The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: JimBob update  (Read 16062 times)

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
JimBob update
« on: 16/01/2012 21:50:33 »
JimBob is undergoing back surgery today to help ease pain from pinched nerves.  Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: JimBob update
« Reply #1 on: 17/01/2012 00:14:45 »
I'm sending JimBob good energy and the intention for him to be pain-free.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2012 13:40:45 »
I can imagine JimBob's comment about the science behind that idea, Donnah, but I'm sure he would appreciate the thought :-)

Get well soon JimBob.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2012 20:58:15 »
Hugs the Jim...shmishes the Bob !

The things people do to get a bed-bath by a buxom wenchy nursey !!

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2012 01:36:55 »
Thank you for the update, Bass.  I'm keeping him in my thoughts. 

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/01/2012 02:03:03 »
Out of surgery with no complications.  Says he thinks his back is better.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/01/2012 02:05:54 »
Dear JimBob

Get your ass in gear, you silly old coot!

(What?!  - I'm supposed to be sympathetic NOW??)

OK, OK, OK!

I really hope all goes well JB.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #7 on: 18/01/2012 13:09:39 »
Tch tch tch, pinched nerves eh? Well, perhaps that'll teach you not to pinch things. And no pinching the nurse's bum! For one thing, she won't like it and for another, it'll look better on her than it will on you!

Best wishes JimBob.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18/01/2012 22:56:17 »
Get well soon JimBob!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/01/2012 19:19:33 »
Get well Jim.. I am sending more prayers and thanks that you are getting better... keep us updated.. Take care!

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23/01/2012 04:47:38 »
JB still in the hospital, but sounds more upbeat!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23/01/2012 08:26:16 »
Thanks Bass.. Keeping him in my prayers...

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30/01/2012 22:25:54 »
I trust JB is feeling pert and painless these days?

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30/01/2012 23:20:58 »
My hopes also!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31/01/2012 04:01:53 »
Thanks for letting people know, Bass. Duly noted and much appreciated.

I was better but not "better" enough.

The PROCEDURE took 20 minutes and was minimally invasive. However, it did not fix the back. The pain kept getting worse. Also, I am at present semi-paralyzed from the sternum down. Right leg useless, left leg retains some movement. Abdominal wall and back muscles are useless. I cannot sit up straight.

Diagnosis gotten today from the neurologist recommends surgery to remove excess fatty deposits in spine. I expect this to be Wed. or Thur. (Fat is normal in the spine as part of the cushioning. Too much fat is abnormal.)

The problem stems from morphine being introduced into my spinal cord by way of an implanted pump. And had I known that the morbidity rate for people with a setup such as I have is about 20% (vs. morbidity rate of 0.2% for general anesthesia) the implantation would have never happened. I am still trying to convince the doctor I want the mechanisms out of my body - period. Hell, I have lived with arthritis sine I was 21 (46 years.) I'll be damned if I am going to die from something so easily remedied.

I have had the infusion system since May, started giving me trouble in August and was so bad that I was admitted to hospital in late Dec. I have not been very active on this forum or anywhere else since then as something was dragging me down physically. Had no idea why. I have just now gotton a reasonable diagnosis and plan of action. I will post surgery date and time as soon as I know it.

I was hoping to see Bass in the field for some joint field work in late Feb. or March. Isn't going to happen.  HOWSOMEEVER - I will again be making my normal contribution - snide, rude, pithy remarks about everyone and everything - again soon.

Be afraid - be very afraid!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31/01/2012 04:07:23 »
I trust JB is feeling pert and painless these days?

I never reveal the condition of my nipples.

I can imagine JimBob's comment about the science behind that idea, Donnah, but I'm sure he would appreciate the thought :-)

Get well soon JimBob.

Graham, when it comes to the relm of the unknown I never dismiss ANY idea. have been known to pray on occasion, even. Pry on a Buddhist sense of course. Buddhism is distilled pure spiritualiy, withou the mythology. THAT I do believe in.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31/01/2012 05:06:24 »
oh jim bob...hang in there... I wish you so much better and I hope things go more in your favor from here out.....pleaae rest well and good wishes and prayers still with you...hugs ya...xxx

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #17 on: 31/01/2012 08:42:39 »

Be afraid - be very afraid!

All the best JB.

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31/01/2012 10:51:47 »
As excuses go, crippling back pain and unsuccessful/ partially successful medical intervention is  only one step up from "the dog ate my homework" ;)...

However, glad you are back, the place is not the same without you. ;D

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31/01/2012 15:40:36 »

Well, well, well. The neurologist and the neurosurgeon disagree dramatically in their opinion. The younger neurologist is recommending a rather invasive surgery but the neurosurgeon does not like the diagnosis but believes the root cause has yet to be determined. He is very unwilling to inflict a rather long and difficult surgical recovery unless there is clear and persistent evidence that the actual cause has been isolated. His experience being greater, I think his opinion should prevail.

So -- more test and more waiting on a diagnoses that both can agree upon.  Heck, I have only been waiting on a root cause diagnostic for 33 days now.

The lesson for everyone - do not count on your preconceptions to make decisions. Approach each problem with a clear, open mind.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31/01/2012 21:03:13 »
JimBob, you're one tough old buzzard!  And being one myself, I mean that in the nicest of ways.

Just remember, you are the boss, it's your body and you are the one with most at stake,  so by my calculations that makes you the final decision maker.

You may or may not want my opinion, but here it is anyway.  I like to try the path of least resistance (or least invasion in this case) first.  Your younger neurologist may be eager to prove what he can do with his surgical skills, but your older neurosurgeon has experience on his side, and when it comes to surgery I'll take experience over eagerness any day.  So basically, I agree with your thoughts.

Were you not properly informed of options and risks before the pump was put in?

Funny you mention Buddhism, because much that I've read about it is aligned with my spiritual beliefs.  I'll share with you an "unscientific" technique that may help.  I used it to help a friend who had quadruple bypass surgery and to the astonishment of her surgeon, she had no pain afterward.  I used it for my own surgery, wheeled in at noon and sitting up eating a roast beef dinner by 5pm, with very little pain.

It's visualization, but in addition, you "talk" to your body so it knows what to expect on a cellular intelligence level.  I imagine the whole process, from being wheeled in to being wheeled out of surgery in vivid detail.  If I need more information about the process or anatomical pictures or equipment pictures, I get them.  Then I can see the whole process clearly and "see" everything going just right.  While I'm visualizing the process, I'm talking to my body and explaining the whole process and telling my body that it is beneficial for my body and me.  I'm not actually talking out loud, just saying the words in my head along with the visualization. 

What the heck?  Athletes visualize and it works for them.  And you can reference the work of Dr. Deepak Chopra for info on cellular intelligence. 

I'm still sending you good energy JimBob, because you deserve good health.

Looking forward to your snide, rude, pithy remarks.

Donnah

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01/02/2012 00:20:37 »
JimBob, you're one tough old buzzard!  And being one myself, I mean that in the nicest of ways.

Be careful what you say - I just may show up at your Tibetan sky burial and pick your bones  !

Just remember, you are the boss, it's your body and you are the one with most at stake,  so by my calculations that makes you the final decision maker.

You may or may not want my opinion, but here it is anyway.  I like to try the path of least resistance (or least invasion in this case) first.  Your younger neurologist may be eager to prove what he can do with his surgical skills, but your older neurosurgeon has experience on his side, and when it comes to surgery I'll take experience over eagerness any day.  So basically, I agree with your thoughts.

The neurologist is very strong in her opinion, has called in another neurosurgeon for a second opinion. I had a talk with her this afternoon and in the absence of any other pathology, she believes this to be the root cause. So all has been postponed. I now get to decide between the second opinion, the opinion of the neurosurgeon who put the pain pump in and the neurologist. 

Were you not properly informed of options and risks before the pump was put in?

NO !!!!!

Funny you mention Buddhism, because much that I've read about it is aligned with my spiritual beliefs.  I'll share with you an "unscientific" technique that may help.  I used it to help a friend who had quadruple bypass surgery and to the astonishment of her surgeon, she had no pain afterward.  I used it for my own surgery, wheeled in at noon and sitting up eating a roast beef dinner by 5pm, with very little pain.

It's visualization, but in addition, you "talk" to your body so it knows what to expect on a cellular intelligence level.  I imagine the whole process, from being wheeled in to being wheeled out of surgery in vivid detail.  If I need more information about the process or anatomical pictures or equipment pictures, I get them.  Then I can see the whole process clearly and "see" everything going just right.  While I'm visualizing the process, I'm talking to my body and explaining the whole process and telling my body that it is beneficial for my body and me.  I'm not actually talking out loud, just saying the words in my head along with the visualization. 

What the heck?  Athletes visualize and it works for them.  And you can reference the work of Dr. Deepak Chopra for info on cellular intelligence. 

I'm still sending you good energy JimBob, because you deserve good health.

Thank you, Donna

Looking forward to your snide, rude, pithy remarks.

Donnah

I also see a hefty lawsuit on my hands for wasting over 20 insurance days. Pain and suffering alone make lucrative for a decent lawyer.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01/02/2012 18:28:59 »
In light of the additional information that the older neurosurgeon was the person who put the pump in, I change my opinion.  This fellow apparently did not inform you properly and may now be sweating over a potential lawsuit.  I think your young neurologist is doing the right thing by having another neurosurgeon weigh in.  That gives you some time to do as much research yourself as you possibly can.  You're a smart guy, you'll figure it out.

Meanwhile I'm going to be checking up on your progress and sending you good energy.

See you at my Tibetan sky burial.
« Last Edit: 01/02/2012 18:31:53 by Donnah »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02/02/2012 03:26:49 »
Best wishes, JimBob!

Offline Chemistry4me

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02/02/2012 08:12:01 »
G'day JimBob me old matey! Long time no speak. Hope you are doing well.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 02/02/2012 08:12:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums