The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it common or useful to be able to control goosebumps, and pulse, at will?  (Read 244058 times)

Offline patchshorts

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello All,

The ability to do what is described here has come to me very easily since I was a child. The perception of the waves increases the higher my metabolism or physical activity. It is responsible for my study in metaphysics and occult philosophies. I believe this feeling is what the Chiness call chi, Japanese call Ki (as in Reiki). The strangest thing I have discovered regarding this phenomena is that when I have pushed this feeling of goosebumps into my hands, as if you pretend to hold a ball, and asked someone else to determine if they could sense this 'energy,' they were able to. I've performed this experiment several times and mostly come the the same conclusion. People feel some sort of vibrating in their hands. Their perception doesn't feel cool like with goosebumps.

Additionally, when 'calling' this energy into me, if the curre temperature outside is hotter than I can stand, I cease to feel hot. If it is cold outdoors, I do not feel cold and I stop shivering if doing so. I think this definitly has a link to what acient people called 'magic' or a more modern version, 'holy spirit.' Because, I favor science before philosophy and belief, I'm pretty positive that this phenomena can be studied.

Perform you're own experements!

Offline patchshorts

• First timers
    • View Profile
So Jolyon,

what do you actually <i><b>DO</b></i> to make yourself have goos pimples ? Talk us through it.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

I'll also answer this question from my own experiences:

I first noticed the natural feeling of goosebumps through music that was special to me. I thought that if I could play a song and cause this tingling, then I certainly could skip the music part and control it. Why I thought that, I do not know. I started noticing it when I would listen to certain music, events would occur in my body that were triggered by certain melodies. I continued to observe this 'event' until I could describe it roughly. This is a poor description but here it goes. It feels like there is an opening or tunnel into my chest. The tingling floods in through this hole into my chest. That is the 'event.'

I began to just simply inhale combined with the forced feeling opening up my body to this feeling. The tingling feeling was very localized in my neck and chest. Later I began to study meditation and perform visualizations where I would inhale and imagine a light emenating from my chest. As I exhaled I visualized this light getting denser. I would mentally stretch the areas of tingling where goosebumps would also form. Now that I could fill my entire body, the next phase was to beable to localize it. I began making it flow from one limb to the other, the goosebumps following along. Now I can fully control it and other people touching me when I do this can feel it flow into their body. I mentioned in an earlier post that this must be a scientific pheomena but also this must be the reason for the belief in Chi, or Ki, or any one of its names in other cultures.

This is definitley a skil that yogis can do and other 'holy' folk.

Offline Thouv

• View Profile
The following videos found on youtube are not very useful, they just show a man filming himself while giving himself goosebumps, all the while claiming that he is doing that through "chi". One point of interest is that he says that breathing is important, something which is also the case for me: if I don't breathe, I can do it, but it is not as strong.

Chi Energy: Goosebumps
"The important exercise for this is breathing, if you don't do it right, it's not going to work very well. Until you practice beyond the whole breathing thing, you're going to have trouble if you don't breathe right."

Chi Energy: Goosebumps 2
"Again the breathing is very important [...] but again, if you're going to practice this, the important thing is the breathing. Meditation helps, in the nose out the mouth, basically. When you get better at it, you won't have to breathe as heavily, but you're still going to need to do it. I'm sure that a point where you won't need to, but I personally have not found a way to avoid the whole breathing thing."

JREF Challenge Video 3
Where he thinks that voluntary goosebumps will win him James Randi's One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge.

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
Guess that's not the same method most others use in this thread, the mentioned method here isn't the same.
that dude really seems to have a tough time on getting goosebumps :o
 :D
« Last Edit: 31/05/2010 01:38:32 by gbc89 »

Offline spardanto

• View Profile
Ah the one active place in which this is still being discussed.

It's been one exceptionally hard hunt through google but finally i can say I've found others like myself.

I read every page in this topic and found it fascinating that there only appears to be a small group of people who can do this.Even more fascinating is the use of specific words,the same exact words i would use to describe this "ability" ,"power" whatever you call this.
some believe as i do,that it has healing effects,others mentioning Chi,Ki,waves,electricity all of which i would dare to say fits the description of how it feels.

In my circumstances it's helped me in a number of ways but allow me to start from the beginning.

I like many of you first came across this in childhood.It first started when i would see powerful(in terms of emotion) events,through film or via music (epic emotional music)

very quickly i realised i could do this and for what seems like forever i ave kept it secret.As i grew up I've used it in fights but could only call upon it in matters of self defence.In this state i couldn't feel pain and seemed much stronger than normal-this of course was only temporary about 20 Min's after i would begin to "come down" and return to normal.

Aside from this I've used it when doing strenuous activities such as when i was training in the army or when i needed to dig deep for extra strength i could rely on this.On top of this it could be used to cool me down and allowed me to be hyper sensitive to movement and sound,this being particularly useful during my training maneuvers when we were out on exercise during nighttime operations.

Back tracking slightly at around age 14-15 i took massive interest in eastern and native American styles of meditation (looking for answers in regard to this ability) this is where i developed it to be as powerful as it is today.

In terms of physical effect it begins at the head and flows down my arms (my arms feel this power the most along with some of my hair on my head) it begins to dissipate the further i goes down my body and the effect on my legs is not that good in comparison to the other stories I've heard form you guys.

After reading everyone elses post i wanted to ask any here whether they would like to share any info;
Anything else you've achieved,any other abilities you might have.I also wanted to see if there was any common ground between us all.

IE are we all men?
Did we all discover it as children?

basically if you want to,mention as much relevant information as you can and maybe we'll stumble onto something?

Perhaps it's origins who knows?

Offline Thouv

• View Profile
I think it is possible that this wave of energy/electricity/hormones/whatever is strongly felt in the general back-of-the-neck/head area as the origin, and I think that the goosebumps are a side-effect of this (it might be a release of adrenaline which causes this fight-or-flight response of goosebumps). What we might feel as the tingle might be the side-effect, that is: there is the rush which is caused by the actual thing going on, and then the tingling which comes from the goosebumps.

spardanto, you say that it is not quite as potent on your legs -- is it possible that you do not have very hairy legs but your arms are much hairier? This might also be a possibility as to why it seems that within those that have this ability, women are scarce, if present at all, maybe because if they do have the ability, they don't necessarily know they do (and this is an acquired ability for all of us through some kind of biofeedback, e.g. we listen to powerful music, get goosebumps, then eventually it happens often and then we learn to control it -- if someone is not aware of anything going on, they can't learn to control it).
I, for one, am a man, and it seems (for some reason) that most of the people who answered here are men (but I might be wrong).

Offline uforica

• First timers
    • View Profile
It's great to finally find a group of people who are also in touch with this ability!
I've been able to do this for a long time, but after learning and developing energy strengthening techniques through martial arts (controlled breathing and visualizing the air you breathe as energy)it seems to be much easier to do now.
I can produce goosebumps by mere thought, even inside a 100+ degree car. But like mentioned before, being inebriated from alcohol makes it harder to do. I find that when I do this my mental focus is enhanced, and also it makes me stronger. Good to meet you all!
 ;D

Offline spardanto

• View Profile
actually i have more hair oy my legs and abit less on my arms,i tohught about it too but i don't think it's related.

i think i'll go out on a limb and try and say whats on my mind.

I think this is some kind of bio-electricity,i think it's got simularities with static electricity (IE it makes your hairs go up etc.)

I'm pretty sure we are taking energy from our surroundings or something,though obviously i have no proof of any kind,it just strikes me that way.

Either way,right or wrong i'd be interested to hear anyones ideas,the wild wackey ones or the scientific ones-i'm open minded so don't worry.

regardless i don't believe that we are merely controlling our goosebump reflex,it's just not the same- i think we could mostly agree on that.

I'm wondering if we have all at some point either;
followed or been religious or had a spiritual experience
studied something like martial arts
Or meditation.

I think we've all in someway experienced one or more of these,i wonder is it these things which have brought this to the surface?

Offline uforica

• First timers
    • View Profile
Here's what I believe is happening:

It is scientifically proven that the human body produces and is surrounded by an electromagnetic field.
Our brains generate an EM field, as does our hearts. The field our hearts generate is 100 times stronger than what our brain produces.
Most people aren't actively aware of this field or think much about it. I think those of us who are talking about this are in touch with this energy and can harness and manipulate it, whether it be through focus, meditation, and/or some type of unusual natural ability. I've practiced tai-chi and qi-gong and the act of guiding the "waves" of energy as described in earlier posts correlate with the harnessing of "chi" (life energy). However, It also goes much deeper than that...

All humans on earth are surrounded by an EM field. We are all also connected to an intelligent field of energy (ether, mind of god, matrix, or whatever you wish to call it) that permeates throughout our planet and the universe. Whether you're aware of this connection or not, it exists. Those of us that can control this are one step ahead because we are aware of our own energy field and can harness it to some degree. When we form genuine heart-felt beliefs and emotions, we can do things and change our world in ways that western science is just now beginning to understand but ancient texts described in detail.

In modern times, humans have become disconnected from our world and from our true selves, and some valuable information regarding the key of our being has been lost. I'm going to stop here, because I'm getting slightly off-topic, but it is related.

How's that for "out there" lol!

« Last Edit: 08/07/2010 05:07:29 by uforica »

Offline Thouv

• View Profile
We are not directly controlling the goosebump reflex, we are not directly controlling those muscles, I believe it is just some electric signal or hormone that causes this, the fight-and-flight response, which is not as intense as a real situation (true fear) because it is controlled and conscious.
People have related the feeling of awe to the feeling of fear, and "our" kind of goosebumps is the kind that is naturally generated when feelings of awe occur (beautiful music, scenery, movie scene, etc.) and we have just learned to control them.
We should try to contact some neurobiologist/neuroscientist and ask them what exactly is released in those fight-and-flight responses (adrenaline?).
A while ago, I was at the Museum of Science in Boston and they had a special exhibit on fear. There was one "workshop" where you would place a finger in a clamp so it would measure your pulse, skin moisturizing levels, etc.. I would give myself goosebumps, and the graph would spike.
I think a lot of us will naturally tend to believe in some mystical reason for this or that we have some kind of "superpower", but I think it's simple biofeedback and we should really stick to science.

Offline spardanto

• View Profile

I think a lot of us will naturally tend to believe in some mystical reason for this or that we have some kind of "superpower", but I think it's simple biofeedback and we should really stick to science.

I agree,i think i do at times get carried away but i do also think we need to look at relgions etc.Precisely because we can soemtimes think it's a"gift" "superpower" etc it would mean thats those in the past would also have percieved it as  this.

It's hard not to look to the past and see what they said or thought
Because of this it makes logical sense to look at these theories and in particular looking at eastern styles of thinking etc.

It's no secret that eastern based relgions and medicinal trains of thought do hold some merit in scientific circles.

I guess what i'm saying is we need to walk the line between science and religion/sci-fi etc.Alot of native American medcine styles actually hold truth in science and so basically a belief has been proven through science.

We need to do the same,we need to first think of the theories and ideas and science needs to come and test the validity of our theories.We NEED to make sure science CAN prove what we are saying otherwise we are just nutters but we also need take a leap of faith every now and then and try and think of thoeries,no matter how obscure.

After all many thought the world was flat until someone said " well actually i think it's round" and took that leap of faith and sailed "off the edge"

@: uforica

An interesting theory,i hadn't thought that perhaps the energy that i think we gather from around us actually comes from the Earth's Magnetic field.In fact is it possible we are just feeling this magnetic field around us?

Birds are said to follow magnetic waves in the air for guidance when flying around,so perhaps it's not too abstract to think that other animals could feel these waves,ourselves included?

I want to explore all aspects of this,i know that i've read somewhere that there's potentially bad side effects to performing this too often.

It probably holds some truth because in general too much of something is bad for you.

Offline Austinx420x

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

For the past 2 years or so ive noticed ive been able to eaily do this thing with my eyes. i can unfocus them which seems to cause me to get goosebumps sometimes, and causes me to yawn. its like i have a full 180 degtree periferal vision. it allows me to see everything thats moves within 180 degrees of my vision, and it allows me to react to objects moving around my field of view a lot quicker than i normally would. im not saying i have any strange 'powers' or anything like that, since im more a science believer myself, but i just observed these small changes in my vision. ive learned that this might be tied to either the pituitary or pineal gland which supposedly releases melatonin which causes me to yawn. im not sure if i believe this or not. But my point is, i would really like to know; 1. is it common that other people can do this 2. what it is exactly, and 3. how is this 'ability' beneficial or uncommon in any way. if anyone can let me know anything more on this unknown ability please letme know..

Offline spardanto

• View Profile
well the difficulty is trusting sources of information.

So far it's been described as;

Scalar Energy
Etheric Energy
Qi qong(a technique of)
Healing energy
Elemental energy
Ki
Chi

Then there's the obvious "it's just goosebumps"

Each idea has it's own theory,some bizzare,some simple,some outrageous.

For me it's sounded like Qi gong hit on it centuries ago,in terms of being able to do this.They believe it heals you amongst other things.

So far scientific answers appear to say it's us tapping into our sympathetic nervous system,IE voluntarily doing a usually in-voluntary task,in our case goosebumps.There are also some people saying it relates to the animalistic part of our brains-IE it probably served a more active purpose in the past.

Depending how far you follow the last arguement into the darwin theory it's been said that when we were apes it was something in which we used to make ourselves look more agressive (like a cat that makes its hair stand on end)-if this were true it rings true that it's a redundant skill now days.

Because of all of this,science's skeptical view on the subject and the fact post people hide this ability it just isn't researched enough and so no one really knows....it's all just theoretical

Many of the above have claimed they've done "tests" but many are unverified or are of dubious repute.

In short,there's no real answer and for now until extensive testing is done,you'll have to find the answer your happiest with

fseoer2010

Me,too.When I was in college I was very much into meditation, and I could control all sorts of autonomic nervous system activities.

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
In your question of the week forum, there is some information regarding goosebumps.I have a curious [seemingly useless] ability to produce goosebumps at will, regardless of external stimuli [ie temperature, fear, excitement etc] and it has always intrigued me.

I can induce goosebumps too. I only have to imagine squeezing a wet towel that's pushing under the edge of my finger nails and I go all funny.

Offline Pumpkin

• First timers
    • View Profile
IE are we all men?
Did we all discover it as children?

basically if you want to,mention as much relevant information as you can and maybe we'll stumble onto something?

Perhaps it's origins who knows?
I first got into strenuous exercise around the age of 17, thinking I was horrendously fat at 5'5" and 98 pounds. I remember I just finished running up a steep hill and my arms were covered in goosebumps. At that time I had to wait it out for them to come down, not knowing how to control them on my own. I'm Female, turned 26 last month, recovered from my Anorexia years ago, and can control the energy almost entirely, shamefully still using this ability to run fast on the local track (And hoping to impress a few cute guys I leave in the dust ;))

On a side-note, It seems when I was dieting (The anorexic years) it was much harder to produce this energy, Like how others mentioned alcohol hindering the ability to an extent. I know - kind of obvious when there is a lack of calories (Energy), but just an FYI for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: 23/07/2010 08:09:52 by Pumpkin »

Offline spardanto

• View Profile
thank you for your response,all information is useful.

Funny you should mentioning running,i have used it myself.Infact i used it during my Army fitness entrance exam when i needed some more energy,whether the technique or that fact that i "thought it made me have more energy" was responsible....well it's yet to be seen.

Keep posting ppl,anything that might shed some light on it is a good thing.

Offline Anonymous

• First timers
    • View Profile
I can also voluntarily give myself chills and goosebumps in waves that I can consciously send to different parts of my body or all of it. So far I have done a few experiments and here they are:
Strength- when using this I was able to bench 45lbs more than I weigh and about 25 more than my usual bench.
healing- I got a few cuts about an inch long each on my arm from scraping against a brick wall and the "goosebump waves" first helped numb the pain and over continuous use the cuts healed completely in about 4 days. That is how long it usually takes for it to get a full scab.
Electricity: I was doing a physics lab on electromagnetism recently and we were given devices that could read the electric current of an object. I tested touching the sensor with and without the goosebump waves and there was a substantial difference in the readings. It definitely has some element of electricity in it. By the way just a fact, the human body normally generates the electric current of a 9 volt battery. Maybe this ability is just able to tap into that electricity and channel it.
Usage: I can send these chill waves to any part of my body, but when used normally it can either start in my chest or my brain and flow through every part of me. I can also continuously generate this specifically in my head (feels very much like my brain specifically) for up to ten seconds, but it makes something behind my eyes ache until I open my eyes and the energy escapes to the rest of my body. It also slightly feels like the energy goes out of my eyes as well.

so far no Telekinetic powers regardless of how small or light the object is that I concentrate on. (yes I've tried it).

One last thing and I personally find this the most interesting: When I send all the goosebump waves to my fingertips and put my hands on someone it seems to calm them down. And not just like a soothing touch kind of calming but an actual relaxant. The same thing happens when I try it on my dog. I don't think they physically feel the same thing we do but it definitely has an effect.
Thats all I know so far. This forum has been very interesting. I hope whoever reads this  tries out some of these experiments to confirm them. Thanks

Offline ToeKnee956

• First timers
    • View Profile
hello,
now ive created a account just to say this...

i can do the pulse sensation.. and do it to another level as stated before by slightly tensing your muscles to achieve a higher pulse... in my observation, your using your body energy. After a while u will feel drained or tired... hence using your body energy. I can see atoms in the blue sky.
Meditation is actually a useful tool used for many of years. Though has been bashed by the ignorant and knowledgeable people. There are two worlds to our lives... our own Human body and its capabilities... and our spirit or soul. To achieve higher awareness and possibilities is to learn how to control both. Though im still young (22) i have great knowledge about my body. You can't expect to fully control and harness your bodies energies or learn how to use them properly in just a couple of days or tries. It takes years of practice, but be warned. I suggest to have a strong mind. Expanding your mind and soul will grab the attention of some people....

In the old writings from the Sumerian and Babylonian civilization... they knew of "powers" of the human body and mind. Though over centuries these teachings have been kept with-in Elite or "royal" bloodlines that still exist to this day.

The human body and mind is one of the biggest mysteries today. The General public knows nothing about it except whats in the text books and what they teach u in school. But your body forms go farther than u can imagine. The only way to unlock them is to learn for yourself or try finding the teaching to unlock these "powers".
It was written in the old kingdoms of the Chinese days, they learned a technique called "CHI"
or the power of your spirit and mind. By controlling your own energy and exerting it through your hands or body. Making your inner energy into a physical form.
Learning to control your body, mind, and spirit will unlock unimaginable possibilities... "We are splitting image  to our creator, carved from stone adam is born, from his rib came eve." This is the tip of the iceberg....

Your subconscious is a power sector in the brain that actually play how u see life... When it learns.. u learn.. when it is aware of new knowledge.. so are u..

ill leave u with this...
Every meet someone new and from that point on u start to notice them everywhere now than before? Thats because your subconscious mind is now aware of them. Your subconscious filters out what it doesn't know or understand, so you dont notice it... The more you learn internally the more aware you are of your surrounding that u never noticed before. "enlightenment"
« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 10:35:21 by ToeKnee956 »

Offline Kreedz

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I've been able to control this wave thing inside me for years. The feeling is probably felt by most people at least a couple of times in their lives unconsciously while listening to good music or watching an epic part of a movie. The fact of controlling it is quite fun since the feeling can be extreme.

Now the big question no one could answer very clearly : What is it? Does anybody know someone who studies human body? It is almost sure its about an hormone being released. Anonymous guy : what kind of electric measurement device was it? I badly want a proof this is more than just goosebumps!

We really need to push the investigation further, this kind of thing does not seem well known by science.

- Kreedz
« Last Edit: 06/08/2010 03:40:19 by Kreedz »

Offline spardanto

• View Profile
it's physically difficult to get anyone from the scientific quarter without being looked at in the "your crazy way"

I mean come now how many of us have kept this secret for years upon years because we knew how people would react.

It often gets lumped in with things like Qi Gong,which seem to have elements of descriptions of what we experience by doing this ability and the problem there is that they are known to the scientific community for there un-scientific or biased testing so much so that it's now resulted in most scientists in ignoring us.

There isn't alot of us,or certainly not alot that will speak about it in fear of being "different" not to mention where do you even start analysing.I've heard everything from it being associated to our sympathetic nervous system,some say it's related to the primal part of the brain and others saying we are just thinking about emotions etc and that it's normal.

i don't buy any of those excuses but i don't want to jump to conclusions either.I would very much like to see some type of formal testing.

Offline THamilton

• First timers
    • View Profile
I've been able to raise goose-bumps at will since childhood.  And I'm curious if anyone can learn this behavior as I did.

In my case I would get goose-bumps by running my fingernails down a chalkboard.  Also found a more intense reaction came from doing the same on an old car whose outer paint has begun to oxidize.

After a while (a few months I think) I could raise goose-bumps merely by thinking of doing this.  Now I can do it at will, sending the "pulse" mentioned in some of the above posts to specific areas of the body.

For me the feeling is a combination of pleasurable and cleansing.  Like a good physical work-out.

Offline Althaezel

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi,

I've only been able to do this for a few years.  I've noticed it calms me down when I'm anxious, focuses my thoughts and bolsters my emotional well-being.  I don't know about the rest of you, but since I've taught myself to do this I haven't gotten sick.  I've woken up with the sniffles once or twice, but that only lasts for about an hour and then I feel fine.  I haven't had the flu or a cold in years. Anyone else?

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
I'm not particularly easier sick than others.

I mentioned that unfocusing eyes earlier, and it seems my left eye can go up to -6.00 and my right eye up to -5.00.
not unfocussing both 0.00.
I had it measured.
probably nothing special, right?

Offline Snow

• First timers
    • View Profile
Ohhh my...I can do this.  I thought I was the only one!  I use the muscles in my neck, right below my jaw. I've been able to do this for as long as I can remember.  I used to think it was like a porcupine, because it felt like spines coming out of my arms. 
Here's how it feels:  First, I get this warm feeling in the center of my body, even though I'm tensing my neck.  It spreads through the rest of my body quickly.  Then it comes out and make my goosebumps come out, which makes the hairs stand up, making me warmer.   I can use it in reverse, but only in REALLY hot temperatures.  I'll tense my muscle, and I'll get hot for a second, then sweat a lot.  I have always been very susceptible to heat and hives from nerves and allergies. (hives are like goosebumps, only they don't make your hair stand up, and they are itchy.)I think they are somehow connected.  I tried to tell my friends how to do it, but they can't find the muscle.  How did this happen?  I shiver randomly sometimes, even when it's extremely hot, If it can be called shivering...My body shakes and goes in waves then it stops.  This also happens sometimes when I tense the muscle.  I am amazed that there are so few people who do this.  I assume that everyone can do it, but they don't know how.

To the person who posted before me:  I can unfocus my eyes, too!  Everything goes blurry.  My younger sister is able to do this, as well, though, so it's probably not connected, as she cannot raise goosebumps.

Also, I don't get sick easily.  While my whole family is home with a cold, I go to school.  The only sickness that I've had for awhile is the flu.  This started when I was about five, and I had a horrible flu during which I couldn't eat much.  After that, I've been extremely healthy...
« Last Edit: 28/09/2010 00:39:39 by Snow »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length