The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it common or useful to be able to control goosebumps, and pulse, at will?  (Read 244960 times)

Offline sascad

• First timers
    • View Profile
I've been able to control the goosebumps also for quite a few years. Starts with a tingling feeling at the base of my head before the neck, then I can send that feeling down any part of my body to create goosebumps. It's to the point now that I can create the sensation anytime I want without any effort. Coincidentally inregards to "the_kizmet_zephyr" comment, almost all my dreams I have telekinesis.

Offline spardanto

• View Profile
Hi all

Well i'm becoming somewhat of a "regular"

scientifically speaking i keep hearing about the pituitary gland which in turn led to the hypothalemus being mentioned which then ties into varying things such as the adrenal gland.

Apparently 10,000 years or so ago they used to get into situations which would allow them to draw on the "flight or fight response" now since it's not always possible to run (particularly back then) they'd opt to fight with interesting results.

We've not really changed since then but it still rings true about the fight or flight thing.Essentially adrenaline boosts your natural abilities,makes you more receptive to your surroundings,makes you faster,stronger increases your blood flow and breathing rate.

Effecitvly making us much more capable of fighting.But to maintain that level for any period of time is difficult hence why we aren't in a continual state of "fight/flight" or "higher state of being"

The pituatary gland being responsible for many things such as tempreture and the fact it's connected to the hypothalemus and this in turn controls things like goosebumps (the involuntary kind) means that both the gland and this part of the brain working together can allow us to do what we are doing; raising our own abilities and energy levels

Now thats based on the science of things and whilst i do believe in science i have other feelings towards this ability we all have.What if we are just scratching the surface on what we control within our own minds?

At any rate i can pretty much gurantee that each and everyone of us has been in a fight or flight situation and for whatever reason (either as a direct or indirect result) we've learned to master this ability and do it at will.

Those of you who fought,have you experienced bursts of abnormal strength,speed or awareness?

Thinking on it i certainly have,from literally knocking someone off way across a room to jumping onto a 6 ft wall without "climbing" (was doing an army exercise "escaping the enemy" in case you were wondering lol)

Yet i would not describe myself as strong in my normal state

Anyways would be interested in hearin your thoughts everyone

We all do it,we all love it we all feel better for it i think it's possibly an adrenaline addiction in one sense.I know i regularly find myself doing it.Yet i'm not an adrenaline junkie,i don't do particularly dangerous things or do any sports etc that give me an "high "

If what i'm saying is true we may need to be careful how often we use the ability,overuse of adrenaline is dangerous not to mention it makes you tired.After all we are effectivly using energy at a much faster rate whilst in this "higher state"

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
Maybe everyone can elevate their adrenaline at will but won't always result in goosebumps.
What I'm saying is, maybe we all got (highly) elevated adrenaline levels. (aka stress)
And at a sertain concentration of adrenaline goosebumps kick in.
Or maybe at some point we all had stressfull times, discovered that manipulation of goosebumps at that time or close after it (easier to activate) and maintained that level of stress with the every time activating goosebumps.

Offline Anothone

• First timers
    • View Profile
I was looking for 'control goose bumps' on Google, and found this topic.

I too can control goosebumps. The pulse starts in the neck, goes to the head (chin, cheek, left an right brain - not the pituitary gland) shoulders, arms, abdominal and legs.

It started when the woman next door died through homicide, her then-boyfriend was sent to prison. I knew the woman very well, and thus it caused a major impact on my well-being. I believe that, that was the cause of me being able to control goosebumps.

The pulse is activated by control, but has an increase when I feel any emotion or outside change in temperature. Also, when there's nice music on, I can make the pulse more powerful. I also can reduce it by focusing on the place where the pulse starts - in the neck and lower spine. The only side effect I can think of is that it's causing me to transpire. I never really used it in physical excersises of any sort.

Offline saintsinner

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi I'm Jon

I'm actually surprised that there is a thread about this and I just registered to this cool site just to share my experience with this. I too could control the goosebumps thingy. This is called "BioFeedback" exercise I believe, and this kind of biofeedback is kinda basic for me. However, i think there are a lot of useful things about it. When we activate our sympathetic NS, the first response is flight or fight, and there are a lot of benefits from it depending on how much adrenaline your body is producing. Almost all symptoms accompanying the "GS" are mainly sympathetic response including an increasing pulse. I think this exercise is very useful depending on how much you utilize it. For example, using adrenaline for heavy lifting or during a fight is beneficial. But we should always remember not to use it at a time frame that we would deplete our body of energy. Using it might cause extreme fatigue. I believe this exercise is divided into controlling the sympa and parasympathetic response of our body. Hence, voluntary activation of sympathetic response could also deactivate the parasympathetic nervous system and too long might cause extreme fatigue and stress ulcers. Same reverse effects goes with utilizing the opposite response. Well my version of this is that, yes I could also activate my sympathetic response and make the goosebumps. Whenever I use this ability, I actually make myself very alert and reduce a lethargic state.  I strongly believe that this exercise is  related to tai-chi and meditation.My higher version of this thing is that, 1.  I could make my wounds heal fast 2. I can tolerate extreme hot conditions by these goosebumps and not easily get fatigued due to fluid loss 3. I could also tolerate extreme cold for some time, but this is a bit difficult 4. I have a very strong tolerance of pain when I concentrate, I even do this little trick that I putt and cross all the fingers in both of my hands and like in the game "truth or dare" and just ask someone to squeeze it, and I feel very little pain when I concentrate that the sqeezer eventually just gets tired. and lastly, I could go on for 3-4 days w/out food but with water and not feeling too weak. I tried this and even at the 3rd day of fasting, I can even still play soccer and go the the gym....But after the 4 days experiment I did, I was rested for quite some time too. Regarding connections on electrical activities that were posted earlier, I have no idea and how I wish I will have that ability too,  well I'm just hoping that this is not related to activation of a third-eye thou as to the extent of too much control ..Well that was my experience....

« Last Edit: 02/11/2010 18:18:27 by saintsinner »

Offline MWShinzou

• First timers
    • View Profile
I've been reading through this thread and felt like I should also give my 5 cents. Ever since midway through high school I noticed that when I listened to a song I really liked, a goosebump electrical like sensation would flow around me, mostly my cheeks, shoulders, neck etc. Over time I continued to experiment with it, only able to do it at a few minutes at a time before being too fatigued to do it. After a while, I began to be able to do by simulating emotions of sorrow and anger within my mind. I used this as an emotional release, or a natural high to get away from the world around me. But slowly, it became something more for me, and it began to become a part of my spirituality. I'm feel as if I could continue performing it for any duration of time, however, the longer I practice it, the harder it is to gather.

First I imagine a wind that surrounds my body. I let it flow around me, caressing me, wrapping around my arms, and filling me up. I then grab it firmly, letting it permeate through me, but at the same time, not letting it consume me. I try to imagine it flowing in all directions equally. I will then try to imagine pulling the energy, both visually and physically, from my center to my left arm, flowing all the way down it, then my right arm, left leg, and right leg. It's a wonderful thing that I am still experimenting with and developing on my own, since like many of you I'm sure, you had no teachers. Nor am I experienced in any meditative or martial art. To me, I think it could be an universal energy that flows throughout the entire universe and through all of us, binding us together. It could also be many other things, so I try not to think of a definite form for it.

I also have a hypothesis that it is the same energy that allows us to float, fly, and manipulate energy in our dreams. Sometimes I am able to fly simply by willing myself forward by controlling my inner emotions. It's truly a mysterious thing. If any one of you have any more input or sources where I can help develop the ability more, please share. I couldn't quite explain everything in this entire message, but I hope it helps, enlightens, or atleast fascinates you. Thanks :)

Offline spardanto

• View Profile
this is a direct reply to the poster above but is the same for anyone who wants to find out more on the subject.

Now i'm not a "master" or anything but over the last half year or so of searching i have gathered alot of information and insight into the subject and like you Shinzou i agree with many of the things you mention.
In particular it's relation to "healing" or other....abilities for a lack of a better word.
I am looking for those of us who are more active,those of us who wish to discuss the ability and hopefully in the process learn things from each other.Ideally i would suggest adding me;

johnbrown406@msn.com

Messenger chat would be the best but  i'm willing to chat via email,just make sure you look at your junk mail etc (past ppl have made this mistake)
hope to hear from you all

Offline adamlee

• First timers
    • View Profile
seems like the uncertainty principle applies here for me.

i can give myself goosebumps whilst imagining a wind energy surrounding my body, and also just by thinking on the pain in the world or simply tapping into that energy source without any action or thought. for me, it is impossible to say what gives me goosebumps, i can command it like others on the forum.

it definitely made a great party trick for a while, but the result of it was a disintegration of the importance i had placed on this ability. I am really glad to see others writing about this and discussing its origins, i just believe that its origins cannot be discussed in a way. that like the uncertainty principle with respect to measuring an atom, as soon as we begin to put this feeling into words it will no longer represent the truth.

love always,

Offline Chuckman

• First timers
    • View Profile
Wow where to start...I am now 26 but the first time I was able to control my goosebumps was when I was 8. It started with music, I would get all goose-bumpy when I listened to good music, at the time it was done subconsciously so I wanted to learn to control it. At a young age I wanted to learn to control the ability without the help of any music or foreign stimuli.

After 6 years of dedication and practice it became more then just goosebumps, I could enter a state of complete bliss and understanding, sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming. When I was 16 I met people in High school who could also do this. There were 3 of us and I taught them all I knew since they never experienced the bliss I was talking about. After teaching them how to attain the state of bliss I decided to give the ability a name and even gave a name to the type of person who would discover this trait.

I named it Nirvana, the energy and state that will take you to a state of complete joy and understanding....thus you are experiencing Nirvana. The name of the people who can consciously bring forth Nirvana are called "Realizers." A Realizer is a person who not only can summon Nirvana but also a person who can look outside the box, a person with morals. A Realizer is someone who is quick to learn the important things and leave behind the Bull sh**, we are a people who love our existence and seek to make the world a better place. We are all universally connected. The same energy that flows within us is the same energies of the Universe.

Not sure what else to say except that it seems I have found a few true realizers here (You know who you are) and if you wish to learn more then post and leave some info about yourself. I don't mean to toot my own horn but you won't find anyone on this forum who knows more about this then I do. I have a whole system and have been practicing this for years longer then anyone here. However that does not make me better then anyone, I was lucky to have a specific upbringing that is just too lucky. I want all humans on Earth to be happy because I love our existence...I love life and not just mine but all life.   

Offline BoyOfOceanus

• First timers
    • View Profile
I've been playing around a bit with this while using music, am i the only one that when prolonging it for a bit, feels there eyes welling up with tears?

Offline Thouv

• View Profile
BoyOfOceanus, maybe it has to do with the tensing of the forehead/eyebrows which causes your eyes to open wider and/or to stop blinking. Just an idea.

Offline BoyOfOceanus

• First timers
    • View Profile
BoyOfOceanus, maybe it has to do with the tensing of the forehead/eyebrows which causes your eyes to open wider and/or to stop blinking. Just an idea.

It happens if i have my eyes open or closed

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
BoyOfOceanus that's a common response to having too much stress hormones, releaving the stress in that manner.
You might wanna consider to not do it again or limit it, if you are often stressed.

Offline crow

• First timers
    • View Profile
My names Brad and i live in a Australia. I'm 22 and very interested in learning more about my abilities, id love to talk to people about this or learn from more advanced "goosebumpers"- my contact is bradtones@hotmail.com looking forward to exploring the possibilities :)

Offline MWShinzou

• First timers
    • View Profile
As for me, I can be reached at tailstails2k1@hotmail.com by MSN, or if you wish AIM (Pm me your request). I can also be emailed at kileehamasaki@gmail.com. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you.

Offline pumpkinvenom

• First timers
    • View Profile
ive often used the goosebumps thing to taste things while grocery shopping, to taste thru plastic, unfortunately it fails on metal...i suppose few have tried to use it externally or delve deeper in to what it can do..once i was herding sheep they of course giving me a hard time for several hours..i did the goosebumps thing, but injected hate and death into it..for 2 seconds a heard of 200+ head stood and looked me...then ran like i was a demon from hell..perhaps someone could interact with pets experimenting with the polar love and evil and record the reactions

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
I got at least one thing explained so far;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_tympani_muscle [nofollow]

Here you can read that a small percentage can actually voluntarily tension a muscle in the ear vibrating the drums making a rumbling sound.
Guess I can do that.

Another explanation found, this is for GOOSEBUMPS under control:
http://jn.physiology.org/content/1/4/342.extract [nofollow]
http://tobaccodocuments.org/ctr/HK1471168-1168.html [nofollow]
http://www.uni-kiel.de/psychologie/emotion/team/kaernbach/publications/2010_ben&al_psychophysiol.pdf [nofollow]
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T4T-521NWHJ-1&_user=10&_coverDate=01/26/2011&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=ce63cda04b66434a364d36a280350d3a&searchtype=a#sec0010 [nofollow]

So there has been research on this 'phenomenon'.
« Last Edit: 19/02/2011 00:16:05 by gbc89 »

Offline hybrid125

• First timers
    • View Profile
Wow, I just came across this forum.  I've never thought to google it in the past but there are a lot of people here that seem to have the same feelings that I've questioned over the years.  I'm a 30 year old male and I've been able to control my goosebumps for over a decade.  I can't remember when exactly it started, but nobody I've ever met has ever been able to do the same.  I have abnormal bursts of strength and energy sometimes triggering me to run or to move faster and harder.  Music sometimes triggers the goosebumps and/or energy.  I'm married and have two children.  My son is autisic.  I'm in I.T. If you saw me on the street, you would think I'm an everyday individual.  I'm a good looking guy with a not thin, but not muscular body type.  I drink somewhat heavly due to anxiety that's seems to be always prevelant.  I can't control my goosebumps as well when I drink, but when I'm completely sober, the control confuses and scares me.  Sometimes I feel like I'm invinicible, like I could plow through a foot of metal and come out the other side smiling.  I'm not that strong, but I can do somethings that suprise myself when I have that energy running through me.  If there is anyone else that can relate, please post.  There is something that is not "normal" about the way I feel.  I can see from some of the earlier posts, there are other people that feel like this too. Ψ

Offline theskybeblue

• First timers
    • View Profile
Was interesting to find this posted online, I was wondering if anyone had tried practising this while looking in a mirror at your pupils.

This came up while I was talking with a friend about what physical processes where happening in my body when I do this, and we got talking about the likelihood of it beein adrenalin/noradrenaline that I was releasing and he asked if it also made my pupils dilate which had never occured to me as I can't see my own eyes

This got me thinking and later on I tried the goose pimple/rush thing whilst looking in the mirror at my pupils, It took me considerable concentration to achieve but my pupils did dilate along with the goose pimples

I Had to keep the "rush" going for about 20-30 seconds before my pupils dilated and they went back to normal very rapidly after I stopped, so keeping them dilated for a useful amount of time would take a lot of effort, definitely an impressive party trrick though not so much for me as my eyes are very dark so it's hard to see whether my pupils are dilated or not

Try it, it's seriously freaky, I just burst out laughing at myself when I managed to do it.

Offline BoyOfOceanus

• First timers
    • View Profile
XD well heres a little something I have to add, a little mind you. I was lucky enough to procure some shrooms, and of course I had to try this while I was on this, sadly I think I waited to long to try. The mushroom definilely dehydrates you, which with this I think being hydrated is essential. It was a nice relaxing trip that had me with tears as I listened to Funcadelic's Maggot Brain..... was beautiful. Outside of that I've been researching qigong to hopefully find a better focus on breathing and such, let me know if any of you guys notice anything new. I'll definitely be trying the mirror/pupils thing, that would be a major trip.

Offline Shironin

• First timers
    • View Profile
Wow, I can't believe there are so many others out there.

I shall recount various experiences I have had while using this technique, but first, I'll explain how I go about creating the feeling.

I think it first began as an offset of music that made me feel a certain way. I realised that thinking about that particular music reignited the "waves" (as most people refer to the experience). After a while I relied on simply imagining that feeling to bring it on, and now it second nature. I do, however, do various things to intensify it. I notice it tends to be stronger when I close my eyes and focus on an imaginary spot between my eyes; in a way, as if I was trying hard to look at my third eye. Secondly, various positioning of my hands seem to create various feelings and effects (which I later found out formed part of a meditation technique called Kuji-In).

As many people have already mentioned, I use it to generate energy, but this does lead to me being drained. I have also noticed that on a much broader scale it has allowed me to control various bodily functions and exercise great deals of self control as is necessary. I have once gone for 3 days without eating while not feeling the effects of hunger. On another occasion I went for 3 days without needing to do number 2 (I never know how to say that graciously, lol :p) also without the urge to. And in my schooling career have used their toilets enough times to count on my hands. It seems that as long as I have the will to bring forth the power, it exists. I never have trouble bringing it out.

On a stranger note, I have also been able to simulate the feeling of being high. I was once pressured into drug use which I regretted, but am grateful for the experience. Now when I am around people who are high (which I really hate), I can mimic that exact same feeling to better deal with the situation and understand their mentality.

Also, not sure if this is exactly related, but I have been able to read people better as I have gotten older. I can tell personality traits, general interests and certain things about them which often creeps people out.

One other thing that may just be my imagination is that whenever a situation seems tense, it seems that I am able to change the whole atmosphere of a situation and the people involved. Its as if people forget what they are arguing about when I channel that energy or feeling with the intent of love. Uneasy situations make me feel uncomfortable very quickly, so it is almost like a reflex. I have seldom witnessed a fight in my life first hand and have never been involved in one. I have never seen a car accident happen first hand and very few people close to me and or related have died. Maybe I am just really lucky.

Anyway, just thought I'd give my input. I consider it quite a big part of my life as I use it very often in my day.

If anybody is keeping tabs of this all for reference sake, I am an 18 y/o white male from South Africa and I found out about the ability younger than what I can remember.

Offline Blake

• First timers
    • View Profile
This has surprisingly been the most informative site about this 'thing' that I've tried to find anywhere. My name is Blake, I'm 18, I live in Australia and I think I can control my goosebumps.

I think I've somehow always been able to control it, and I thought it was normal, until I showed my friends. None of them could do it. Right now, I don't need cold weather, music, too much concentration, or any emotion to trigger it, I just think of the sensation and it happens- without trying to sound pretentious. After showing it around enough at school, I can control it fairly well (:

For me it starts at the base of the back of my skull, and it feels like a mass of energy covering me like a 'layer' and I can feel it travel all around my body. Without too much effort I create many layers for about a minute, then it gets difficult. If I do it for too long, or waste my energy too quickly, my scalp starts to hurt. I don't know if this is the same with anyone else, but even if the pulses of energy start at the base of the back of the skull, my whole scalp hurts afterwards. If there is any insight into this, it would be much appreciated.

Also after reading a lot of these posts, I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed that I think there are only guys that have posted, which may be a contributing factor to this skill. I think, in order for us to better understand this, there has to be some sort of connection between everyone who has this ability. I'm going to describe some random things about myself that I don't think I've shared with a lot of people - It may not be major, but its worth a shot.

In cold weather I can wear a singlet and shorts and not get cold. In hot weather I can wear a jumper and jeans and feel fine. As a child I was pretty much never sick. I don't need a lot of sleep to function (I usually have about 5 hours every night). I did not find it difficult being vegetarian for 2 years. I feel as though I'm lucky all the time - not fortunate, but actually lucky. I once started an assignment (in English) the night before, and found out that I scored the highest in our grade :| and even more recently, I went over to my friends house (for no particular reason at all) and got 30 dollars to drive him to another friends house, and then go to the movies with his sister (: after the movies we went to a pizza place and got a free dinner (3 pizzas, 3 garlic breads, desert, coke) then took her back to her place (: (: all in all a really lucky night. I have really good balance. I love being underwater. I can read people well. I am happiest when I'm using energy, and this goosebump ability helps me to relax/sleep/concentrate/pray. I feel as though I see the world differently to others and I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason.

hopefully this description has matched some things with anyone else reading the posts on this site.

if anyone wants to reply to this, just do so on this site (:

Cheers guys,
Blake.

Offline jpass21

• First timers
    • View Profile
This forum is so awesome. I just assumed this and other abilities were common in everyone. I have long had the abilities to pop my own ears, focus my eyes at will, release goose bump waves, voluntarily activate the tensor tympani, and slow my heart rate. I remember as a child being perplexed at people who could not pop their own ears on airplanes or underwater.

While I have not noticed any increase in strength or speed, I have noticed a heightened concentration and an ability to  focus the energy in different areas. I have also often used the ability during exams, and have found that it aids in memory recall. I have always been excited about unexplained phenomena, and always hope to be a part of one.

I have also found that releasing the waves can get peoples attention, especially in a quiet room. During classes, I would try to get a certain person to look over at me. It worked about 80% of the time. Has anyone else tried this? It also works in reverse. If I concentrate on muting the energy I can bring an unusual stillness to my being and feel much less noticeable.

My email is [removed for your safety] if anyone wants to discuss this further. Good luck fellow goose bumpers!

[please use the PM system to have personal discussions with other members, regards Mod.]
« Last Edit: 27/04/2011 10:33:49 by peppercorn »

Offline jpass21

• First timers
    • View Profile
Blake,

I share many if not all of the same qualities as you. I constantly feel lucky and can read those around me. I would not describe it as telepathy, but more like subconscious empathy. It is very difficult to describe in word, but I hope you all understand. I love being underwater as well, and when I get in the right frame of mind, can hold my breath for a very long time.

One quick story you might find interesting:

I was driving to Taco Bell with my friends when we got passed by a crappy old car. The car passed us in the oncoming lane of traffic after I would not allow him to cut in front of me at the light. Right as they passed, my friends began shouting and demanding I speed up and chase them down. I, however, told them that I would drive safely and normally and that the universe would take care of it. Not more than ten seconds later, A cop pulls out of a blind driveway and pulls the car over right in front of us.

While I did not know the future, I did have an extreme instinct not to overreact. This is only one instance and I have had many similar experiences. Does any of this apply to anyone else, or am I the kookiest one on the forum?

Offline Blake

• First timers
    • View Profile
jpass21,

I'm not sure if others have had this resounding need to follow their instinct but occurrences like the one you described are common for me. In several instances I have had thoughts where I know for certain that I should do something or be somewhere - almost like I am supposed/meant to do it/bethere. A really bizarre example of this would have been when I was watching TV, I randomly turned it off, walked outside and stood next to the boot of my dads car, while he was unloading groceries. All the while I was literally watching my feet move, and thinking to myself (what am I doing?). I waited next to the car, while he was unloading, he didn't hear/see me, so I accidentally frightened him when he saw me. We had a bit of a laugh, I helped him with the rest, and we talked for about an hour about anything and everything. Its not that we don't talk, it was just good.

I did a test once, for my religion class, and we were discussing the types of roles that we would play in our class (leaders, helpers, teachers, etc.) and at the end of the test we all got back our results. I can't remember what the word was called, but I received a label (lets call it X) that no one else in the class received. After reading what X meant on the sheet, the description was: has a profound level thinking, has a good judge of character and follows their heart - will be important qualities for the end of days.

:| - the reaction from the last words

ALSO, it may be random, but considering my other post was relevant to someone, I think I should also mention a prominent random thing  abut me. I've noticed recently that if I leave my left hand in the same place for maybe half an hour, it starts to spasm. I'll hold it in front of my face and watch tensing nerve points (out of my control) control my fingers like a puppet master :| it is the weirdest feeling, not having control of a part of your body that you know is moving involuntarily..

just thought I'd mention it (: and feel free to comment

Cheers guys,
Blake.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums