The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could gene therapy help maintain my eyesight?  (Read 1536 times)

Janet

Could gene therapy help maintain my eyesight?
« on: 20/11/2011 17:30:02 »
Janet asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Chris

I am an avid listener to your programme on  Cape Talk. 

I have just tested positive for the HLA A29 blood test after experiencing a decline in my eye-sight over the last year.  Prior to that I did not need to wear glasses until I reached 58 and needed readers.  I was a rhesus baby (2nd born and needed a blood transfusion).  The next baby was still born.  Don't know if that has anything to do with my problem.

As I still have to help bring up my daughter's baby, I am desperate for some way of slowing the progression down. I am a very fit 62 year old who boringly has an almost perfect life-style, so I would not be able to improve in this area.  I am at present taking Diamox and Acular but I have not noticed any improvement . 

I saw on Sky News a report of an operation carried out in the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford using gene therapy.  Could this possibly help me?  Would I be accepted as a private patient at this hospital?  I am a British citizen but at the moment am helping my daughter out in Cape Town during a difficult period in her life.

I know you are a very busy man but if you could perhaps point me in the right direction, I would be for ever grateful.

Kind regards
Janet

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 20/11/2011 17:30:02 by _system »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Could gene therapy help maintain my eyesight?
« on: 20/11/2011 17:30:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums