The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Gravity  (Read 2274 times)

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
Gravity
« on: 10/05/2006 19:14:42 »
everybody knows what gravity is, but many do not know how it works.  I once saw a theory by Albert Enstien (of course) that gravity is a bend in space caused by massive objects that will cause other objects to move toward the object in much the same way as if rolling down a hill, but in space.  He was able to convince the science community by predicting that during a solar eclipse, a star behind the sun will be visible because of the bend in space becoming the shortest distance, rather than a straight line, that the light will travel because of the sun's immense gravity.  Are there any other viable theories, proven or not, of how gravity works, and exactly how the force that keeps us on this Earth works?

E=MC2... m=deg/360 X C... C= PiD

therefore E=deg/360 X 2(PiD)

Offline harryneild

• View Profile
Re: Gravity
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2006 23:51:07 »
There is a new theory called modified newtonian dynamics that predicts different magnitudes of forces that gravity exerts on masses. It tries to account for the dark matter in the universe by making the forces at longer distances more powerful. This means that the stars on the outer edges of galaxies would not require the dark matter to keep them orbiting. Now i don't know much about this theory since i have only read 1 article on it so would anybody be able to verify it, and comment on its water-tightness.

"Knowledge has to be improved, challenged, and increased constantly, or it vanishes." Peter F. Drucker
« Last Edit: 05/04/2007 21:56:10 by harryneild »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Gravity
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2006 23:51:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length