The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Anyone Web Surf with a Kindle?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline lightspeed301

• View Profile
Anyone Web Surf with a Kindle?
« on: 04/01/2012 03:24:00 »
The Kindle Touch can browse. Either through a local WiFi or through your cell tower at no charge. I just don't know if it is practical to do so.
« Last Edit: 26/01/2012 02:56:26 by chris »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Web Surf a Kindle?
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/2012 05:30:07 »
Mrs G has a non-touchy Kindle and you can browse with it too. It's a bit of a pain because of the small keyboard, and it's not very easy to navigate. The touch version might be a big improvement. It should be a bit like a monochrome iPad. If it is it should be sufficient for a lot of Internet access (I think).

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/01/2012 00:21:47 »
I have the keyboard 3G version, too.  The web browser is very basic and buggy, but it works for simple sites, such as gmail (if you load the lite version).  It seems to lock up a lot, especially on sites with Java.  Obviously it doesn't do flash or anything requiring a decent frame rate. 

What I do find very useful (and very niche) is that our public transit is all tracked online via GPS on simple web pages.  Since I don't have a smart phone, I can check arrival times for when I'm out using the Kindle 3D.

Offline sciencekid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/01/2012 23:13:04 »
They have the new kindle fire, and it functions similarly to an Ipad. The internet is super fast, and I think it is available in 3g. Nice thing is that it starts at 199 USD, comparably to an ipad-599 USD in US, higher in the UK where I Live

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/01/2012 02:08:34 »
Do they take a USB keyboard/Mouse?

In the past I had a keyboard like this that I used to configure PCs with.

A full sized Thinkpad Style Keyboard with the Thinkpad Joystick thingy would be nice, and a bit more compact, but I think these are just concepts drawn by someone.

Ahh..
I see, many of the portable bluetooth keyboards I'm seeing look awfully funky.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 26/01/2012 02:08:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums