The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could we have received signals from Kepler-20?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline lunar11

• View Profile
Could we have received signals from Kepler-20?
« on: 26/12/2011 12:52:06 »
Hi.
Recently two Earth-like planets were discovered, which did once lie in the 'habitable-zone', but now are too hot.
My question is lets say that there was intelligent life on one of these planets once, and that they were sending radio waves in all directions, including our direction. It would take about a 1000 years for the signals to arrive to Earth. Would these signals still be arriving even if the life-forms died out millions of years ago.

I could be thinking Monolith (as in Space Odyssey 2001)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Could we have received signals from Kepler-20?
« Reply #1 on: 26/12/2011 15:44:27 »
NO.

1000 years is just a drop in the bucket as far as time.
Plus, the light we're seeing all originates at the same time, or at most within a few hours difference depending which side of the star the planet is located on.

Given time, I believe Humans could engineer weather modification systems that would save Earth from any solar-based warming cycles up to the sun entering the Red Giant phase, at which point, we may be able to eek out a living on some of the more distant planets and moons.

So...  say, 2 billion years from now, if Earth is no longer in the "habitable zone", we may still find life here.  And, may also find life on the other planets in the solar system that would not otherwise be predicted to support life.

Anyway, so my point is that if a planet could have supported "intelligent life" equal, or beyond what humanity has today.  Then if they were forced to adapt to a slow, but severe climatic change over thousands or millions of years, it is likely that they would have been able to adapt, either by modifying their planet's climate, or moving to a nearby planet or moon.
« Last Edit: 27/12/2011 03:53:03 by CliffordK »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/12/2011 15:42:06 »
I read this as a technical question as to over what distance radio commuication is possible, SETI quote a figure of 1000 ly between Aricebo size antenna and multi megawatt transmitters with 1 Hz bandwith .
This of course assumes the antenna are pointing in the right direction and the doppler shift is well known which might be a little difficult to arrange.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/12/2011 18:34:17 »
I read this as a technical question as to over what distance radio commuication is possible, SETI quote a figure of 1000 ly between Aricebo size antenna and multi megawatt transmitters with 1 Hz bandwith .
This of course assumes the antenna are pointing in the right direction and the doppler shift is well known which might be a little difficult to arrange.
A 2-way communication with a civilization 1000 lightyears away would be most difficult.
If you asked them a question, it would take 2000 years (1000 years each way) to get a response back.  I.E. one would have to wait 50 to 100 generations to get the response back.

While one might take a while to decide how the planet "Earth" should respond to such information, it would also take 2000 years to ascertain that both ends were in fact listening to the conversation, subtracting at most 100 years that Earth has been broadcasting radio and TV which may "leak" at very low power.
« Last Edit: 27/12/2011 18:39:46 by CliffordK »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/12/2011 20:50:19 »
I doubt if simple leaks from broadcasts would get to any other solar systems you need real directed power
« Last Edit: 28/12/2011 05:30:46 by syhprum »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/12/2011 22:43:39 »
I doubt if simple leaks from broadcasts would get to any other solar systems you real directed power
Does SETI broadcast?

We have been sending signals to our various satellites, both near and far.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 27/12/2011 22:43:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length