The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it common or useful to be able to control goosebumps, and pulse, at will?  (Read 244626 times)

Offline fearfulparadox

• First timers
    • View Profile
O.k this may help, I have stumbled upon a very interesting subject in which relates to my ability, and what sounds like most of what everyone else has said in here, study this video...........it will help explain most of our thoughts,  qi gong

feature=fvw

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
The thing with me however is I have always have had sharper senses, I have good aim with throwing, sharp eye sight, great hearing, good sense of smell, and I am a very fast runner.

My friends always thought I was inhuman haha. But I was very athletic while I was growing up, I was always swimming or doing something.

But the video.. Qi Gong.. If only we could speak to someone who did practice that form of Martial Art :) I don't know what to think of this really... I just wish I could find someone to explore it with.
« Last Edit: 21/09/2009 09:57:04 by Dimi »

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
Oh wait! Another thing. I remember this one time me and my friends were at the powerhouse musuem, and there was a test to see how much current that you could pass through your body [you put your hands on 2 pads and you complete the circuit] . My friends got around 10 ~ 15, and I was up at around 30~33.

Lol wait, a society? We aren't anything special. I think its a hunter ability passed on. We don't usually hunt much anymore.

Offline fearfulparadox

• First timers
    • View Profile
Very true, a society...perhaps not, other than online I meant of course, I have also been very athletic my whole life to, strong, fast just naturally, these so called "genetic abilities" have helped me very much in martial arts and weight lifting wich I have been doing for quite a while, one thing I can do in comparison to the qi gong is channel these "adrenaline bursts" (if you may) into my throat and have someone punch it with little or no damage to me, also in my abdominals......what I simply meant is that we should very well try to channel this "chi" within ourselfs since these monks are very real and have been practicing this for many years....scientists, it says, have proven to see this chi with heat sensors that indicate some type of "flow" through the monks body while performing their amazing abilities.....

Offline tcdao

• First timers
    • View Profile
Well hello everyone. Im back to keep you posted about some new information's about VIG(i came up with that  ;D) ok well back to the point. Well i guess we can celebrate the positive effect of VIG like it gives more strength, withstand cold weather and more stuff. Yes it is wonderful.......now brace yourself for the irony...when we activate VIG our body release epinephrine and norepinephrien which are basically the same thing, well these chemical break down the wall of our blood vessel, yes your read right...our chances of getting heart disease and cornary heart disease is very very good. The blood vessel become less elastic because the reticular fibers are gone, the heart then have to work much harder to pump blood throughout the body and also the chances are high for us to get hypertension aka high blood pressure..it suck right? yes i know what everyone is thinking now, this great "gift" "genetic mutation" "evolution" whatever you want to call it is great in a way but....it is also killing us slowly. Also if anyone smoke and can activate VIG...i recommend you stop because you will develop atherosclerosis(thickening of the blood vessel) normally near the heart. Also i just found some news...my grandfather died of heart disease, he was in the airforce, rank E7, yes he was healthy but he could also activate VIG thus we can say the chances are high this can be genetic. Some advise i like to give is exercise and try to limit the activation of VIG, sometimes it is hard because it feels good but try to control it. Also this is also a response to stress, normally when we feel stress and activate VIG, it does lower our stress level. "sigh" well i will keep everyone posted if any new information comes up. LIVE WELL PEOPLE!!!

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
Oh! Damn, I knew there was a catch. I have become very addicted to this, and now I am conerned, hahaha.

The next thing to do is to learn to live without it. I think I can manage.

But I have done this in a dream a fair few times! And I even felt it during the dream...
« Last Edit: 05/10/2009 13:34:23 by Dimi »

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
Wait! I am extremely confused. I have often compared my 'VIG' to the sensation of listening to awe-inspiring music. Am I effectively adrenaline? Or the fight-or-flight response?

When I am underpressure or doing physical work I labour much much harder to bring it out. Am I experiencing the same thing? Is there a way to test it at all? Cardiologist?

Offline eroast

• First timers
    • View Profile
I have the ability as well and it is a new thing for me, I have a theory on them, I believe it is a reaction to your body collecting energy from your immediate vicinity, I have also noticed an increase in strength and endurance as everyone else stated.
Next time you do it, try visualizing each breath as energy going into your body and see what happens. I am completely self taught, never tried meditating, don't do yoga but I do eat right, get plenty of exercise and I take whole food vitamins everyday.
Another thing someone should try is to hold your cell phone and look at the reception bars while doing it, mine goes from a steady full bars down to one or two bars every single time.

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
The only time I ever get increased strength / endurance is when I know I am about to do something strenious. When I calm, it is different.

I have been visiting the doctors, and I am NO closer to finding out what this is.

Offline tcdao

• First timers
    • View Profile
eroast, you are the man for your good observation, you got to tell me how did you stumble upon this experiment. Today before chem class, i thought about what eroast said about the cell phone bars, at first i was thinking maybe there were other varibles that may account for the situition like dead zone or something near it. But in my class i had a full bar at first, with one hand i held my phone then activate VIG, as time pass, 2 bar went down...i was shocked as hell. I lay down the phone then without touching it to let it go back to a full bar. I picked it up again, did the same thing and i got the same result. Now i will get to the second interesting thing, now instead with one hand, i held the phone with both hands and activate VIG, i had no bars at all, i created my own dead zone. WOW this is more amazing then i ever would have thought. I have the iphone 3GS, it comes with a compass, i went into that aps and told my friend to hold it so i can see what happen, the compass worked normal, i took the phone and held it with two hands and activate VIG, i disrupt the compass and it said "please remove any interference" WOW SO DAMN AMAZING!!!! This leads to more questions about VIG and if it has anything to do with some types of weak wave or energy that is coming out of the body. PLEASE IF ANYONE GOT OTHER INTERESTING EXPERIMENT TELL US SO WE MAY REDO IT AND SEE IF THE RESULT IS THE SAME. I will update more when i get more information about this.

Offline tcdao

• First timers
    • View Profile
Ok so I just found out something interesting, there are other variable that deals with the cell phone experiment. It could of two things one is heat or our hand just block the signal. So vig has nothing to do with cell phone signals. What a bummer!!!

Offline Dimi

• Prone to rambling
    • View Profile
I was told that this was once learnt in special army classes. But since mine has occured naturally it might be something different. Or rather 'my mileage my vary'

Offline xzoomx

• First timers
    • View Profile
Like everyone else here, I thought it was very common until yesterday. I discussed this with my brother and he had no idea what I was talking about. This is like when I first got my eye glasses and could see clearly and said: "Oh, does everyone see this clearly, even single leafs from the trees".

But I feel this sensation without the goosebumps (I wouldn't know anyway, my hair is thick and dry). I can get the same feeling with much more intense when I do accupressure, the waves and everything all of you discribed. Anyway, I thought I could share that I can't sleep and have rock myself to sleep, because I have RMD, similar to this guy: newbielink:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuOKOE-YINk [nonactive]

Also I have urticaria, which is rashes and I usually get them after excercise. If I do this "feeling", I think it gets worse.

One more thing I discovered is that I can perform longer, you know, eh... If I do this. :) I just do the "waves" and because of the focus my mind goes else where and I relax, still having the abundance of "resources" :).

Like someone here already suggested, I'm researching Qi gong. "Understanding Qi Gong" the video, seems very interesting (I have watched an hour) and I think the instructor is talking about what we are experiencing. Imagine the Easterners being able to do this for thousands of years, and we just discovered this. I always thought these meditations were silly, but perhaps it isn't after all. We'll see if I'm wasting my time.
« Last Edit: 10/11/2009 14:54:17 by xzoomx »

Offline Pumpkin

• First timers
    • View Profile
I know I'm a little late to be adding to this, but I can also control my energy. I've only recently confided in my Mom, since I've always thought before that everybody could do this. Although recently, I can't seem to wear watches anymore without them dying on me, especially if I'm running. I don't know if that's just a coincidence.
« Last Edit: 18/12/2009 16:45:00 by Pumpkin »

Offline smiler

• First timers
    • View Profile
Hi

Just thought i'd share my experience of the 'adrenaline boost' as i think of it. I've been able to activate the adrenaline since i was 16 (29 now), but didnt try and explain it to anyone for fear of being sent away to a loony asylum! Bravo to the people who have managed to describe the sensation so well! This is also a very difficult subject to google/research! My experience differs somewhat to most descriptions on here. I dont encounter goosebumps, but I dont think I ever get them even naturally occuring. My heart rate jumps up almost instantly and I find the sensation quite over-powering. I struggle to maintain it for more than 2minutes, during which time muscles will twitch depending where i concentrate. My most common use for it has been to keep myself awake whilst driving back from work late..its probably saved my life a few times!! I also have the uncanny ability to clear my nose/sinus within 20-40 seconds of activation, no matter how blocked up I am. It will block up again within 5-10 minutes so its only a temporary relief. Haven't read anyone else get this side effect so would be keen to hear of any more nose clearers :) Somewhat jealous about the goosebump tricks most of you have,i'll have to work on it a bit more!

I find it unusual that this area hasnt received more research to maybe explain what is actually taking place. Anyway, I look forward to any replies

Regards

Offline robbobmarley

• First timers
    • View Profile
I'm very glad to have found this post.
   I feel regularly this sensations, but i do not get googebumps, but the sensation is similar, its some sort of tingling/electrical/wave like sensation.

I discovered this ability around the 8th grade.  I do not know well what started it, but I do remember
doing mock attempts (by myself) to "gather energy" (i watched a lot of anime lol) and at some point i started
feeling small tingling energetic sensations.
   I held on to that sensation from then on, triggering it constantly whenever I could, to the intensity that I could.
   By the time I was in the 10th grade or so I remember being able to truly trigger the "waves" at will.
 Around the same time (well since the 9th grade) I became interested in the occult and metaphysical but only
in a shallow way, by reading articles and forums about topics I Googled (or yahoo'ed?). 
   I did eventually did some small yoga exercises but never stuck to it for more than 2 weeks, and usually months happened before i tried anything again.

(the GOOD part) I eventually tried a lot of breathing exercises in late 11th - early 12th grade.  This is the time my ability really skyrocketed.
   The control to trigger it was now perfect, and I could move it to specific areas of the body.
  I noticed that in the cold classrooms of my school, I could trigger this and get ''heat''.  However in the heat when I do this i do not get hot.
   I am also able to treat pain with this ability, from burns to stomach pains to even wounds, it helps a LOT, but I'm not sure about actual healing...although it does feel like it helps it happen faster.

VERY interesting findings of my personal experience:
1) Ability intensifies with daily use of a ability.
2) It can be triggered from the abdomen AND the base of the brain (for me at least).
3) It can make cold bearable, and so can it make pain bearable
4) It can be triggered with no physical stimuli, just by willing it, although breathing deeply and concentrating helps the intensity and duration.
5) Intense anger, embarassment, or other strong emotions can be converted to this sensation by willing it, it can even stop me from crying altogheter (not just the stimuli but the inner sensation and emotion) in seconds. (interesting that naturally people feel goosebumps with these emotions, although in a more balanced and natural way)
6) Alcohol and Marijuana (no judgements please, trying to share) hinder the ability, too much and i can't even do it.  (recently I can do it a bit while in this states, found out on New Years Eve Day lol)
7) For some odd reason, even if I can feel it EVERYWHERE else and tigger it anywhere; I CANNOT feel it, move the sensation, or trigger the sensation in my: Hands, Feet & Face (interesting when i get actual embarassment goosebumps most people, including me feel it strongly there).  I CAN feel it in the arms and legs, and in the back of the head all the way to the top (and very intense) but not the Face, Hands or Arms. No matter how hard I try :/

Offline Pumpkin

• First timers
    • View Profile
I found your post very interesting, robobmarley. With me also, it does feel like waves, and although I get the goosebumps, I can make them go down if I focus enough. I also know what you mean about the use of it to suppress pain. Yesterday, I wore new leather shoes out and got really bad bloody blisters, but I used the "waves" -for lack of a better term- to help with the pain, since I still had quite a few blocks to walk and was getting desperate for any sort of relief. It worked! I came home and had to wash out the blood in the boots, (god, good thing they were clearance!) but I didn't feel any pain until I quit concentrating. (My feet sting like a bitch today though!)
 I too, have noticed the energy seems to stem from the abdomen or the back of the head. And I've been playing around with this ability more and noticed if I concentrate hard enough I can make my body hot or cold. It also seems to help me deal with intense emotions and get through bad situations.
So, I guess this does mean that not everyone can do this, huh? Since I've found this forum, I've embraced rather than denied this ability. For years, I told myself "Oh, everyone can do this, you know, like when people refer to getting psyched up or having an adrenaline rush". So, this may sound corny, but it's nice to find out I'm not crazy!
Also, does anybody here get really drained after using the energy-trick...thing (whatchamacallit) after a while? It seems some days I'll have to eat or sleep a lot more than usual just to make up the energy.

Offline anhei15

• First timers
    • View Profile
when we activate VIG our body release epinephrine and norepinephrien which are basically the same thing, well these chemical break down the wall of our blood vessel, yes your read right...our chances of getting heart disease and cornary heart disease is very very good.

What are your sources for that claim?

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
I too can do goosebumps (activate/supress), control eye vision (I see perfectly, I see minimally 150% of normal eye vision), can do the hearing thing mentioned above and can instantly stop a hiccup when I got one.

though I can't do only parts of my body go goosebump like some of you mention.
I believe that controling eye vision can put a load of stress on the eyes which can raise the eye pressure.

I don't quite believe Pumpkin's theory is correct cause there hasn't been any research done on it, who knows to what levels we control hormones?
probably noone.
this is what goosebump controllers can control (or partially)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_nervous_system [nofollow]
due to the adrenaline.

while we also combine it with:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasympathetic_nervous_system [nofollow]
due to the smooth muscle control.

those two could be combined in a lot of ways, but after reading the provided links above in my reply I suspect the parasympathetic nervous system is the system most of us control since for example the eye sight is controlled by too, and maybe the sympathic nervous system reacts a little to it.
it would also be weird that through meditation such an effect could kick in if it was the sympathic system.

I found this article that supports Pumpkin's theory:
http://www.webmd.com/balance/news/20000421/anger-health-effects [nofollow]
« Last Edit: 08/04/2010 06:14:07 by gbc89 »

Offline Pumpkin

• First timers
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing the interesting links, gcb89. Although I must clarify that I theorize nothing; I was just speaking from personal experience.

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
allright, so what is your experience and how sertain are you about those?

and another interesting thing, could "the iceman" Wim Hof also do the same?
he can control his body temperature due to meditation, and been carefully examined by scientists since he can intensify his immune system through maybe the same thing.
who knows, he might could do more but won't make that public.

Offline Pumpkin

• First timers
    • View Profile
allright, so what is your experience and how sertain are you about those?

and another interesting thing, could "the iceman" Wim Hof also do the same?
he can control his body temperature due to meditation, and been carefully examined by scientists since he can intensify his immune system through maybe the same thing.
who knows, he might could do more but won't make that public.

How certain am I that I experienced what I did? I was awake at the time...
Not to be rude, but this is why I don't tell anyone these things in real life, because no one believes me. All I know is I can control pain and burns to some extent,  make myself cold or hot (Hot is harder for some reason), have had perfectly good watches with new batteries (2 of them) die on me the exact moment I utilized the energy; My cats react to the energy if I concentrate it to my fingertips and pet them: Zelda shivers and runs away, and Zoey will just stay very still and start purring (Uncommon for her, trust me). I'm starting to think I'm just insane, or making things up because deep down I must be bored or something - at least I keep telling myself that. I'm sorry, I'm no scientist, although I'm greatly interested in science, and I know this must all sound like a load of crap. I'll stop here before I babble on some more.

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
I believe you, simply cause I don't have any reason to believe the opposite.
I wanted to find out if it really destroys blood vessels, and wanna know more about this goosebump control.
what you tell about your cats is interesting, I never had that reaction from any animal. cats always seem to be even drawn to me, anyone else had such thing happened?

I can actually good visibly move the skin of my head when I tension it for goosebumps. it's pretty weird.

Offline Pumpkin

• First timers
    • View Profile
I too, can move the skin of my head. It makes my ears pin back (Caught a glimpse of myself the other day doing that. I looked pretty funny, like one pissed-off elf! :D).
 I've never heard of it destroying blood vessels before, but information regarding this subject on every website I've been to is very vague. I'll keep looking and if I stumble upon anything I'll let you know.

Offline gbc89

• View Profile
I suggest you just read wikipedia first on those topics, then you'll read that the parasymphatic nervous system is more likely connected to what's all mentioned here in this topic  ;)

funny you can move your headskin too! ;D I thought I was maybe the only one with muscle there enough to make the skin move since no-one said anything here about that.

just a thought, in a fight adrenaline often rushes up in humans and if anyone could control the parasymphatic nervous system then someone can get in an ideally physical state, being able to perform at adrenaline-pumped level with no downsides to that state to physical endurance. (normally adrenaline is more a hinder than a help, especially longer term situations)
that's cause the symphatic and parasymphatic nervous system are antagonists with one supressing the other but in such case it likely doesn't happen.

hypothetically speaking  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums