The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: do pets have bad days?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Sprool

• View Profile
do pets have bad days?
« on: 20/01/2012 12:37:42 »
I'm interested to know if animals have moods, bad days, happy days, when they wake up and feel a bit low, depressed, grumpy, and so on. There's been a lot of stuff i the past about biorhythms which I remain sceptical about, but everyone gets those days when they are just a bit down, fed up, low energy. I wondered if it was something shared by other cogniscent mammals, or is it just an extension of our own moods transferred to our pets, part of the humanizing bond that can go on between pet and owner. How much of a mood is physico-chemical inbanance and how much of it is mental state? Can the two really be separated?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: do pets have bad days?
« Reply #1 on: 24/01/2012 08:56:36 »
to be quite honest  I don't really think of pets as truly cognizant - but that aside; I think most dog days for dogs are due to a physical illness that saps energy and/or causes pain, cats are catty when something is wrong...

there is an emergent property in humans that rises from the chemical and neurological interactions - and this thing can have moods that are very difficult to explain on a physical level, I am not so sure this is the case for animals. 

I realise this is a emotional subject - but do any animals other than humans commit suicide on such a regular basis?

Offline Sprool

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2012 12:26:59 »
do any animals other than humans commit suicide on such a regular basis?
That's cos they don't have opposable thumbs.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2012 12:26:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums