The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Would "effective microorganisms" keep my pool clear of algae?  (Read 3350 times)

Stan Hannath

Stan Hannath  asked the Naked Scientists:
   Dear Chris,

I am based in Cape Town and listen to you most weeks on Rudi's show.

I have builta natural swimming pool and am having problems with algae.

In my research I have come across EM, or Efficient Microbes. I quote:

EM Technology

"EM is a natural, probiotic technology developed for over 25 years around the world. It is based on beneficial and effective microorganisms ("EM"). The microbes in EM are non-harmful, non-pathogenic, not-genetically-engineered or modified (non-GMO), and not chemically-synthesized. The basic groups of microorganisms in EM are lactic acid bacteria (commonly found in yogurt, cheeses), yeast (bread, beer), and phototrophic bacteria ("cousins" of blue-green algae)."

This has been recommended to eradicate the algae.I am confused by this as it is also used to accelerate compost heaps and for cleaning things like stables,pig sty's etc. and even for human consumption.

I understand there are different recipes for each.

Are you aware of any scientific research to prove these claims one way or the other ?

I have tried to ask you on Rudi's show over the last 2 weeks but never manage to get through !

Stan Hannath
Noordhoek, Cape Town, South Africa
What do you think?
« Last Edit: 27/11/2011 18:01:02 by _system »

Offline Phil1907

• View Profile
Would \
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2011 17:44:23 »
Can you provide details - identities of the microbes? how the combination is supposed to work, supplier literature?

Sounds like alot of hype but I guess you could try it.

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2011 19:58:54 »
Most effective method of controlling algae is to not chlorinate at all, and introduce some fish into the pool. Koi are pretty good at algae removal, and will make the pool quite clean. As a bonus they are very relaxing to look at, and if you swim gently with them they will not be bothered by you after a while.

Offline jase880

• First timers
    • View Profile
Would \
« Reply #3 on: 29/11/2011 07:53:29 »
Hi Stan, whilst Effective Microorganisms really do have a huge range of application, swimming pools is not one of them. Yes they do eradicate algae in natural environments, but the bacteria in EM also need organic matter in order to survive, of which there is very little in a swimming pool. Our company, XXXXX, is based in XXXXX and we manufacture EM in bulk for agriculture, gardens and turfs, golf courses, waste and water remediation and animal and human health. Whilst we have had phenomenal success in handling algae in ponds and lakes, pools are just a bit too artificial to get good results.

I've realised, of late, that despite our company's success in its various fields, we have very little dialogue with, or input from, the scientific community, which is where I think there will be huge interest. If you want to find out any more about EM please feel free to contact me or go to our website at COMMERCIAL URL DELETED
J Anthony
« Last Edit: 29/11/2011 08:20:23 by Geezer »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Would \
« Reply #3 on: 29/11/2011 07:53:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums