The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Soyoudidit this is where you arrive if you solve the GCHQ code  (Read 2502 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There are simple ways to arrive there without cracking the code, you get a job interview for a lowly post.
When you are interviewed do you have to explain how you cracked the code or admit you let GOOGLE do it for you ?.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
http://www.gchq.gov.uk/challenges/Pages/index.aspx

Hmmm.
I got the first line of their puzzle cracked in my head:

SEGAP ELZZUP RUO OT EMOCLEW

But, it looks like it will take a little more thought for the rest.

One would have to ask what they are asking you to do, what the rules are, and what you did.

It looks like they have a language test. 
Some Russian,
Some ???
Some Chinese
Some Arabic
Some Japanese
Maybe some Portugese???  And something from the Great White North...  Somewhere?

If they are expecting you to speak a few languages.  You can dump the languages into Google Translate.  One might recognize that they were machine translations.  Certainly you would break down in an interview if they start speaking a foreign language to you that you had cheated with.

I'd hate to show up to work and to be put on a telephone and asked to listen to live terrorist plots in a language you've never heard!!!

Anyway...  It never hurts to use all resources available to come up with a solution.  However, just skipping to the answer really is just cheating.  And if they ask you how you translated a line, or solved a cypher, you have to tell them what you did.

A while ago I presented a photo of a bucksaw raker tooth gauge.  Someone figured out that they could look up patent numbers on the internet and got a hit with the device ID.  That's ok.  I do that sometimes if I'm trying to figure out what the heck an electronic part is.

Keep in mind, if you are applying for a Janitor's position, you don't want to appear overqualified!!!  They won't hire a janitor that knows a dozen languages and can crack any code in front of him!

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I tried to work out the junior challenge but could not get anywhere, would I be OK for the janitors job ?

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
I went for a job at GCHQ after graduating - not as a janitor though.

Would've been a interesting place to work I dare say if I'd got in (not to mention cushy; even shoe-leather wear could bee claimed on expenses apparently!).   However, with the start of the Iraq war a few years later I'm kinda glad I didn't get in!
[thinking dodgy dossiers, etc]

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums