The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Methcathinone Synthesis  (Read 20778 times)

Offline stoned_children

• First timers
    • View Profile
Methcathinone Synthesis
« on: 16/05/2006 23:18:19 »
Well, i was really looking for a forum to post this in but ive already used the other forums about drugs. So never mind the fact that its a drug. It is a chemestry question and i dont think that i am breaking any of the rools.

So i want to make Methcathinone. I have been researching and i have come up with this synthesis. Please tell me if this is correct:

Some instructions, which have been removed in case anyone is stupid enough to try them and then ingest the products.
  - dave

So is that right? The only thing i need help with is getting an oxidizer. So ive been hearing about products in the 'aquarium' section of wallmart (or was it sears?) that contain potassium permanganate but im still not clear on that.

Is there any oxidizer that i can use that is more easilly available? (at the harware store)
« Last Edit: 17/05/2006 00:59:42 by daveshorts »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Re: Methcathinone Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: 16/05/2006 23:52:47 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methcathinone

Hmm... having looked this stuff up on wikipedia, I'm not going to help. Sorry, and all that.

I will, however, offer the following advice:
If you don't know exactly what you're doing, and from your post you clearly don't, you'd be very foolish to eat/snort/inject anything you've synthesised. Leaving aside the fact that mucking about with mood altering substances is pretty stupid, the effects of side products if you don't get the synthesis just right could potentially be much worse.

On the other hand if you, personally, are trying for a Darwin award[1] that's perhaps your own lookout. What really worries me is the idea of your giving your results to anyone else.

[1] http://www.darwinawards.com/

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/05/2006 23:57:40 »
Hi there,

Welcome here.

I have to ask you this but with a name called Stoned_Children I have to ask why you want to make Methcathinone ?...presumably this is for your recreational use is it ?

If so, I can't really see how we can advise you accordingly. If you can elaborate why you are wanting to make it then perhaps some guidelines will be forthcoming but don't you think the name you've chosen is a bit ambiguous to say the least ?

Men are the same as women, just inside out !
« Last Edit: 16/05/2006 23:58:15 by neilep »

Offline stoned_children

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/05/2006 00:13:54 »
Well yes, swim wants to make it to get high off of it. (swim is someone who isnt me so that im not breaking the forum rules and since swim is not me i am not admitting to doing anything illegal. swim is)

And it is still a chemistry question. Here ill put it like this:

1 Extract the psuedoephedrine
2 Oxidize the psuedoephedrine into methcathinone
3 acidify it. (i forgot the exact reason why but i know it is needed.)
4 purify it

And what would be stupid about ingesting a substance that i synthesized? lots of chemists make cat and do it too. the only difference is that im not a chemist yet so im going here to ask real chemists to assist me.

EDIT: it is completely legal to exchange information like this over the internet. Aslong as you do not admit to doing anything. (swim...)
« Last Edit: 17/05/2006 00:16:50 by stoned_children »

Offline stoned_children

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/05/2006 00:24:22 »
Oh yeah, so another thing i am confuzed with is what will the chemical form of methcathinone be if that exact synthesis is followed? (EX: freebase, HCI, etc)

So if after the oxidization is complete, if i were to basify the soulution with ammonia that would make methcathinone freebase. But apparently methcathinone freebase is unstable so i would have to add the muriatic acid too to make it a stable salt. So what does this add? (i mean what is the difference in the final product if i basify it befor adding the muriatic acid?)

See, ive been doing my research. So could you guys forget the fact that its illegal or a psychoactive and answere my CHEMISTRY question.

(which was: will that synthesis followed exactly yeild a stable usable form of methcathinone)
« Last Edit: 17/05/2006 00:25:20 by stoned_children »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/05/2006 00:30:49 »
I appreciate your honesty...but how would we feel if swim dies because of something that he/she took based on advice that was obtained from this site. The advice here is coming from individuals and are not published articles.

Yes, it is a chemistry question...but it's about the composition of a narcotic !

It's a matter of being seen to be doing the right thing. Also, this site is aligned with a radio show....it just can not be seen to de dishing out this kind of advice....I am sure you  must understand eh ?...

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline stoned_children

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17/05/2006 00:44:41 »
Oh is it?  sorry, but ive been looking for the past hour or 2 for new forums to ask this on and i found this on google.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 17/05/2006 00:44:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums