The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Was the Big Bang an exploding Black Hole?  (Read 11533 times)

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Was the Big Bang an exploding Black Hole?
« Reply #25 on: 08/01/2012 12:52:29 »
I was once told that asking the question of what was before the big bang is like asking what is beyond the north pole...

Easy, the South Pole.

Offline dropoutscience

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28/01/2012 18:29:07 »
what if two super black holes, say like the one in our galaxy and another galaxy collide and pull each other in? would they not possibly have enough gravity to suck in more? and if it occured could it not suck in another super black hole in another galaxy until the whole universe was sucked into a tiny unstable particle by the mass creating (if it's possible) what I would call a big bang particle? just a thought.

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29/01/2012 07:57:58 »
The universe is thought to be expanding and that expansion accelerating.  If correct and this trend is not reversed then it would appear that gravity has lost the battle and black holes will not win out. If on the other hand gravity does win then black holes could keep combining theoretically until there is just one super black hole containing all of the mass and energy of the universe unless there is some unknown process that can stop it.

I can't go into further detail in this mainline thread but it is theoretically possible that the universe may be cyclic.
« Last Edit: 29/01/2012 08:02:50 by MikeS »

Offline dchung

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11/12/2012 11:47:35 »
I'm not a smart person.. but I wanna weigh in on this to hear what you guys think .. nature tends to revolve everything , like the rain cycle or stuff like that.. So, do you think the Big Bang was a black hole that sucked in the whole 'old' universe, then exploded a new one ? .. like a universe recycling system ?.. What do u think brainy ppl ? educate me with your grand nerdliness, if you would ..  :) (with luv)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11/12/2012 15:57:33 »
We all want to know :)
And maybe we will.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16/12/2012 05:46:23 »
Re:
Was the Big Bang an exploding Black Hole?
I think the question may be worded ambiguously:
  • From a viewpoint outside the black hole, anything that passes the event horizon does not come out again intact, as far as we know [apart from diffused radiation if and when the black hole evaporates]
  • If the big bang was initially dense enough to form a black hole [seems logical, given current theories], then our viewpoint is not outside the event horizon, it is inside the event horizon.
  • So the most interesting question is not "what can cause a black hole to effectively explode [from a viewpoint outside the black hole]?"
  • But "what can cause a black hole to effectively explode [from a viewpoint inside the black hole]?"

As Yuling said:
Everything everyone says about what happens at the singularity is pure speculation.

One attempt to guide those speculations looked at light cones (the path of light emitted at a point, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_cone). They looked at light cones outside the black hole, and tried to extrapolate that to the event horizon, and then inside the event horizon. Assuming this extrapolation to have some validity, the volume inside the black hole may have consistent physics, but would not be considered "normal space" by an observer outside the black hole!

One interpretation of this extrapolation is that inside the event horizon, the dimensions of time and space are swapped, in some sense.

Could what seems to an observer outside the black hole like matter & energy falling into an extended surface over an extended period of time could seem to an observer within the black hole like a lot of energy appearing at a single point in space at a single point in time?

This conjures up an image of an Inception-like series of nested universes with twisted geometries,  in some sense embedded in one another, but cut off from one another.
« Last Edit: 16/12/2012 19:55:26 by evan_au »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #30 on: 16/12/2012 05:46:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums