The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: If a black hole had a magnetic field can it be felt outside the event horizon?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
If a rotating black hole had charge then presumably it would have a magnetic field. 

Could this magnetic field be felt outside the event horizon?
« Last Edit: 17/01/2012 10:30:03 by MikeS »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
I believe the magnetic field is non-particle related, thus a gravity well should not prevent it from being expressed.

However, that might bring up the question what a black hole is.  Is it a gravity well so great that photons are too massive to escape.  Or is it a point where space is expanding/contracting at a speed faster than the speed of light, in which case, if a magnetic field propagates at the speed of light, it could not escape.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile

Offline MikeS

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Devils Advocate
    • View Profile
I believe the magnetic field is non-particle related, thus a gravity well should not prevent it from being expressed.

However, that might bring up the question what a black hole is.  Is it a gravity well so great that photons are too massive to escape.  Or is it a point where space is expanding/contracting at a speed faster than the speed of light, in which case, if a magnetic field propagates at the speed of light, it could not escape.

I don't see why. Anything close enough to the event horizon gets sucked in, it does not have to have mass..

As I see it, if space time is so highly warped (curved) that not even light can escape then no field (other than gravitational) can propagate through it and that includes magnetic and charge.

I see no reason why a black hole should not have a magnetosphere but only if it originates outside the event horizon.
« Last Edit: 18/01/2012 12:00:03 by MikeS »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums