The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can drugs reverse osteoporosis?  (Read 1948 times)

Brent Bumgarner

Can drugs reverse osteoporosis?
« on: 21/11/2011 04:01:02 »
Brent Bumgarner  asked the Naked Scientists:

I Just listened to your podcast that came out on November 2 the episode talking about osteoporosis something I suffer from a result of being a quadriplegic because I have not been able to do any weight bearing exercises for the last 12 1/2 years my bones have become much less dense than a healthy person's bones on the podcast I just listened to a all called T Ereparatipe?

It can supposedly make bones regrow in a case like mine enough to make them exactly how strong is my question if I took that drug or any other that is designed to help grow new new bone tissue would I then be able to do weight-bearing exercises with both my arms and legs safely the reason I ask is obviously because I would like to have a strong skeleton and also I would like to go to a rehabilitation company especially for people with spinal cord injuries but they require a person to have strong enough bones to be able to participate while making sure a person's bones are strong enough to endure exactly how much can bones like mine be helped with a drug 

Brent Bumgarner

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 21/11/2011 04:01:02 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/2011 07:25:35 »
There are drugs that are used to treat osteoporosis in the elderly including Foxamax, although I believe there are questions on whether chronic use of Fosamax actually causes higher density, but more brittle bones.

I'm seeing notes about the use of Alendronate in paraplegics, with at least positive benefits  with the prevention of additional bone loss.  Less is written about the regrowth of bones.

Teriparatide appears to be approved for use with paraplegics, but the actual data still seems to be sparse.

I assume you are already taking high dose Calcium and Vitamin D supplements, which should at least help slow the bone loss, although perhaps not induce bone growth.

I would talk to your physician as well as the rehab company.  Perhaps there would be low-impact exercises such as swimming pool exercises that would meet your needs.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 01/12/2011 07:25:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums