The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: God and the Universe  (Read 3336 times)

Offline tanian

• View Profile
God and the Universe
« on: 13/05/2006 16:17:10 »
I have just been reading through the post 'God Real or Not' and I finished page one... then realised there were another four to go lol.

I believe I could simplify this debate.

It all comes down to one question, as far as I can see its the ultimate question of life, and everything:

Is the Universe Infinite?

If the universe is Infinite then the implications are frankly astounding. It would explain a hell of a lot.

For example; the astoundingly fortuitous string of amazingly fortuitous events the resulted in, ultimately, our existance. Just think about the odds against any single random event that resulted in this post.

It is truly mind boggling, and it is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. But, in an Infinite Universe, it would be a certainty. Everything finite must occur if the Universe is truly infinite.

And also occur, I surmise, would God. I would perhaps even suggest that the Universe IS God. The question, as far as I can see, is whether or not the Universe is Infinite. Once we've dealt with that lets start a new post about 'is the universe sentient', and one about 'the implications of an infinite universe'. But first, the biggest question of all (and please God help me to answer it):

Is the universe finite or infinite?

another_someone

Re: God and the Universe
« Reply #1 on: 13/05/2006 16:51:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by tanian
Is the Universe Infinite?

I suspect we cannot actually know this.

We know that the universe is larger than we can possibly see (i.e. larger than the distance that could have possibly been travelled by light since the universe was created).  That we are limited to seeing only as far as light will travel means that we cannot say how far beyond that the universe might extend.  We cannot even say whether we should regard the universe beyond that point as existing at all, since we can know nothing about the universe beyond that point although the existence or non-existence of the universe beyond that point clearly does have implications for your probability calculation.

quote:

If the universe is Infinite then the implications are frankly astounding. It would explain a hell of a lot.

For example; the astoundingly fortuitous string of amazingly fortuitous events the resulted in, ultimately, our existance. Just think about the odds against any single random event that resulted in this post.

Even if the universe is finite, something must happen, and whatever happens would have an equal improbability of it happening.  You cannot judge probability based upon a single event, only based upon multiple events (if your post had, through independent causes, been repeatedly sent, then you can begin to judge a probability distribution of such a post being sent).

quote:

Once we've dealt with that lets start a new post about 'is the universe sentient',

That is an interesting question but you may have to give a clear definition of what you mean by sentient.

George

Offline tanian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/05/2006 17:29:31 »
I started a new post about the definition of God and i slipped the sentient thing in there too.

I suspect this post will get complex enough so lets try and stay directly on topic.

I take your point about probability, although I do suspect you took my example a tad literally. My fault I guess, but the point was about all the improbable things that have to happen before the post could concievably be sent - from the big bang to the ascent of man, my parents meeting, this forum existing etc. etc.

I do accept that given a chance anything can and probably will happen, but the argument I was making is that given infinite opportunity, everything MUST occur (and also, conversely, must not). That's the theory anyway, and why I believe it such an essential question.

Offline tony6789

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/05/2006 14:30:14 »
God well he's just 1 big mystery isn't he?

NEVER! underestimate youth

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 16/05/2006 14:30:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length