The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is an EARLY "Delivery of Convenience" appropriate?  (Read 2508 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I was listening to NPR lastnight, and they talked about a controversy over induced childbirth, or C-Section before 39 weeks.

Apparently the Normal human gestation period is about 40 weeks, with a range from about 37 to 42 weeks.

Several hospitals in the USA are now refusing to induce childbirth or to perform elective C-Section delivery before 39 weeks if it is not medically required.  They will still induce early delivery if it is of medical benefit to either the child or the mother, or both.

Some doctors, and mothers were complaining about the idea of taking the decision away from the patients and doctors, and transferring it to an administrator level. 

Anyway, it just seemed surprising that anybody would even ask for an early delivery and risk of the baby requiring an extended stay in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit).

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is an EARLY "Delivery of Convenience" appropriate?
« Reply #1 on: 28/12/2011 15:50:31 »
Having been through an induced delivery because the baby was over due, I'm surprised anyone would opt for it if they  had any idea what it was like. Your body goes from nothing to full blown contractions in about 2 minutes after they hook you up to the IV. It has no time to adjust to what is happpening.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01/01/2012 12:02:37 »
I think it is best to be less than honest about when the baby is due so that the administrators don't fret about getting it out at a precise date.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #3 on: 01/01/2012 13:01:53 »
I think this over-medicalisation of what is - let's face it - a natural process that has worked well to the tune of 7 billion people currently on Earth, 6 million years of human evolution and 100 million years of mammalian evolution before that, is ridiculous. Doctors are practising defensively - with an eye on the notional lawyer lurking in the corner - rather than common-sensibly. In my branch of medicine it's the same. Nowadays we routinely put guidelines above what's often the sensible - and much cheaper - option purely to ward off any legal challenge that might - or might not - subsequently arise...

But returning to the subject of caesarian section rates, which are close to 30% in parts of the US and UK, it's regularly claimed that this is "the safest method of delivery for mother and child". But how is this alleged "safety" computed? Are we talking in the immediate perinatal period, or does it take into account the subsequent consequences of major abdominal surgery in the mother and the elevated risk of allergy, diarrhoea and other immune consequences for the baby?

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/01/2012 17:59:57 »
Here DOH advocated natural childbirth, and breast feeding. Mostly as they are cheaper both for the rather overburdened health system, and the parents. C sections are done, but only those who are willing and able to pay will have them ( not done for free unless OBGYN can motivate it is riskier to have natural childbirth, like twins, etc)in private hospitals. 99% are uncomplicated, like it has been for recorded history.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/01/2012 04:06:33 »
I cant say I'm a complete fan of 100% natural childbirth, either. The pain was just incredible. I wished I was a marsupial.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2012 04:11:14 by cheryl j »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/01/2012 05:18:58 »
I cant say I'm a complete fan of 100% natural childbirth, either. The pain was just incredible. I wished I was a marsupial.

Funny how it seems that men are the stronger advocates for natural childbirth  ;)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06/01/2012 05:56:46 »
Funny how it seems that men are the stronger advocates for natural childbirth  ;)

[xx(]

There certainly are a number of factors to keep in mind.  Epidural spinal Blocks?  Other drugs?

RECOVERY PERIOD AFTER BIRTH?  With Vaginal vs Caesarean?

The rates of C-Section are interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarean_section#Incidence

Apparently rates are 20% to 40% on "public hospitals", but in some places, the rates jump to over 80% in private hospitals and clinics.  You have to wonder if there are other incentives to do it.

In the USA, some "low risk" births are being done in the home.  Especially following exams to verify normal birth direction, and etc, or for a mother's second child.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06/01/2012 06:11:57 »
Among other things, Mrs G was a RN and a Midwife in the UK. She actually did "home deliveries". I'm not sure the NHS in the UK has any domiciliary midwives these days, but it seemed to work quite well at the time.

Come to think of it, yours truly was born at home. Obviously, it didn't do me any harm.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #9 on: 07/01/2012 11:18:32 »
Many mothers elect to have their babies at home. Midwives come to the house to assist.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 07/01/2012 11:18:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums