Life Sciences > Physiology & Medicine

Is it common or useful to be able to control goosebumps, and pulse, at will?

<< < (6/57) > >>

Donnah:
Jolyon, I think it's great that you can control goose bumps.  Bet if you practiced you could have some interesting extra-sensory experiences, or have you already?

the_kizmet_zephyr:
I came across this topic searching for others who are also able to control parts of their sympathetic nervous system.  I too am able to control my goosebumps...making them appear on a certain arm or leg or all of my limbs.  I can also make them go away at will.  I also can control my heart rate when I want to.  It is definitely a conscious effort.  I spoke with a college anat/phys professor at one time and she told me that only a handful of people are able to do this.  Apparently we are in the company of Yogis (sp) and such who can slow their heart rate and even change its rhythm.  With practice we are supposedly able to control our temperature and some other bodily functions which are normally not within our control.  This college prof. also suggested I be studied at a university because she thinks people like us may have the skill of telekinesis (moving objects with only your mind) Go figure...  It's kind of bizarre, who knows.  Basically I think we are just very in tune to ourselves, our thoughts, our feelings, especially our physical feelings.  My theory is that we are able to record a physical feeling, interpret it, and then sort of "replay it" at will.  It is a reminder of just how much control we truly have over our bodies and minds!

Mens Militis:
I, like Cannabinoid, have studied the art of meditation, although I have never really gone deep enough to do much. The closest I could get is to increase my heart rate, but could never slow it down. However, I have known people who could which was proven by another counting their pulse. I believe that there are many things that we can do with our minds that have been repressed by the fears of religious superstition, and I would be greatly interested in studying this further.

In the case of the goosebumps, if, as Chris says, they can be triggered by thinking cold thoughts or such, which is a mental trick without actual stimuli, why couldn't they be brought on by mental concentration without the false stimuli?

I  can't explain the "waves" that Jolyon describes, but I too feel what I imagine is the same thing in one form of meditation that I do. It is very simple but helps to calm myself down before going to sleep. I will briefly explain the process so that you all can try it, and perhaps feel these waves yourself. The waves, however are controlled, in this form they do not voluntarily shoot across the body as with the goosebumps.

It is preferred that there be no noise in the room, but I use new age or relaxation music to help my concentration. You lay flat on your back on a bed or comfortable surface with legs straight and arms flat by your side. Let your head lay softly on a comfortable pillow (sometimes I use three pilows to support the sides of my head), but try to keep your body as flat as possible without using any muscles. Close your eyes and relax as completely as possible. Once your are comfortable, begin with one toe on a foot and concentrate on it, focus on relaxing it until you feel it tingle a little. Once it tingles, do all five toes, then up the foot, then continue slowly up the leg. Move from one area to the next only when the previous tingles always focus on relaxing that part (sometimes I even repeat "Relax" in my head as if commanding that body part). Once the one leg is done, move to the next and repeat the process. After the legs, move up the torso and chest, then do the arms up to the shoulder starting with fingers as with the legs and toes. Finally focus on your upper shoulders, then neck, then finally head and face. Usually by here, I am getting close to falling asleep. As you move from part to part, you can feel the tingling spread to each part as its being focused on. After completed, you can feel your whole body tingle, which feels very similar to me like the tingle you get before goosebumps.

This may take a little while to get right because it can take a lot of concentration. Any time a thought enters your head, just return to the body part and focus on it.

I get some really serious tension head aches to where I can actually feel the back of my neck spasm, and with this relaxation technique, I have learned how to control them, and even stop them at times.

Any how, just thought I would share this technique and perhaps allow you to demonstrate for yourselves how we believe that bodily functions can be controlled via concentration.

Mens Militis

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details" - Einstein

Rick:
T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jolyon,

I can also produce goosebumps at will.  I was curious about this "ability" so conducted an internet search on the topic.  This website was the first site that came up on the search results.  Unlike you, I can't control my pulse rate.  In order for me to produce the goosebumps, I have to close my eyes and concentrate slightly.  Each time that I do this, it creates a wave starting at my temples and flows to my legs.  It seems that the goosebumps only show up on my legs.  Please let me know if your experience is similar.

Rick:
T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jolyon,

I can also produce goosebumps at will.  I was interested in this "ability", so I conducted an internet search on the topic. However, I can't seem to control my pulse rate.  In order to produce the goosebumps, I have to close my eyes and concentrate slightly. Each time I do this, I can create waves at will that start at my temples and flow to my legs. The goosebumps normally only show up on my upper thigh. Please let me know if your experience is similar.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version