The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Does the Cost Of Prescriptions Work ?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
How Does the Cost Of Prescriptions Work ?
« on: 15/05/2006 01:35:08 »
Just before I head off to ZZZZ's Land (cos I'm well Nitrazepamed out !!.......zzzzzzzzz)

Can someone explain to me the relation between the true cost of medicines on prescriptions and my GP's practice ?...do they have to pay for it ?..or a part of it ? does it come out of a budget ?

Could there be a possibility that a GP will not prescribe something purely on the basis of the cost of the medicine ?

Many Thanks

Neil....night night !

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline ponypatter

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How Does the Cost Of Prescriptions Work ?
« Reply #1 on: 18/05/2006 20:39:39 »
i'll tell you what i know, cos i have cystic fibrosis and the cost of my medication is HIGH.
i think there is a budget that the general practice or borough has to stick to. for example, each clinic may be allocated a certain amount from the council.
i have never been turned down for any treatment, but i do know that to cut down costs, you will probably always be given a generic treatment unless you specify otherwise to keep costs down.
If you dont know what a generic brand is, Zantac 75 is the companies name for a product, but you'll probably get a cheaper product labelled as ranitidine. they are exactly the same product, but you are not paying for the name. Take hayfever remedies for example. the pharmacy will give you the expensive brand over the counter, such as benadryl, but if you ask for the generic product, it will come in a plainer box with no brand name and you'll probably save a couple of pounds.

a word of warning though, ive been informed that sometimes the cheaper brand isnt always as effective, as the chemical synthesis may differ slightly. so if your treatment isn't working as well as you'd like it, ask for the branded product and see if there is any difference.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2006 13:29:27 »
Ponypatter.

THANK YOU for taking the time to answer this and your explanation is very helpful.

If I may...I know you have this horrible disease but my best wishes are sent to you.

Thanks again.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2006 13:29:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums