The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Nicotine patches  (Read 16438 times)

Offline Laith

• View Profile
Nicotine patches
« on: 12/05/2006 18:16:36 »
There will be a smoking ban in my city 'Montreal' starting the 31st of may, so I thought since I won't be able to smoke at bars or restaurants I might as well do what I have been trying to do for years (stop smoking!)
Nicotine patches are offered for free on Medicare so I got them last week, but didnít start applying them, Iím thinking of waiting till the 31st.

So the question is do they work??

Laith

Offline Roy P

• View Profile
Re: Nicotine patches
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2006 22:21:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laith

So the question is do they work??

Nope! Not for me. But nicotine chewing gum *did* work. The 'hit' is more tangible. Unfortunately, I'm still addicted to the bloody gum -- 12-years later!

Still, I've got the dose down to only one 4mg pellet per day. I chop it into eight pieces and mix those pieces with ordinary gum.

If *I* can give up smoking, *anyone* can. Thirty-five years of roll-ups using licorice paper -- 30-per day. It was a way of life, and giving up was like cutting off a limb. Once I managed a month of abstinence I was past the trough, and started the long climb back to normality.

Good luck, Laith. You'll need it -- along with will power of course.

Roy P

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2006 23:50:25 »
Roy....nicely done !!

Laith...of course patches work, just roll em up, stick some baccy in them, apply flame and off you go !! :D

Do they help you stop smoking ?...I haven't a clue but I suppose the fact that after all this time they still sell well then there must be something in them....of course, as Roy said...you need a liberal dose of will-power too !!

GOOD LUCK !!

what about your mates ?...I hope they'll be supportive of you too !!..especially as they all smoke also eh ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline lickacube

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/05/2006 04:40:35 »
a friend of mine who had smoked for years used the patches and they worked very well. the only time he had cravings and mood swings was when he got to using the lower step patches [obviously]. but it took him about three months on them, and now he isn't on anything and says he stopped having cravings for them cigs.

Offline Laith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/05/2006 06:11:12 »
Thank you guys
Roy I thought nicotine gum tasted really bad, I never tried it but thatís what I heard so I thought patches would be better for me

Yes Neal I think my friends will be supportive, actually one of them stopped smoking a week ago, and he's doing fine, he says it's really easy for him, for me that just shows how better his will power is compared to me :)

I asked a pharmacist today and he said it works with 1 out of 4 people only! so its all about will power again, but I guess it could help me, at least by motivating me more I guess

Thanks again, Iíll keep you posted on what happens, now I will keep smoking for 2 more weeks :D

Laith

Offline fmj1179

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14/05/2006 23:05:56 »
I stopped smoking when it was a full moon.  I am not usually superstitious but for some reason the only time I thought about a cigarette was to think about how long it had been since I thought about it.  If that makes any sense!  My parents tried the patch and they said that it made them have weird dreams.

Faith

I live in my own little world, but that's ok....they know me here!

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/05/2006 06:02:52 »
Hi Laith - I smoked 2-3 packs a day for years.  Tried the gum and the patch.  Neither worked for me.  My parents used both. They still smoke.  My dad now smokes and chews the gum.  My mom isn't doing either now, but she is down to about 1 or 2 a day.

November 4, 2004 was my last cigarette.  I went in the hospital and stayed for 8 days.  When I got out, I wanted one soooo badly.  I decided that if I could go 8 days, then I could quit for good, and I did.  It really did get easier every day.  Both of my parents use a nebulizer.  My mom can't walk from one end of the house to the other without needing that nebulizer.  That's what I kept thinking about.  I don't want that to ever happen to me.  My husband, parents and lots of friends smoke.  I can be around it and it doesn't bother me.  Every now and then, I want one.  That feeling comes when I'm outside and get a whiff of one, but it only lasts a few seconds.  I know if I ever take a drag off one, it's all over.

I think that these "stop smoking" products are alot like the weight loss aids.  They only work when you've made up your mind to do it.  I don't want to imply that this was easy for me and that I had no effects from it.  While in the hospital I was a real B***H, even after I got out I wasn't very nice (I know, it's hard to imagine) and I gained 70 pounds.  Perhaps if I'd used the smoking aids I wouldn't have gained weight.  

I have made another short story long.  Good luck Laith.

Carolyn
« Last Edit: 15/05/2006 06:04:36 by Carolyn »

Offline Roy P

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/05/2006 16:59:38 »
Laith. Can I give you a tip if you're going to give up: If you use gum (which, by the way, has a nice minty taste), or patches, give up and don't use either substitute for two or three days. Then start to use gum or patches. You'll notice the difference and recognise the advantage of the substitute.

Roy P

ROBERT

« Reply #8 on: 15/05/2006 17:49:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Roy P

If *I* can give up smoking, *anyone* can. Thirty-five years of roll-ups using licorice paper -- 30-per day.
 It was a way of life, and giving up was like cutting off a limb.
Roy P

There is a medical condition called "Smoker's Leg" which often necessitates amputation of toes/feet/legs.

http://bilddatenbank.medicalpicture.de/servlet/collectioning?password=gast&user=gast&r=3&script=t&c=4&p=1&order=name&po=1&col=11277&button=startsearch&simpleValue=smokers%20leg&oid=0&lng=en

If you visualze/associate the black ash on the end of a cigarette with the blackened (gangrenous) feet and toes in the above medical images, it may help you give up smoking.

A relative of mine had "smoker's leg", they were reluctant to have their first leg amputated, but a couple of years later they were enthusiastic about having their second leg removed, (it is an excruciating condition).
« Last Edit: 16/05/2006 13:21:19 by ROBERT »

Offline lickacube

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15/05/2006 18:12:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by fmj1179

My parents tried the patch and they said that it made them have weird dreams.

Yes, my boyfriend said that the box told him that if you sleep with the patch on you will have "vivid dreams". He did fall asleep with it on the second night he was on the patch, and said he woke up freaked out with a racing heart. After that he just took it off before bed, and put it on as soon as he woke up and he was fine.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16/05/2006 13:53:48 »
Hi Robert - Those pictures were disturbing and nauseating.
I've never heard of "smokers leg".  Is that actually caused by
smoking?

Carolyn
« Last Edit: 16/05/2006 13:55:52 by Carolyn »

ROBERT

« Reply #11 on: 16/05/2006 14:05:46 »
" Smokerís leg is a trivial designation for the manifestation of a severe peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAOD) or an endarteritis obliterans in the leg arteries.
Causes:-
The arterial occlusive disease develops through inflammatory alterations in the arterial walls (arteriosclerosis), which leads to the adsorption of thrombi and eventually to vascular obliteration. Mainly affected are the medium and small arteries of the extremities.
Cigarette smoking (nicotine abuse) is one of the most significant risk factors for the development of arteriosclerosis and is to be regarded as the main cause of PAOD in many patients. However, a PAOD can also occur in non-smokers, and therefore the designation ďsmokerís legĒ is not always applicable. "
http://www.flexikon.com/Smoker's_leg?PHPSESSID=242a7deb280467af8cf2584549e37dfb

Smoking is the most common cause of this condition, poorly regulated diabetes can also cause it.

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16/05/2006 14:18:14 »
Thanks Robert.  I'm going to pass this info along to my dad, who is a heavy smoker, and has type 2 diabetes.

Carolyn

ROBERT

« Reply #13 on: 16/05/2006 14:30:15 »
Some more info for your Father, Carolyn:-

" Factsheet no:6
Smoking, the heart
and circulation

Peripheral vascular disease (PVD)

Smokers have a 16 times greater risk of developing  peripheral vascular disease (blocked blood vessels in the legs or feet) than people who have never smoked.  Smokers who ignore the warning of early symptoms and continue to smoke are more likely to develop gangrene of a leg.  Cigarette smoking combines with other factors to multiply the risks of atherosclerosis.  Patients who continue to smoke after surgery for PVD are more likely to relapse, leading to amputation, and are more likely to die earlier....

The benefits of stopping smoking

Whatever a personís age, it is never too late to give up smoking. Blood is less likely to clot, and the heart can pump more blood (and therefore oxygen) around the body with less effort.  Giving up smoking reduces the risk of a heart attack and is particularly important for those who have other risk factors such as high blood pressure, raised blood cholesterol levels, are overweight or diabetic. Some studies have shown that, within five years of giving up, the risk is reduced almost to that of a non-smoker.  Giving up smoking after a coronary attack can halve the chance of a recurrence.  Stroke risk also decreases after smoking cessation. A 12 year study of female nurses found that the elevated risk in smokers disappeared within 5 years of quitting and that the decline in risk was independent of age, highlighting that it is never too late to quit. "
http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact06.html

« Last Edit: 16/05/2006 14:34:27 by ROBERT »

Offline Laith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01/06/2006 20:25:05 »
So Today was the day!
I woke up feeling good, I put the patch after I showered, but 3 hours after I wasnít feeling good at all, I ended up taking the patch off and bought a pack [:I]
Ill try again tomorrow and see what happens, I started smoking since I was 13 so I'm guessing it's not going to be easy :(

Laith
« Last Edit: 01/06/2006 20:27:01 by Laith »

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01/06/2006 22:01:46 »
Another item to consider, although men don't seem to thonk about it at all, even though they should - Smoking is the leading cause of bone decalcification or OSTEOPOROSIS.

My rhumitologist says it is worse than any medication, including prednisone, a cartico-steroid. Men do suffer from this, too.

In my problems with smoking, nothing helped. I had to make up my mind I was going to go through it and stop, feeling like a tiger with a sore tooth and acting like a babbon on amphetamines. Quiting isn't easy, so do yourself a favor and only do it once, WHILE you are young.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01/06/2006 22:52:12 »
Laith, in line with the serious advice you are being furnished with here , you should try sewing up your mouth and arranging to be fed intravenously...that has a high success rate.

Offline Laith

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01/06/2006 23:30:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Laith, in line with the serious advice you are being furnished with here , you should try sewing up your mouth and arranging to be fed intravenously...that has a high success rate.

Haha thanks for the advice Neil, I'll probably end up smoking from my nose though! :D
what about will power? how do you develop that? could it be genetic by the way?

Laith

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01/06/2006 23:43:17 »
Now that is a great question about willpower.

Some people have it in abundance but I strongly believe the more you try the easier it is to obtain good willpower. I know this from experience when losing weight many years ago...however, regarding a genetic predisposition to have willpower ?..I'm sure that's true...just like any human behaviour.

Good luck chum.

Offline optics

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02/06/2006 00:28:16 »
Have you thought about hypnosis - It really helps, although you might still want back-up.  It isn't cheap but it does treat the 'desire' to smoke rather than just the physiological 'need' to smoke.
It worked for a while for me -although I did start again after a few weeks it was mainly because my original incentive to stop had gone. Worth a shot?
good luck:)

Offline Laith

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02/06/2006 13:12:54 »
Thanks optics, sounds like a good idea, I'll try it oneday if this doesnt work :)

Laith

ROBERT

« Reply #21 on: 02/06/2006 13:54:44 »
Vote on yukky ciggy piccys:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5017616.stm

http://www.packwarnings.nhs.uk/

(Personally I think that the "smoker's leg" images posted above are a more powerful deterrent)
« Last Edit: 02/06/2006 15:41:01 by ROBERT »

Offline begonia

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02/06/2006 18:54:42 »
I stopped smoking 8 weeks ago - with the patches.  I'm now on the last couple of weeks of a 10 week course - currently on the lowest strength of 7mg.  

I still crave a ciggy.  Its habitual craving though.  Each time I stopped an activity, or changed activity, I used to smoke.  These situations still bring the urge to smoke to mind, but its not too bad.

Vivid dreams? - You betcha!!!!  Wierd, wonderful, creative, entertaining, but unfortunately none of the smutty kind.

And I crave sugar from time to time too - despite usually preferring savoury tastes.

and i've put on loads of weight - so next mountain to climb will likely include weightwatchers.

Offline Roy P

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02/06/2006 21:48:45 »
Laith. I'm most disappointed in you! When I gave up, I didn't have the help of the internet. You had all these people looking to you to give it up.

Having said that, you have to *want* to give up. You obviously didn't. After all you're young, so death and disease is far into the future -- so you think. I suggest you visit a hospital ward with patients suffering from lung cancer and emphysema!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03/06/2006 20:38:50 »
Laith I am proud of you for starting the patches, I might suggest you only use the patches, as both seem to make it harder to Quit. My mother did both and could not quit, then she swithed to the patches and worked her way down and finally quit. I must say She had already developed lung Cancer so her efforts were too late to keep her alive, but they did give her strenghth in herself and quiting made her more aware of others and the damage that the cigerrettes do do yourself and others. I am glad for you to be able to give it a go, I think like Neil said, you will build your will power over time, just hang  in there and get on the computer when you want a smoke! That's what I do when I want to eat something I should not! Quitting anything requires alot of will power and stamina to keep going! I know you can do it! Good Luck and forward Ho!....Karen

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 03/06/2006 20:38:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums