks for reading and replying!

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Starving!
« Reply #1 on: 16/11/2011 19:30:58 »
I think muscle is the last to go. When your blood sugar starts to drop, the liver converts stored glycogen, a starch like substance, to sugar. Then I think it's fat that is converted to glucose next, and finally protein. The body probably uses whatever stored fat (fat droplets inside fat cells) it can before breaking down its own structural muscle tissue.

Offline Thomas1987

• First timers
    • View Profile
Starving!
« Reply #2 on: 16/11/2011 19:45:11 »
I can only assume that this varies from person to person but roughly how long does it take for the body to use up all the glucose before it moves onto the fat?

Edit: thanks for your reply :)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Starving!
« Reply #3 on: 16/11/2011 20:19:46 »
Note...

Your brain primarily uses Glucose as a "fuel".

Glycerin which is a minor component of fat can be used to make glucose.  The rest of fat (triglycerides) can not be used to make glucose, but rather the energy is used through ketone bodies.

Some amino acids from protein can also be broken down to make glucose...  and thus they body also breaks down muscle to maintain the glucose levels.

Most people recommend low calorie diets rather than complete starvation.  And, some individuals on hunger strikes choose to drink some juice, and eat some broth.

Offline Lamprey5

• View Profile
Starving!
« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2011 18:09:48 »
Hey guys new to the forum so hello all! Not very good at science at all so I probably wont be able to answer anything but I'm sure I'll tickle your brains with the questions I post!

Basically, my question is all about starvation. I know and understand the dangers and risks and I can only promise anyone with concerns that I am eating fine (okay maybe a liiitle too much!) and I'm not asking this on anybodies behalf I was just wondering...

What actually happens when you don't eat? In relation to losing weight? Is this the fastest way to loose weight? What weight goes first? I've read some things that say the first weight to go when you don't eat is muscle. But i read that on yahoo answers so... Yeah.

Thanks for reading and replying!

What weight goes first? It depends on what activity you are doing. Anaerobic exercise (e.g. sprinting, weight lifting) uses glycogen in your muscles for glycolysis to produce energy. If glycogen stores are low, the body breaks down its own tissues (protein into amino acids, into pyruvate) for energy. Aerobic exercise uses mostly fats for energy, but if these stores are low, the body breaks down its tissues for energy.

What happens when you don't eat? Your blood sugar levels eventually reach very low levels, at which point your body saves energy for only vital functions like fueling the heart and brain. Starving is usually an ineffective way of losing weight because it encourages binge eating later on, which usually results in increases in weight (this is even observed in rats who were starved, hinting at the evolutionary advantages to bingeing behaviour when food stores are low).

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
Starving!
« Reply #5 on: 18/11/2011 20:27:43 »
does starving prolong life & maybe increase sperm count?

The Naked Scientists Forum

Starving!
« Reply #5 on: 18/11/2011 20:27:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums