The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: back pain  (Read 2799 times)

Offline terry

• First timers
    • View Profile
back pain
« on: 19/10/2003 15:52:55 »
I have had a pain in my back for about three years, I think that it is my rhomboid muscle area. When I am in bed the pain goes away,but it becomes worse during the day especially if I twist and turn or if I carry anything.It has stopped me working out in the gym. However, I have found that stretching excercises help to ease the pain but only for a short period. Anyone with an idea of what is causing my problem?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: back pain
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2003 19:12:46 »
If stretching exercises help, then it seems the problem must be muscular in origin.  My guess is it's related to an inflammatory response.  The problem is, when people take anti-inflammatories, they take them as needed.  My take on it is that you have to take them around the clock for at least two to three weeks, whether you're hurting or not.  It breaks the pain cycle, where your body pumps out the prostaglandins in response to inflammation, then that causes pain, then you pump out more prostaglandins, etc, etc.  The idea is to break that cycle so the body can heal.  And of course, during that time, don't work out of try anything else that would irritate the muscles while they're healing.  Look into what repetitve movements you do on a daily basis that might be causing the pain. Of course, use good body mechanics.  Could be posturally related.  Any problems with curvature of the spine? Any shoulder injuries that might have caused this pain?  Any old auto accidents with injury to the neck/shoulder area?  What started the pain originally?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/10/2003 19:43:04 »
If stretching exercises help, then it seems the problem must be muscular in origin.  My guess is it's related to an inflammatory response.  The problem is, when people take anti-inflammatories, they take them as needed.  My take on it is that you have to take them around the clock for at least two to three weeks, whether you're hurting or not.  It breaks the pain cycle, where your body pumps out the prostaglandins in response to inflammation, then that causes pain, then you pump out more prostaglandins, etc, etc.  The idea is to break that cycle so the body can heal.  And of course, during that time, don't work out of try anything else that would irritate the muscles while they're healing.  Look into what repetitve movements you do on a daily basis that might be causing the pain. Of course, use good body mechanics.  Could be posturally related.  Any problems with curvature of the spine? Any shoulder injuries that might have caused this pain?  Any old auto accidents with injury to the neck/shoulder area?  What started the pain originally?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/10/2003 19:43:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums