The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why are kettle (IEC) leads for high-end audio so expensive?  (Read 13947 times)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why are kettle (IEC) leads for high-end audio so expensive?
« Reply #50 on: 18/01/2012 10:51:24 »
... If you go to a live concert you will also find much of the sound equipment will be digital nowadays -

Including real-time pitch correction (autotune) ...

before ... http://www.antarestech.com/downloads/audio/BeautifullyBad.mp3   Xo

after ...  http://www.antarestech.com/downloads/audio/BeautifullyGood.mp3
« Last Edit: 18/01/2012 10:57:59 by RD »

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18/01/2012 19:36:43 »
With compression and loss I did an experiment when transferring my vinyl to digital, and found I could tell the difference between a 128k encoding and a 256k encoding. I was using Audacity and LAME, so decided that the format would be 44.1kHz 320k in future. All except one LP, which was done at 48k WAV as I needed to change the samling rate to compensate that I do not have the ability to play a 16 2/3 RPM record. Worked out well after stretching the play time, then done at the same rate as the rest. 78's got the same, though they all had a varying amount of dehiss applied to get them to be less noisy.

Bought a cheap USB cassette player now, doing tapes to Ogg now at high bitrates.

The listening tests were done in a quiet environment, with old but still good consumer equipment.  Better than the horrid stuff you get these days as a music playback system. No high end stuff, just old Kenwood separates, and decent speakers with the cabling being a twisted pair - Cat5 cable actually, lots of it around and using all 4 pairs in parallel. Better than the cheap twinflex it originally came with. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #51 on: 18/01/2012 19:36:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums