The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will Flash replace Blu-Ray?  (Read 6225 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Will Flash replace Blu-Ray?
« on: 05/12/2011 04:51:18 »
I was just thinking today..  what will be the next generation of Movie Media, assuming it doesn't go to 100% network format.

Looking at my stack of VHS Tapes...  they are BIG.
DVD's and Blu-Ray are smaller, but if they are distributed with one movie per disk, it still takes up quite a bit of space.  And, of course, the disks are at risk of being scratched, and the devices have lots of moving parts that wear out.

Why not replace the Blu-Ray disks with Flash Media?  Perhaps Micro-SD format?

USB Ports, and the like, of course, wear out over time, but perhaps they could be put in an easily replaceable modular component.  I could imagine a solid state USB or micro-SD player that would have no moving parts, nothing to get dirty or dusty, and last essentially forever.

Is there a problem of not having a big enough spine to write the title with Micro-SD format?

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/2011 12:25:15 »
I would assume world domincation by a network format, particularly with the development of 4g mobile; superfast broadband; onboard storage capacity mobile deveices (phones/ tablets/laptops and e readers)

I haven't bothered with blu ray as I cannot see that it has much of a future and was unconvinved that except for capacity (which has not been an issue for any media I have consumed) it did not represent a step forward in technology.

Offline Nizzle

• Extropian by choice!
    • View Profile
    • Carnivorous Plants
« Reply #2 on: 05/12/2011 14:20:27 »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/12/2011 19:54:49 »
Forget Flash,
Entangled Atomic Particle Communication and Holographic Quantum Memory is the future! :p

I'm not holding my breath for either of those.

It seems that just because a patent exists doesn't mean that the device was actually built, works, or is practical.

There has been discussion about various types of 3-D memory for over 20 years...  yet in recent years, memory capacity of microchips has gone up by extraordinary amounts without new 3-D cube memory or processors. 

I have no doubt that the DVD & Blu-Ray formats will become relatively obsolete before there are great inroads to Quantum entanglement communication.

Distribution in Electronic Format is quite possible, although in many cases, people like to have something physical to represent their purchases.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/12/2011 20:42:52 »
I suspect Blu-Ray is about the end of the road for physical media distribution. Network distribution is just too convenient. Instant gratification usually wins.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/12/2011 20:56:40 »
I suspect Blu-Ray is about the end of the road for physical media distribution. Network distribution is just too convenient. Instant gratification usually wins.

True.
However, there may be a trade-off with quality.

Fixed media capacity can be HUGE.

While 1080p is nice...  A 10+ GB download is NOT!!!  And, it certainly doesn't provide instant gratification.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/12/2011 21:54:54 »

True.
However, there may be a trade-off with quality.

Fixed media capacity can be HUGE.

While 1080p is nice...  A 10+ GB download is NOT!!!  And, it certainly doesn't provide instant gratification.

I'm running Netflix on a 42" 1080p panel through a Roku and I really have no complaints. The compression is remarkably good. It's not perfect of course, but I suspect most people (like me) won't care that much. 

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/12/2011 13:10:12 »
I suspect that saving stuff on a "cloud" will be the way to go, at least for personal stuff. For movies, why "own" them at all; just download on demand for a relatively small fee. You then can get them for up-to-date player technology without obsoleting shelves full of disks/tapes/flash memories (whatever). I expect there will be flexible deals available in future and that generally these will be cheaper than buying a piece of storage hardware, whatever the media. Books are much cheaper if downloaded on to a Kindle rather than in paper form (and classics are free). They also don't gather dust or involve large storage shelves (unfortunately I have a very large number already).

The only danger is the monopolistic tendencies of companies like Google, Amazon etc.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #8 on: 06/12/2011 13:29:20 »
Stone the crows, 'er indoors never did master the VCR or DVD. She's only just learnt how to pause live TV and you're on about Flash.

If I mention 'flash' I'll get a clip round the ear..... again!                                    

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06/12/2011 13:52:16 »
Don, your flashing old man hasn't got an old man, as it were.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #10 on: 06/12/2011 14:37:24 »
'er indoors is pretty handy with a carving knife!!! YEOWWWWW!         

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06/12/2011 17:53:57 »
How much does it cost for access to a web movie server in the UK? The one I use here runs about $8 a month with no limit on the number of views. Mrs G and I can simultaneously view different movies without any problems. As Graham says, it's a great way to reduce clutter. (I might have to put my complete Monty Python collection on Ebay.)

I've just about finished working my way through the entire "A Touch of Frost" series.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06/12/2011 18:50:09 »
I suspect that saving stuff on a "cloud" will be the way to go, at least for personal stuff. For movies, why "own" them at all; just download on demand for a relatively small fee. You then can get them for up-to-date player technology without obsoleting shelves full of disks/tapes/flash memories (whatever). I expect there will be flexible deals available in future and that generally these will be cheaper than buying a piece of storage hardware, whatever the media. Books are much cheaper if downloaded on to a Kindle rather than in paper form (and classics are free). They also don't gather dust or involve large storage shelves (unfortunately I have a very large number already).

The only danger is the monopolistic tendencies of companies like Google, Amazon etc.

No - the real danger is that some heartless brainless studio/music executive would decide that Casablanca works better with a cheery ending, that Psycho would be better in colour, that Adam Sandler would be better than James Stewart in Its a Wonderful World, that Jimmy Hendrix's string breaking could be fixed, that Ringos drumming could be synchronised with the rest of band, that ever giving Mel Gibson a film to direct was a mistake (OK so that one is true)...

Whilst we have hard copies the faceless bureaucracy cannot take it away from us; in today's quest for blandness and lack of offence In the Heat of the Night would end up as a buddy movie with Eddie Murphy and Tom Cruise

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06/12/2011 19:25:06 »

No - the real danger is that some heartless brainless studio/music executive would decide that Casablanca works better with a cheery ending, that Psycho would be better in colour, that Adam Sandler would be better than James Stewart in Its a Wonderful World, that Jimmy Hendrix's string breaking could be fixed, that Ringos drumming could be synchronised with the rest of band, that ever giving Mel Gibson a film to direct was a mistake (OK so that one is true)...

Whilst we have hard copies the faceless bureaucracy cannot take it away from us; in today's quest for blandness and lack of offence In the Heat of the Night would end up as a buddy movie with Eddie Murphy and Tom Cruise

Yeah! None of this would ever have happened if they had kept National Service and corporal punishment!  ::)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #14 on: 07/12/2011 09:21:46 »

corporal punishment!  ::)

Corporal Punishment? Didn't he serve under the command of General Hospital and Major Roadworks? He was a great friend of Private Parts too!

Offline peppercorn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • solar
« Reply #15 on: 07/12/2011 13:55:52 »
No - the real danger is that some heartless brainless studio/music executive would decide that Casablanca works better with a cheery ending...
Whilst we have hard copies the faceless bureaucracy cannot take it away from us; in today's quest for blandness and lack of offence

On the plus side boot-legging is probably easier in the digital age than it ever was.   An original cut of a movie or a song or whatever could be uploaded from an engineer's mobile, etc while the corporate shmucks are at lunch!

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08/12/2011 10:06:14 »
No - the real danger is that some heartless brainless studio/music executive would decide that Casablanca works better with a cheery ending...
Whilst we have hard copies the faceless bureaucracy cannot take it away from us; in today's quest for blandness and lack of offence

On the plus side boot-legging is probably easier in the digital age than it ever was.   An original cut of a movie or a song or whatever could be uploaded from an engineer's mobile, etc while the corporate shmucks are at lunch!

Definitely to an extent - look at the way Clockwork Orange continued to circulate (I saw it at a cinema) when technically it had been withdrawn from circulation by kubrick. 

Quote from: Geezer opined
Yeah! None of this would ever have happened if they had kept National Service and corporal punishment!  roll eyes
  Wouldn't know before my time.   ;D   Seriously though - do you know which cuts are served by your online movie system, is it the cinema version, the video, or the network cut?

Bit of a hobby horse of mine - I was amazed when I first saw Terminator on UK TV - they left in all the violence but cut the fairly mild sex scene - showed graphic and gory details of death and maiming but cut the section where his internal menu system brings up the response !f#*@ you a@#*ole!   Weird value system

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 08/12/2011 10:06:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums