The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What rate of acceleration can be achieved with a Maglev system?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline LetoII

• View Profile
I was wondering about the acceleration rate that can be achieved using a maglev system.
I know a maglev can support crazy weights (as in it can keep the weight of the train it has to support suspended above the ground) but i dont know at which rate it can accelerate an object.
A link supplying me with more info on maglev would be very sweet too.

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 14/08/2012 09:40:27 by chris »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Maglev train acceleration rate
« Reply #1 on: 05/12/2011 19:46:22 »

Offline LetoII

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/12/2011 21:28:22 »
slightly, but let me put it in another way:
a train being accelerated by a maglev system can reach incredible speeds, this much i know. but what i dont know is how fast the train can be accelerated. as in let's say, go from 0-100.

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/12/2011 08:36:06 »
It's not a subject I know much about but I would imagine it all comes down to the mass of the train and how much power you want to use to accelerate it, bearing in mind the comfort of the passengers.  You don't want it pulling significant g and spilling their coffee.  Linear motors can be used to launch projectiles in a similar manner to a gun so the potential for acceleration is great.  What's the maximum that a practical maglev train can accelerate at, sorry I have no idea.

Offline LetoII

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/12/2011 09:03:06 »
i know what you mean, but im not really thinking about using this system on a train with people in it :). for my idea, the faster it can accelerate an object the better, and the lighter the propulsion system is in weight the better.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/12/2011 12:55:53 »
It sounds like a pretty cool system.

Essentially using the same system to support and accelerate the train.  And, all supports serve a dual purpose of acceleration/deceleration and support, rather than just the engine in a conventional train.

You could likely get pretty good acceleration, but assuming you have a "heavy train" with a positive mass on the tracks, then your maximum acceleration is likely closely related to the upward force on the train, or essentially the same as 1G, or 9.8 m/sē.

Faster acceleration would likely require generating opposing forces such as right/left horizontal forces, or upward and downward clamping forces.

Offline LetoII

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/12/2011 05:29:05 »
let me reveal a bit more about the idea,
i need a maglev system that isnt like a normal train supporting system, mine needs to be somewhat like a circle. i think a perfect circle would actually not be the best shape but we can get to that later.
i need to have the maglev system in the best possible weight vs power output ratio but i think that if acceleration rates can be high enough then you can completely counter out the weight by using a counterweight of about the same weight.
the biggest question i still have is what a maglev system would weigh making it as small as possible in a circular form, but besides small it does need to have a high acceleration rate.

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/12/2011 08:24:56 »
As I mentioned before maglev systems can launch projectiles like bullets but that is essentially in a straight line.  Seems to me using such a system in a circle would involve large angular momentum problems which may be difficult to solve.  I don't understand your comment about a counterweight?  With counter weight sounds kinda like a regular induction motor with magnetic bearings?  If the shaft is upright the bearing magnets can be permanent magnets thereby saving both cost and energy.  I guess that's still a maglev system.

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07/12/2011 08:35:34 »
Reading your last post again it does sound like you are talking about a small induction motor with magnetic bearings.  Such a motor could be no more than a few centimetres in size and weigh only a few grams, if need be.  As I see it the acceleration rate and speed would be only limited by the motors (and power units) construction.  If it were supercooled, well...

Offline LetoII

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2011 10:35:20 »
with counterweight i meant the object i'd be pushing away inside the system.
imagine a heavyweighted object being pushed downwards by a maglev system, this would result in the object moving downwards and the system upwards.
say the total amount of weight needed for a maglev circle is 100 pounds (the numbers being right/wrong wont matter) then accelerating an object 100+ pounds  would mean the system would start moving in relativity to the object inside.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 07/12/2011 10:35:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums