The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Big Meteorite Creates Big Mysteries  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Big Meteorite Creates Big Mysteries
« on: 11/05/2006 12:58:07 »
Scientists have discovered a beach ball-sized meteorite a half-mile below a giant crater in South Africa.

The 145-million-year-old meteorite, found in the Morokweng crater, has a chemical composition unlike any known meteorite.

It is also an unusual find because it was largely unaltered by the extreme heat from the impact.

The study is detailed in the May 11 issue of the journal Nature

Full story:
http://space.com/scienceastronomy/060510_big_spaceball.html

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Big Meteorite Creates Big Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: 11/05/2006 18:30:25 »
I want more info before I'll buy the meteorite argument. I need to read the Nature article before I'll conceed anything, as SOuth Africa is a leading producer of platinum.

The described mineralogy is very similar to the Merensky Reef in the Bushveld Igneous Complex. The crater is located only 400 or 500 miles from the Reef - actually a ultramafic intrusive complex - and in my mind is very possiblly ejecta from an impact into the buried Reef structure.

If there is radioactive dating that places the "meteorite" at a date other than the 1.9 to 2 billion year age of the Bushveld complex then I'll be convinced.(For the English among us 2 billion is really 2,000 million.)

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein
« Last Edit: 11/05/2006 18:33:40 by JimBob »

Offline Vadermort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2006 02:55:47 »
It is interesting that it did not vaporise on impact. beach ball sized? it obviously would have been bigger. Do you know its composition? My uneducated guess would be that it is composed of high melting point metals rare on earth. It would be worth a lot of money i bet. half a mile down!? has to be very old.

b.s

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2006 02:55:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums